• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Resolution Challenge

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
  • fireworks-photography-new-years-2013-chicquero-28_zpsqcresiys.jpg

Resolution Challenge

It's bright. The taste of vomit still lingers in your mouth as you rise from the soiled carpet of shame, a bed shared by more than just you and your closest friends. You can't quite remember what happened the night before, but that doesn't really matter any more. Your head screams with hatred as you stare at the half risen sun, barely obscured by the side of your forearm. A new year waits ahead of you, with new opportunities and a fresh start.

A remnant of the former year continues to nag in the back of your brain. A goal set forth with only one rule: After the 1st. Some call it a nuisance. Others, a godsend. But to you it is just Resolution.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~​

Hello ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to what will be the very first New Year's themed challenge! I know, not the most exciting first it could be, but that doesn't make it any less fun, right? Now this is going to be a little different than most themed challenges, though. For one there's a unique time limit for this one: 30 Days from the moment you sign up (with sign ups not being allowed after January 30th). That's right, in keeping with the theme of resolution, you will need to keep the challenge up for an extended period of time. Of course a full 365 days would be a ridiculous amount of time to maintain. But a month? I'm sure most of you can handle that.

Now the question is, what the hell is that time limit for? Well that's more for you to decide! New Year Resolutions being a goal you set for yourself, this challenge needs that bit of self determination to make it really stand out. The goal doesn't have to be anything extremely daunting, like completing the National Pokedex (though I certainly wouldn't stop you from pursuing such a challenge), but rather is more like aiming to collect every water type Pokemon in the region of your choice. The resolution can be as creative as your imagination, just don't make it too simple, or else what's the point?

Now that's only half the challenge, as since this is still a holiday theme challenge your team has a few restrictions to guide you through the game. Below you will find a series of Archetypes for whom you must find a matching Pokemon to include in your party. For some of them it may be something with a wide range of choice, and for others it may be restricted to a handful of Pokemon that can be associated. The difficult part is in choosing an effective team which you like enough to carry you to the end. You don't have to make a perfect match to each restriction though, just be able to justify it yourself if questioned for your choices.

Rules:
    1. The challenge is to be played on any main series Pokemon Game.
    2. No hacking except to obtain Pokemon that would otherwise be impossible to catch. They should be functionally legal.
    3. The Challenge is complete when you defeat the Champion/Ghetsis AND complete your resolution.
    4. As stated previously, you must set a Resolution, a goal, which you must complete within your 30 day period, starting from the date you sign up on.

Archetypes:
    1. The Big Countdown – 10, 9, 8, etc, 1! Counting down the seconds to the new year is a tradition observed since we've invented clocks. This Pokemon should know a move that requires multiple turns to take effect, whether that be a charge up move or a countdown to death!
    2. New Choices – This one's easy, just pick a Pokemon you've NEVER used before. If somehow you've used EVERY Pokemon before then just pick one you don't use often.
    3. The Omen – We all know what's coming on the horizon: Pokemon Z is coming! And with it we are sure to receive several brand new Mega Evolutions! And so I want you to predict what Pokemon you expect to see powering up this fall (or whenever the heck it comes out).
    4. Fireworks – No better way to celebrate than with a BANG! This Pokemon should be flashy or explosive, take your pick.
    5. Wet Weather – It's cold and rainy out there; unless you're me in which case it's cold and snowy. Pick a Pokemon that can induce Rain or Hail weather conditions. Bonus points if it does both. If it happens to be summer where you are, then pick between Sand and Sun.
    6. Resolution – This Pokemon should have some relation to the resolution you picked. For example, a Water type Pokemon from the region of your choice.

Username:
    Selected Game:
    Starting Date:
    Resolution:

Challengers:
    11Wildy - Sapphire
    Obsideon - SoulSilver
    myrrhman - Blue
    MachoPony - Emerald
    Necrum - White

Last edited:

11wildy

Me!
    Years
  • Username: 11wildy
    Selected Game: Sapphire
    Starting Date: January 3
    Resolution: I don't do new years resolutions. In my opinion you should strive for the best for the whole year, not just at new year. (I'll just pick a water type from hoenn)

1. The Big Countdown – Aggron (Dig) or Cradily (Solarbeam)
    2. New Choices – Nosepass
    3. The Omen – Armaldo or Cradily (I just want all fossils to get a mega, just like Aerodactyl!)
    4. Fireworks – Golem (Explosion)
    5. Wet Weather – Lunatone (Rain Dance)
    6. Resolution – Relicanth

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • Resolution: I don't do new years resolutions. In my opinion you should strive for the best for the whole year, not just at new year. (I'll just pick a water type from hoenn)
    I added some rules to hopefully clarify a few things. I was still delirious from cold when I Posted this. The resolution is a goal you set for Pokemon, not a real life improvement goal. You must set a goal for yourself in this challenge. The Water Type was an example based on my example resolution in the description text.

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    Username: Obsideon
    Game: Soulsilver (finally got a ds emulator!)
    Game type: single
    Resolution: Capture all the normal types from Johto!
    Team:
    1: Nidoking with dig
    2: Fearow
    3: Typhlosion
    4: Ampharos (Called light Pokemon in dex so flashy!!!)
    5: Slowbro with rain dance
    6: FURRET CAUSE CUTE!!!!!!

P.S. Necrum you forgot to put your sign up sheet in the first post. *points at rule stating this must be done in the rules section*

Resolution Challenge!

Spoiler:

Current team!
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Ohhhhhhhh Necrum. Obsideon is right, someone forgot to sign up :0

I'm going to do this on Blue. Since there's no rain dance or Hail, I'll just use a Pokemon that can learn one of them in future games and just leave a moveslot open. Also I set my starting date for 1/12 because in a couple hours I'm going out of town for my birthday and won't have time to do the challenge til i get back.

Username: Myrrhman
    Selected Game: I guess you can ultimate this? I'll do Blue for now.
    Starting Date: 1/12/2016
    Resolution: To finish as many challenges as I can this year.

Team
    1. Countdown: Blastoise w/ Skull Bash (Unless Dig counts, in which case I'll definitely be using that instead)
    2. New Choices: I've defnititely used all the original Pokemon. Usually don't use a Vaporeon though, let's do that.
    3. Omen: I can see Mega Kingler being the next thing.
    4. Fireworks: Golduck that knows Flash! Doesn't get any flashier than that!
    5. Weather: Lapras can learn both! I'm going to teach it surf and Ice beam and not use the other 2 slots (reserved for Hail/Rain Dance if it the moves existed.)
    6. I've set my team up for this on purpose. My first ever challenge here was a Monotype on Blue version. and as for my Resolution Pokemon, well, the Pokemon that I use in any challenge I can... My Starmie.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    Resolution Challenge!

Soulsilver 7/16

Spoiler:

Current team!
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

MachoPony

Resident Brony
    Years
  • why did i not know about this!?

Username: MachoPony
    Selected Game: Emerald
    Starting Date: 10/1/16
    Resolution: take my exact endgame team (with possible change to movesets and levels possible breeding) to the battle frontier and beat all gold symbol challenges.

1. Countdown: Sceptile with Solarbeam
    2. New Choices: Illumise
    3. Omen: Mega Slaking should totally be a thing,
    4. Fireworks: Weezing can learn fire type moves and is known for exploding
    5. Weather: let's go for Walrein since it learns both
    6. as my resolution is fairly difficult i'm going to need something with a good bit of power to help with the Battle Frontier. as such i have decided to go for hoenn's Pseudo-Legendary salamence.

EDIT: Update 1
    Spoiler:

Current Team:
    Spoiler:

EDIT 2: Flannery down

Spoiler:

Current Team:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • I didn't want to put my sign up into the bunch until I was ready to start, lol. I don't think Events need to be as strict about the rules. I'll be dropping my signup in later today after I make the rounds on PC. Been hanging with my mom while she was in town (plus you know, college started up again -_-).

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    No problem by the way this challenge is extremely fun I am halfway done with Johto at the moment! 8 BADGES YES!!!

P.S. I am going to add my update to this comment later today I have stuff I need to do first!

Update:
    -I destroyed the dragon type gym leader first try!
    -MVP credit goes to Nidosaur! It learned Avalanche and destroyed despite the several aqua tails and surfs it was hit with.
    -Went to the whirl islands and I am now working on catching lugia! (Was gonna go for shiny but it is gonna take to long.)

Will post team later.

Edit: NOOOOOOOOOOOO MY SAVE DATA GOT DELETED :'(
    Edit 2: Scratch that the save file was in the wrong folder lol.

Last edited:

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Guess I could go with an update then.

I have my whole team! Gods, events are so hard for me because I'm not used to using more than 3 Pokemon. No fly makes this game really tedious. I just went back and got Flash from Oak's Aide. I skipped Lt. Surge's gym, justifying it by telling myself I didn't need fly. And then after Erika and Koga I started surfing down to Seafoam and realized I wanted Thunderbolt. D'oh. So, after backtracking and destroying Surge, I quickly acquired needed TMs for my final movesets (which is when I backtracked for Flash). Now to go all the way back to Saffron and Cinnabar, then to the last gym!

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • Username: Necrum
    Selected Game: White Version
    Starting Date: 1/17/2016
    Resolution: Breed one Pokemon every day of the day of the Challenge

Okay here is my sign up! I finally have a respite I can use to get this challenge going yay!

MachoPony

Resident Brony
    Years
  • Update 3: Winona Down

Spoiler:

Current Team:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    I am now in the middle of destroying the E-4 I just need to beat the dark type E-4 but she is a pain. And her Houndoom can apparently ohko a ground type with a flamethrower. And Slowmo is to slow (no pun intended) to hit it with surf.

Years
  • Am I too late for this challenge? :D Nevermind

Username: Janp
    Selected Game: Black
    Starting Date: 22.1.
    Resolution: Something I've never done before in Gen V... I'll clear post-game stuff

Team:
    The Big Countdown - Stoutland (Giga-Impact)
    New Choices - Crustle
    The Omen - Excadrill (I can imagine it with more steel spike-like things all over its body)
    Fireworks - Galvantula (It's Electric-type and Joltik can be found in pretty flashy cave)
    Wet Weather - Vanilluxe (Right now, it's about - 18 °C out here)
    Resolution - Alomomola (post-game has a lot of water area + Undella Town)

Let's go

MachoPony

Resident Brony
    Years
  • League Beaten
    Spoiler:

Now i just gotta grab a ditto and start breeding for moves and EVs. i'll need it for the battle frontier
    Final Team:
    Spoiler:

MachoPony

Resident Brony
    Years
  • just a quick update from me. i've beaten Noland, Anabel and Lucy (forgot to save anabel's battle for recording and you cant save battle pike battles but i do have noland's recorded) and i've currently beaten 2 tournaments in the Battle Dome.

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    CRAP I forgot about this and now I only have 2 days to complete it. And I am only at the E-4 from beating Johto. I also need to catch a ton of normal types. And I kind of need to evolve them too right?

MachoPony

Resident Brony
    Years
  • crap i only have 3 days and i've only taken down 3 BF members. better get crackin

EDIT: beat Tucker, Spenser and Greta brandon is the last one

Last edited:

MachoPony

Resident Brony
    Years
  • Finally Done

Spoiler:

Final Team(s)
    Spoiler:

Thoughts on Individual Pokemon:
    Spoiler:

Thank you and goodnight

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    I missed the deadline. Sorry about that. Was a fun challenge definitely going to do it next year even if it doesn't get opened again!

Back