• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cloud storage!

Years
  • With technology getting better and better, we now have the ability to send files into the "cloud," or storage accessible by the internet. There are many cloud storage options to choose from, such as Google Drive, Microsoft's OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.

Do you use cloud storage in any way? What are your purposes of using cloud storage? Which cloud storage service(s) do you use?

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2022
    I use cloud storage a lot for schoolwork and keeping my Xbox saves synced between Xbox's. I think it's amazing technology, although the Pokémon universe had it a long time ago.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • I use cloud storage a lot. It's my primary form of backup. I use the three major providoers. I have additional storage in each one as well.

I use Dropbox to sync photo taken from my phone. I got an additional 50GB for linking dropbox on my phone so I opted to use my camera uploads from there.

I use Google Drive for document storage. I like being able to edit the document in any web browser or on my phone.

I have OneDrive, and it used to be my primary storage platform. I have Office 365 for home, so I have 1TB of storage there currently (it hasn't been upgraded to Unlimited yet) I moved away from OneDrive when I purchased my Galaxy Note 3. I like the way Google Drive UI works on Android more than I like OneDrive. OneDrive is a very good product. I may go back to them, but for right now I am currently using Google Drive.

And finally I use ownCloud as well. I use Digital Ocean to host a VM where I run a couple of personal websites as well as my own instance of ownCloud where I store a few things. The only reason I use ownCloud is becuase Google Drive does not have a Linux sync client. I've been contemplating moving everything into Dropbox now that you can edit documents inside of Dropbox from OneDrive. That or I will move fully back to OneDrive. Not really sure yet. I might also migrate my desktop computer back to Windows too. I'm not sure, and I'm too indecisive and there are too many good choices! X_X

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I use OneDrive for easy syncing between my windows 8 devices, as I have Office 365 which comes with 1TB (apparently a rumour is going around it's changing to unlimited) storage for a year, which is pretty crazy. Also, OneDrive is already a part of windows 8, so no extra applications to install. Only real complaint is that Microsoft's OneDrive app on Android is crud.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Last year, I found myself utilizing Cloud Storage a lot to manage my documents and whatnot.

For most part, it was Google Drive. It had various useful tools implemented, such as their document writer. Whenever we write, they're saved automatically into their site, I believe, which we could access from anywhere on almost any device we could thing of; if you ask me, this makes things very, very hassle-free. This year, however, I've had to rely one of the old-fashioned ways of document transferring more, due to slowness of our Internet connection at home.

I've always wanted to give Dropbox a shot, but sadly, I've never managed to get around. I've heard some amazing things about it, though, such as how the software makes it possible to have "shared" folders between devices, allowing us to share content instantly by dragging and dropping items (and other things of the like).

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I use cloud storage to make sure that I can always access a bunch of files at anytime, anywhere. That, and automatic photo backups. Not much else, though, especially when you consider that I have plenty of space in my OneDrive.

Years
  • I've begun to transition over to using OneDrive. What sucks though is that I'm probably going to go back down from 1 TB of space to 15 GB of space when my six-month Office 365 subscription is up in six days. >:(

Anyways, before I began to actively use OneDrive, I used Dropbox. However, Dropbox no longer allows for files to be seen at their full resolution in the web browser when sharing, and that's one thing that kinda makes me upset with them. OneDrive does allow for full resolution on images, and plus, Microsoft allows for automatically-generated short URLs, which is a plus when linking in chatrooms :P

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
    Years
  • Does leaving my files on my server at home count as cloud storage?

I can just as easily access and modify my files while not having to worry about uploading them that way.

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2018
    I do use cloud storage, albeit rarely. Only the really important stuff (and OS installation media images) tends to go into my SkyDrive. I use SkyDrive simply becuase it's there - it integrates well with the system and requires nothing more; for any other devices the web interface is always available.
    Honestly, I mostly just slap files onto my external hard disk since it rarely leaves my person. The cloud storage is basically only to recover important things in the event of a fire, natural calamity or my hard disk being eaten by some crazy who breaks into my house.

Years
  • I've been using cloud storage for a year or two now. It started off because for university group projects we would use Google docs and have a shared document everyone could contribute. I then started using it to send work to my tutors to look over.
    My previous module had me working in a version of flash that would crash and corrupt my work every other hour so I started using Google drives version feature and just chucked all my work on there in the process and now I keep everything on there.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Cloud storage is amazing. I used both Google Drive and OneDrive at one point, then I installed the OneDrive app on my iPhone and that boosted my storage to 25 GB. Then I got 1 TB storage from my future uni, so I decided to ditch Google Drive and stick with OneDrive. However, the only thing I liked about Google Drive was that you can edit documents with another person at the same time.

I really want to give Dropbox a shot though.

Back