• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rate my Gen V PO Team (redux)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
  • I was originally going to post this RMT after the PO tournament, but after seeing that it didn't get much activity, I decided to get this out of the way because I saw that Excadrill became an Uber and needed a replacement.

Anyway, on with the team:

Ferrothorn:
    598.gif

-Stealth Rock
    -Leech Seed
    -Gyro Ball
    -Power Whip
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP/48 Def/208 SDef
    Item: Leftovers

Ferrothorn is here to get hazards up and to check rain teams. Replaced Spikes with Leech Seed because I find Stealth Rock very useful.

Jellicent:
    593.gif

-Scald
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Recover
    -Taunt
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 248 HP/216 Def/44 Spe
    Ability: Water Absorb

Like most everyone else, I added in Jellicent for the excellent defensive synergy it has with Ferrothorn. Replaced Toxic with Will-o-Wisp since Gliscor does the Toxicing already.

Gliscor:
    472.gif

-Earthquake
    -Ice Fang
    -Toxic
    -Protect/Taunt (which one should I use?)
    Nature:Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/184 Def/72 Spe
    Item: Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal

Sigilyph used to be here to annoy opponents with Cosmic Power + Psycho Shift + Flame Orb, but Vrai suggested that I use a Conkeldurr check. Adding in Reuniclus or Gengar would increase my weakness to Dark moves, so I opted for Gliscor instead. Even though Toxic will activate Conkeldurr's Guts, I can hypothetically stall it out with Toxic, Protect and Earthquake.

Latios:
    381.gif

-Draco Meteor
    -Hidden Power (Fire)
    -Surf
    -Trick
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Scarf

Originally, Hydreigon was there, but Latios has better Special Attack and Speed, so I figured, "Why not?" It also has Trick to screw over walls

Conkeldurr:
    534.gif

-Bulk Up
    -Drain Punch
    -Stone Edge
    -Mach Punch
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 136 HP/252 Atk/120 SDef
    Ability: Guts

Conkeldurr is here due to the brute force it provides. It also deals with the Dark Pokemon that give Sigilyph a hard time.

Terrrakion
    639.gif

-Swords Dance
    -Rock Polish
    -Close Combat
    -Stone Edge
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Rock Gem/Air Balloon/Life Orb

This is the Excadrill replacement Vrai suggested. From what I've heard, it can tear down most teams with its dual STABs coupled with its boosting moves. Even though he suggested a Rock Gem to fake a Choice set, I'm still leaning on Air Balloon, for a Ground immunity, or Life Orb, for more power.

After playing with this team for a while, I realized that I was nearly completely screwed against Gliscor in the event that both Hydreigon and Jellicent are down.

In the last thread, I only accepted Gen V Pokemon as suggestions, but now, I'm open to Pokemon of other generations. Like I said before, I had to remove Excadrill due to it becoming an Uber, and I need suggestions for a replacement.

Changes to the team will be made in bold.

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    What exactly is your purpose of Sigilyph? Magic Guard Alakazam (Sub + LO with three attacks? Taunt stallbreaking set?) could fit that role with a lot more power and give you another fast threat that outspeeds most of the metagame, actually. Sun teams in general look fairly frustrating, with Hydreigon being your only solid check and it being worn down by hazards + switching into attacks etc. If you're going to try Zam, you might be able to afford running SubCM Latias over Hydreigon. You have some solid switch-ins to Latias' standard counters too so it's worth consideration, anyway.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • What exactly is your purpose of Sigilyph? Magic Guard Alakazam (Sub + LO with three attacks? Taunt stallbreaking set?) could fit that role with a lot more power and give you another fast threat that outspeeds most of the metagame, actually. Sun teams in general look fairly frustrating, with Hydreigon being your only solid check and it being worn down by hazards + switching into attacks etc. If you're going to try Zam, you might be able to afford running SubCM Latias over Hydreigon. You have some solid switch-ins to Latias' standard counters too so it's worth consideration, anyway.

Sigilyph was there to annoy/stall the opponent out, but I guess Jellicent kind of does already. I'll also consider Alakazam, but adding Latias in with it will increase my weakness to Dark/Ghost attacks.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'm bumping this thread. Come on guys, I really need help here. I know that Vrai already suggested a few things over Hydreigon and Sigilyph, but I'm in dire need of an Excadrill replacement.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I'm bumping this thread. Come on guys, I really need help here. I know that Vrai already suggested a few things over Hydreigon and Sigilyph, but I'm in dire need of an Excadrill replacement.

It depends. What exactly did you use Excadrill for? I honestly think that you probably could've changed it out before because you don't have sand on the team in the first place, but eh. You could look into Terrakion if what you're going for is a powerful and speedy attacker with the ability to bust through common walls. Honestly I think that it's very effective especially with the decline of Gliscor. If you're looking for a Rapid Spinner, then you're more or less SOL since um the ones left aren't too... wonderful. You have your choice of Hitmontop, Sandslash, Donphan... yeah.

I'd strongly consider Terrakion, though if you were I'd also look into switching out something else for a Conkeldurr check (varying from Lati@s to Reuniclus to Gengar). You could drop Hydreigon for Latios and then bring in a Scarf Terrakion, although the set I think all Terrakion should run is definitely not Scarf.

653.png

Terrakion @ Rock Gem
    Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
    Justified
    4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
    - Swords Dance
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - Rock Polish / Taunt / X-Scissor

Rock Gem allows you to feign Choice Terrakion early game, and then later OHKO an obvious Gliscor switch-in with a +2, Rock Gem-boosted Stone Edge after SR. It's really a fabulous set and nets multiple KOs per match and can often seal a game. The last slot is really your option, though honestly I've never used any of the moves there.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years

• It depends. What exactly did you use Excadrill for? I honestly think that you probably could've changed it out before because you don't have sand on the team in the first place, but eh. You could look into Terrakion if what you're going for is a powerful and speedy attacker with the ability to bust through common walls. Honestly I think that it's very effective especially with the decline of Gliscor. If you're looking for a Rapid Spinner, then you're more or less SOL since um the ones left aren't too... wonderful. You have your choice of Hitmontop, Sandslash, Donphan... yeah.

I'd strongly consider Terrakion, though if you were I'd also look into switching out something else for a Conkeldurr check (varying from Lati@s to Reuniclus to Gengar). You could drop Hydreigon for Latios and then bring in a Scarf Terrakion, although the set I think all Terrakion should run is definitely not Scarf.

653.png

Terrakion @ Rock Gem
    Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
    Justified
    4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
    - Swords Dance
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - Rock Polish / Taunt / X-Scissor

Rock Gem allows you to feign Choice Terrakion early game, and then later OHKO an obvious Gliscor switch-in with a +2, Rock Gem-boosted Stone Edge after SR. It's really a fabulous set and nets multiple KOs per match and can often seal a game. The last slot is really your option, though honestly I've never used any of the moves there.

I mainly used Excadrill to turn my opponent's use of Sandstorm against them when I'm up against Sandstorm teams. Most of the time, it was sort of dead weight, but with its ban to Ubers, I guess Terrakion isn't so bad.

All right, I'll swap Hydreigon for Latios. Since adding Gengar or Reuniclus will increase my weakness to Dark moves (though Terrakion can use them to activate Justified), I'll use Gliscor instead. Thanks.

Last edited:
    Back