• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You couldn't get away!

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
  • I didn't see this was a thing, but apologies if it is...

Does anyone else get annoyed by "You couldn't get away" when you are trying to run in a wild pokemon battle?

I mean, I think it's rather tedious when you're trying to find certain pokemon to level up with. It drives me nuts because my pokemon ends up getting hurt. :c Sometimes, like a Furfrou in XY, is hard to battle with just a level 10 pokemon.

So, what are your thoughts on this? I posted in gaming central because it seems fitting for all of the pokemon games.

Years
  • It is annoying, especially when training. In a Nuzlocke it can really spell the end of one of your Pokemon at times, and yes I have heard people losing a Pokemon just because they couldn't run from a wild battle.

Years
  • Oh does it ever, especially with Pokemon that have abilities like arena trap where you have to battle with your one Pokemon, it's pretty bad.
    I find I can usually get away after the opposing Pokemon injures mine once though.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    This tends to happen to me throughout beginning of the game, when my team members are at a lower level and don't have much energy left to battle. It's definitely bothersome; sometimes, the wild Pokémon could defeat you and send you back to your last visited town or city.

magicalgirlj

I liek Popplio
    Years
  • Ugh yes I hate this. In Pokemon X I was going through Glittering Cave grinding my Kirlia I ran into a wild Solrock it would not let me escape. So I tried to catch it surprisingly I caught it on my first try with a great ball. These things can be hard to catch or at least in Black and White. During the battle every time it used the move Fire Spin it hit every time

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I rarely run, but I swear the times I do want to run are when this gets me, lmao. Pretty annoying. Like idk what's preventing me from running from you, Wurmple.

Years
  • Maybe very mildly annoyed at most. Honestly, unless it ends up being a string of bad luck and I end up not being able to run away at all, then one or two messages about not being able to do so won't really bother me all that much.

KetsuekiR

Ridiculously unsure
    Years
  • It's super annoying when it happens but that's why I love Smoke Balls xD It's not common enough to really be a major hindrance since it only ever happens if you're using a super slow Pokemon and I tend to not do so but in the off chance it does happen, Smoke Balls to the rescue!

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • What I find also annoying is it happens when you don't want to battle. For example, if you are trying to find a certain pokemon. I've also had my pokemon faint because of it as well. It happened to me not to long ago in Pokemon Y. :c

Just one question... why did they even bother implementing this in games? It's seems so useless to others.

Years
  • It's very annoying when you're training a weak Pokemon (especially EV training) and you're trying to get away from one that gives out the wrong values. Even worse is when you are in a remote location and it gets knocked out; after that comes running back to the Pokemon Center, then forgetting to bring extra potions, repels etc. It's a no-win situation if you don't have a Smoke Ball and it uses Mean Look/ has Arena Trap.

To this day I still don't know what determines your chance to run away, though my gut feeling tells me that it's the Speed stat (which it probably is xD)

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Oh this annoys the heck out of me every time. It's especially frustrating when I'm trying to speed through the game, so I end up being too underleveled to outspeed the wild Pokemon in the area. Run Away is often a godsend for me, because I usually play through the games underleveled a bit, so I'm often easily out sped by wild Pokemon.

Years
  • To this day I still don't know what determines your chance to run away, though my gut feeling tells me that it's the Speed stat (which it probably is xD)

You are actually correct. It's the Speed stat that it's tied to, so if you're up against a fast wild Pokemon or the one you're using is really slow you could face issues with running and if you can't escape you will still get attacked.

Years
  • You are actually correct. It's the Speed stat that it's tied to, so if you're up against a fast wild Pokemon or the one you're using is really slow you could face issues with running and if you can't escape you will still get attacked.

This.

You can be a very low leveled Electrode and still manage to escape, because of its high base speed.

Actually when you think about it, Speed stat might be the most important stat in the game and having it in high levels can save your life numerous times.

Years
  • It's a really pissy thing, especially after a long string of battles/one hard battle that has your Pokemon practically crawling, and then you get caught "You couldn't get away!" And sometimes it's a little ridiculous, like a tiny little Pidgey. Makes me wish I could jump in the game and battle myself.

Rails

Story-Teller
    Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2015
    The feels are running strong, so yes I have had this problem before and when it does occur it can be such a nark.

Back