• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Sweet, my mission is to now CATCH EVERYTHING!!!!!

But do you need Dialga, Mew and stuff? If so I am never going to get one...

Mew, no. Dialga, yes.

Oh, and that reminds me. Has anyone heard Dialga's cry in X/Y? Does it sound the same as in the past, or did it get altered like 99% of all the other pre-Gen 6 Pokemon? I wanna know if sounds better or not...

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2014
    I've been worrying about EV training, esp. since I haven't been able to find an adequate guide here on pc or on bulbapedia (theirs is kind of truncated)........can you reset EVs with a reset bag? (I've never received a reset bag).......even at level 100? How can you be sure if the exact EVs are what you want, when there doesn't appear to be any number available the way there is on showdown?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I've been worrying about EV training, esp. since I haven't been able to find an adequate guide here on pc or on bulbapedia (theirs is kind of truncated)........can you reset EVs with a reset bag? (I've never received a reset bag).......even at level 100? How can you be sure if the exact EVs are what you want, when there doesn't appear to be any number available the way there is on showdown?

Yes, you can reset EVs with a Reset Bag at level 100. Reset Bags (pen and paper or a good memory work too) also check for EVs.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I've been worrying about EV training, esp. since I haven't been able to find an adequate guide here on pc or on bulbapedia (theirs is kind of truncated)........can you reset EVs with a reset bag? (I've never received a reset bag).......even at level 100? How can you be sure if the exact EVs are what you want, when there doesn't appear to be any number available the way there is on showdown?

There is a guide for horde EV training here on PC, if you're interested.

Yes, a reset bag will work on level 100 Pokemon. Level 100 Pokemon can be EV trained, because since Gen 5, a level up is no longer required for EVs to take effect. You have to keep track of the EVs yourself, although the Super Training screen helps a bit (and ST exercises tell you how many EVs you get each time you do one). And EVs cap at 252 this time around, instead of 255 (which is nice, since you never want more than 252 EVs in a stat anyway). If you need to know what Pokemon give which EVs, look here.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I didn't know this either. Thank you! I wonder if this works with hordes. Some of them are a pain...

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Is there any links confirming this? Because there's only, what, 3 abilities tops for pokemon, right? so there's always a 1 in 3 chance of getting a hidden ability in the Friend Safari right? I only say this because I battled 7 - 9 Audinos (lost count but it's between those two numbers) before I FINALLY found one with regenerator. And while I know that's a normal ability, that means 7 - 9 times I found Healer instead.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Is there any definitive data to go along with this? Anything else is just anecdotal evidence which counts for absolutely nothing.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    And EVs cap at 252 this time around, instead of 255

Really!? Nice! Gen VI change?

So Super Training...I've read about how it works, but one thing has me worried. I have a Golbat in my party right now so I can raise its happiness and evolve it into Crobat. I've never placed it in the ST, but when I checked the ST yesterday he was in there hitting the bag. How does this happen?

I plan to EV train an Abra soon (after the breeding) but now I'm worried that it will be randomly placed in ST also and mess up the EVs. What does hitting this bag do? AFAIK, it's just the basic black bag and I don't have any other special ones. I've only played ST once and I think I got a bag from it but I used it already.

It's not the most obvious interface so I don't really know what's happening. If someone could clarify, I'd appreciate it!

Also, do you gain EVs by actually playing the ST game, or just when you use the awarded bags?

Thanks.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    I did it by using Earthquake :) The only tricky part is finding a Pokemon that is powerful enough to knock out the Sevipers in one hit, but not the Zangoose. I found catching a wild Croagunk and teaching it Earthquake works (you might need to level it up a couple of times).

Yep, the 6th IV is always random. A lot of people count 5IV Pokemon as perfect though, because most of the time the Pokemon will either be using physical or special moves, not both, and so you don't need both perfect Attack and Special Attack.

I think I figured out another trick. A Pokemon with Heal Pulse can heal Zangoose until the Sevipers are gone!

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    So Super Training...I've read about how it works, but one thing has me worried. I have a Golbat in my party right now so I can raise its happiness and evolve it into Crobat. I've never placed it in the ST, but when I checked the ST yesterday he was in there hitting the bag. How does this happen?

I plan to EV train an Abra soon (after the breeding) but now I'm worried that it will be randomly placed in ST also and mess up the EVs. What does hitting this bag do? AFAIK, it's just the basic black bag and I don't have any other special ones. I've only played ST once and I think I got a bag from it but I used it already.

It's not the most obvious interface so I don't really know what's happening. If someone could clarify, I'd appreciate it!

Yeah, the Pokemon currently active in the Super Training will automatically hit the black bag every so often if you leave it. But you don't need to worry about this, because hitting the black bag does nothing except give a small chance of finding a special bag. It won't affect EVs. Also note that if your Pokemon has a smiley face next to it, the chance of finding a special bag while hitting the black bag will be greatly increased.

Also, do you gain EVs by actually playing the ST game, or just when you use the awarded bags?

Thanks.

You get EVs both by completing the training games and by using the bags awarded (or found by using the black bag). The amount you get depends on the level of the training game or the size of the bag.

I think I figured out another trick. A Pokemon with Heal Pulse can heal Zangoose until the Sevipers are gone!

Yeah, that sounds like it could work too, although it might take a while :P

Last edited:

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
  • Question: For the Masuda Method, do the parent Pokemon have to be from different countries or just different languages to improve your shiny chances?

For example, I have both X and Y and have been playing through my Y on my 2DS in French. I found a 4IV French Ditto in the friend safari and am wondering that if I trade it over to my (english) X game to breed with if it will increase my chances of hatching a shiny.

Years
  • Question: For the Masuda Method, do the parent Pokemon have to be from different countries or just different languages to improve your shiny chances?

For example, I have both X and Y and have been playing through my Y on my 2DS in French. I found a 4IV French Ditto in the friend safari and am wondering that if I trade it over to my (english) X game to breed with if it will increase my chances of hatching a shiny.

To make the Masuda Method work correctly, the Pokemon have to be generated on different region cartridges. Even though you can choose the in-game language, it's mainly the region of the actual cartridge itself that ties into this. Like say, you breed a Pokemon that was generated on a Japanese cartridge of the game with one from a US cartridge.

It's been like that in previous games as well, but given the language selection this time around it did leave some a bit confused. So yeah, it's still done the exact same way as previously. You just need Pokemon from cartridges of different regions.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    If you're using a "Power" item to gain an extra +4 EVs, does the Pokemon holding the item have to actually participate in the battle for it to work, or can they just be elsewhere in the party with Exp. Share turned on?

I ask because on the EV page at Serebii it says this: "The only downside to these items is the fact that they cut the holders Speed stat in half, however if you have Tepig at the starting position in your party and immediately switch her out for another Pokémon, Tepig will still gain the EVs from the item as well as from the defeated Pokémon."

Earlier in the article it was specifically mentioned that you can just use Exp. Share to train Tepig, so I didn't understand why the author suddenly mentioned having to switch it out in relation to the Power items.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    If you're using a "Power" item to gain an extra +4 EVs, does the Pokemon holding the item have to actually participate in the battle for it to work, or can they just be elsewhere in the party with Exp. Share turned on?

I ask because on the EV page at Serebii it says this: "The only downside to these items is the fact that they cut the holders Speed stat in half, however if you have Tepig at the starting position in your party and immediately switch her out for another Pokémon, Tepig will still gain the EVs from the item as well as from the defeated Pokémon."

Earlier in the article it was specifically mentioned that you can just use Exp. Share to train Tepig, so I didn't understand why the author suddenly mentioned having to switch it out in relation to the Power items.

That page might not've been updated for Gen 6. That Serebii article is probably for Gen 5 EV training, since the Exp Share was a hold item until Gen 6, meaning you couldn't use both a Power item an the Exp Share at the same time. If a Pokemon gains Exp, it'll also gain EVs. So, yes, EVs can be obtained via Exp Share in X/Y (and you can hold a Power item too).

Also, EVs cap at 252 no matter what method of EV training you do. When I've EV trained 2 stats to the max (via horde EV training), I always have an extra 6 leftover. 252+252+6=510, and 510 is the max for total EVs.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I don't think Luck Incense has anything to do with it. When I first got Mac's Normal Safari EVERY Pokemon I ran into had Hidden Abilities on them. Sometime you just get lucky.

And yes I'm 100% certain that they all had hidden abilities. I was using Trace Gardevoir to hunt for Anticipation Eevee. Every Eevee I ran into had Anticipation. All of his Aipom had Skill Link and all of his Minccino had Skill Link.

I battled over 50 Pokemon and caught like 13 Eevee trying to find good IV'd ones.

A lot of the time luck itself just plays an important role.

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2014
    So recently i've been looking in the r/shinypokemon/ subreddit and noticed that people are wondertrading and getting shiny legendaries such as groudon and kyogre etc.

Are these hacked mons or is the pokebank back?

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    So recently i've been looking in the r/shinypokemon/ subreddit and noticed that people are wondertrading and getting shiny legendaries such as groudon and kyogre etc.

Are these hacked mons or is the pokebank back?

Bank was released in Japan, but even so, you can't be certain of legitimacy.

Years
  • yah, i did get the shiny charm. :3
    professor sycamore gave it to me. <3

You didnt need Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo Meloetta and Genesect for the charm right? And gratz on the charm am woking on mines now after I got all the other legends completed on my dex.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back