• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How Much do you Know about CSS?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • Well, we have a CSS help thread, but on this thread on wondering, for those of you who have ever worked with CSS, how long have you've been practicing it? Do you aim to get more savvy with this aspect?

For those of you how don't know much about CSS to begin with, are you interested in learning more about it? What do you all use CSS for in most occasions?

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2018
    My knowledge of CSS can be summarised as: I know enough.
    I certainly won't be creating amazing, smoothly-animated corporate websites any time soon. At the very least, my knowledge suits my needs perfectly well - regardless of how much professionals may scream at some of my improvised methods.
    Animations don't even matter all that much to me, either. If I were that desperate I could simply use (don't kill me) a generator or (still don't kill me) JQuery, as I have done in the past.

Generally I only use CSS for sites like tumblr, or for when I've got something I need to make pretty for my own sake and a Word document just won't cut it. Otherwise, I've little reason to actually use HTML/CSS at all these days.

Nothing. Absolutely Nothing. It's far too complicated for me to figure out, and I'd much rather not even try. ><
    It's not all that complicated, you know. CSS is the easy part - it's the HTML and Javascript around it that'll present a challenge (and remembering to use the '.' and '#' prefixes before starting a CSS segment).

Last edited by a moderator:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Web development was a hobby for me during high school and I took a class through school for that. Got my toes wet with CSS then.

Dabbled a bit after that, but never really had an opportunity to do anything with it.

First real job in my field of choice though was making web sites for small businesses, so I've gotten aquatinted with CSS and such since then. Picked a lot up on the job.

My current job is more backend then frontend, but I'm still mostly full stack and don't have problem interacting with CSS when I need to. I can do responsive too

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • See signature.

Joking aside, I would consider myself proficient in CSS. I like working with CSS and HTML, I wish it was a bigger part of my job, but it's probably for the best. I'm much better at getting the server up and going than getting the website itself up and going.

Years
  • I really don't know where to classify my CSS experience. I would say somewhere between beginner and intermediate. I find myself always having to look at how to do certain things such as shapes and position, though I can get the feeling on how to adjust values to my own need.

Most of the time, I use CSS in important threads and signatures. Most threads here in C&T that are sticky threads use CSS.

pkmin3033

I actually have a reasonable knowledge of CSS now...too many years spent tweaking colours on premade layouts has given me a pretty good grasp of how things fit together, as I've learned painfully through trial and error...I've never really been very good with tutorials. I can code passable layouts now; nothing as pretty as people who know exactly what they're doing, but not horrible messes. xD

Hannah

beep bop boop
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Nov 16, 2021
    I'm pretty okay with CSS, I think, or at least I've improved a lot since I first started. I learned CSS through PC, actually, when I was around nine or ten (ahh I can't remember how old I was when I first joined). Through the years I got used to it, but there are still times when I get sort of lost. I'm much better with HTML though, since we actually learned about it and school and I fiddle around with Tumblr themes a lot.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
    Years
  • I do webdev, so I've been using it for enough years to be considered professional.

That includes all those crazy and advanced selectors that nobody's ever heard about.

Though nowadays I use transpiled Stylus instead of CSS. Saves a ton of keystrokes. Especially for macroing vendor prefixes, which are pretty much the only thing that makes CSS a hassle to deal with.

Spoiler:

Years
  • I've been casually using CSS for about six years now but I'm still not really up to date with CSS3. I can do stuff like vertical alignment and semi-complex design though so for what I'm using it for I'm good enough. I probably started doing it back when I played neopets to make my pet / user lookups look the snazziest.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • I started touching CSS around 12 while learning about HTML on neopets to make layouts and such.
    I never really focused on learning it till around 2008-2009ish when I started using forum CSS here and at the same was making websites in my digital tech class.
    Continued to do the class throughout college and then had compulsory classes for both my design and information systems class in university.

I've used it for a long time, but I'm still nearly not confident to use it professionally. I'm planning to study into it more through an intern program thing since I want to add web design and such to the rest of my skills.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I think I'm probably getting quite rusty seeing as the last time I've worked a lot with my CSS was probably several months ago.

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
    Years
  • I know enough to customize my tumblr (well that's html too) the way I want to as well as on sim games that allow you to use layouts. I learned through playing around with themes and codes but that's just basic stuff.

CSS is interesting to me though; almost went into a computer science major lol. But it's not interesting enough where I want to learn everything.

Years
  • I started working with CSS here when i wanted some pretty signatures. In all honesty I didn't have a clue what CSS even was, I thought it was a tool used for forums and such to help make their site look attractive.
    Since then I've started a degree that is mainly based around computing and I've done far to many modules centred around web design. Thanks to these I'd say I'm fairly competent in CSS and I'm fairly certain I know what its main use is for.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • I dont even know what CSS stands for
    And in my life im the computer wiz lol

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • My level of CSS is at the point where I can pretty much design a website, although I'm more familiar with HTML. The CSS here is pretty simple and easy to grasp, so I didn't have any trouble making my first CSS siggy or posts back then. I've taken a ton of CSS & HTML coding classes as well as taken online tutorials where I've gained some experience to manually write code of my own. However, don't call me a professional...yet. I feel there's some things I need to retouch on before doing so.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I knew absolutely nothing about CSS until I joined PC. Now I'd still say that I am a beginner, but I can use it in my signatures now thanks to the help threads, plugins that Firefox has, and the nice members on here who have taught me a thing or two. I plan to work on and learn a lot more CSS3 in the future, but I'm focusing on C++ right now.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I would say I know enough to get around tight spots, so to speak.

I've been into web-design scene since I was thirteen or so (if I were to make an estimate, it has been around eight years), and CSS is a major component of this alongside various other aspects, such as JS, JQuery, and so forth. It's fun, really; sitting there, putting things together, making them work, and so forth. Might be slightly frustrating when they do not function correctly and whatnot, but I still try finding ways to get around.

Although I do know a few tricks, there are still a lot of things I have no idea about when it comes to CSS (media-queries, for example, which allow us to write codes specified by screen-sizes; I had no idea of their existence until two years ago), but I'm always looking forward to learning and improving myself; I never run out of room for it.

Years
  • Not too much at all. I did take a bit of C++ programming in community college in earlier years, but i'm pretty foggy on it since then. If you asked me what to do with that, I don't think i'd be able to do much on it.

Back