• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Hardest Fight!

Years
  • OK, descrptions in the title, what was your hardest fight in HG/SS? (first time)
    I'm excluding the first time I ever played because, well, I didn't even know what I was supposed to be playing, I was just pressing A and walking around mainly. I didn't even catch Pokémon, I used my Feraligatr through the entire run (and it didn't even though Ice Fang)
    Anyway, the hardest fight to me was Red and my team was the following:
    Moltres
    Zapdos
    Entei
    Feraligatr
    Ampharos
    As you can see, no wonder I had trouble. It was possibly the worst team in history, yet after pointless amounts of grinding, I won. Anyway, what's your hardest fight?

Years
  • In the last play of Heart Gold I did, that would be Chuck. His Poliwrath killed half my team after his Primeape ripped my Sandslash apart almost effortlessly with Double Team.

And with Lance, I came very close to going from being about to beat him without losing anyone to very nearly being swept by his last Pokémon. I had to strategize to get in my last Pokémon with an Ice-type attack.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Chuck's Poliwrath with Hyponsis and dreadful Focus Punch, if my pokemon doesn't wake up I might be dead.

Clair and her Thunder-wave dragonite, BRRR

MissDreavus

Cait Sith
    Years
  • For me it was Red the first time through, I couldn't defeat him with my Soulsilver team (Mostly due to lack of good training options), so I ended up using the Platinum team I had traded over, went through the League a few times to train them up, and just barely won against Red. I literally had one Pokemon left and would have probably lost if it weren't for my Empoleon's Ice Beam freezing the Venusaur, allowing me to get in one final hit for the win. ^^

Team
    Empoleon
    Giratina
    Luxray
    Flareon
    Roserade
    Togekiss

Reactions: Sun

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • The hardest fight was definitely Red! His Pokemon are Godly powerful and with the hail conditions and the fact that some of my party members had to learn weak HM moves made it even more of a challenge.

If I can recall, my team was:
    - Feraligatr
    - Meganium
    - Typhlosion
    - Pidgeot
    - Dragonite
    - Gengar

Years
  • Anyway, the hardest fight to me was Red and my team was the following:
    Moltres
    Zapdos
    Entei
    Feraligatr
    Ampharos
    As you can see, no wonder I had trouble. It was possibly the worst team in history, yet after pointless amounts of grinding, I won. Anyway, what's your hardest fight?

Is this meant to be a joke? Three legendary pokemon, a starter, and a solid 5th pokemon? Not too shabby. Not having a full team is somewhat detrimental along with not having great type coverage, but with grinding, it's not at all surprising to discover that you won with that team.

But anyway, the hardest battle in the game is definitely Champion Lance. Without grinding, on average, you're probably going into the battle with 6 pokemon at level 40-45. This guy has three Dragonite--all with great coverage, a Gyrados, a Charizard, and an Aerodactyl. That's a stacked team.

When I play, I purposely avoid using starting pokemon, legendaries, or base 600 pokemon. Just to make the experience more difficult. I'll also purposely avoid stacking my team with ice types. Obviously, it wouldn't be a challenge to sweep Lance if I used a Lapras and Cloyster. Consequently, my battles with Lance are usually pretty epic. But even without my self-imposed rules, I still think Lance is the toughest battle. Maybe in ALL of the Pokemon games.

Years
  • It was probably Blue, he was so difficult for the team I had that I had to transfer my Lv100 female Swampert that was my original ace from Ruby. She did the job very well in the end, and since became mother of a baby Mudkip.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Red! I remember having pokemon in the low 60s when I went up to fight him? I think I'd of lost if it hadn't been for the three-in-a-row crits and endless supply of revives either.

Lance was more like a 'phew I got rid of his dragonit-- oH GOD' but he wasn't that bad! Dragon types are strong though I feel like I was a lot less underleveled for him then I was for Red.

Bobsomeness

Pure Bobsomeness
    Years
  • I felt like Pryce was pretty hard because of his Dewgong. It used rest three times and had a full restore and hyper potion before I finally beat it with my shiny Gyrados (something I don't get: the game actually gives you a free shiny and most people just make it an HM slave lol).

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Not trying to make myself sound arrogant, but I never had a difficult battle in HgSs, let alone a hardest one. I contribute that to my GSC experience, that is why I appear to be good.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • That'd probably be Chuck i had no flying types or psychic types and i had a dark type and normal type so that didnt help. Typhloshion did alot but then that Poliwrath uhh and the hypnosis i mean come on there was no beating him haha

Granzen

Pokefan
    Years
  • Maybe lance, his Dragon pokemon really strong and keep using full restore plus i don't have ice pokemon. It's really hard battle.

Years
  • Definitely red, took five hours of solid grinding, ended up with
    Ho-oh
    Piloswine
    Typhlosion
    Articuno
    Moltress
    And a Rotom lawnmower form I traded from my platinum game and changed its form in silph co.

Years
  • My hardest fight was definitely Red. I can't remember my exact team, but I was a bit under-leveled and didn't have that many great counters. I should have prepared more, I guess I was too excited to fight him!

Years
  • I remember my first runthrough with Soul Silver on an emulator, the hardest fight was Red since my team was underlevelled and I had to revive stall him out of Blizzards and Volt Tackle, eventually I won. Unfortunately, when my I changed computers I lost that save file.
    About 3 weeks ago I completed the third game in my Flygon Solo Run Challenge on Soul Silver and Red was the hardest trainer to fight mostly due to the combined 15 PP of Blizzard and Flygon's quad weakness to Ice type moves so I had to spam Hyper Potions (Flygon was level 88 at the time of the fight) to outlast his Pokemon and then I won. My next solo challenge will be with Venusaur in Heart Gold and again, I'm not looking forward to the Red fight.

Back