• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon X Team Help?

VeranithasVI

I eat shades of #radred.
Years
  • So far my journey through Kalos has been wonderful, and I've caught a lot of cool Pokemon along the way. The team that I'm currently deciding too rock around with, whilst all being aesthetically pleasing and the like, definitely needs a bit of altering. So without further ado, here is my current Pokemon X team:

Braixen
    w/ Amulet Coin
    Level 30
    Nature - Hardy
    Blaze
    Moveset - Psybeam, Flame Charge, Fire Spin, Howl

Jolteon
    w/ Rocky Helmet
    Level 23
    Nature - Bold
    Volt Absorb
    Moveset - Baby-Doll Eyes, Thunder Fang, Thunder Wave, Bite

Honedge
    Level 24
    Nature - Adamant
    No Edge
    Moveset - Aerial Ace, Shadow Claw, Shadow Sneak, Metal Sound

Wartortle
    w/ Blastoisinite
    Level 29
    Nature - Timid
    Torrent
    Moveset - Water Pulse, Bubble, Withdraw, Bite

Drifloon
    Level 25
    Nature - Bashful
    Unburden
    Moveset - Ominous Wind, Astonish, Gust, Focus Energy

Tyrunt
    Level 25
    Nature - Timid
    Strong Jaw
    Moveset - Strength, Stealth Rock, Bite, Charm

I'm looking too add a Grass-type Pokemon into my team, which was originally going to be Leafeon, however I decided to evolve my Eevee with a Thunder Stone and grab a Jolteon for the Speed and Sp. Att attributes. Did I make a mistake?

I also want my get my Honedge evolved into an Aegislash, but that being said I want to evolve Drifloon into Drifblim, and I don't think having two Ghost-type Pokemon on my team would be effective, regardless of their second-type.

I have NO IDEA what I want to do with Tyrunt, though Tyrantrum is cool, I think I should've gone with Amaura in hindsight.

Right now the only three Pokemon that I am set with are Braixen (who I will max evolve, obviously), Wartortle (again, max evolve) and Jolteon, because they are my staple Fire, Water and Lightning types. If anybody could help me out with my remaining three (maybe only two, if you guys think I should keep Aegislash or Drifblim) Pokemon that would be great. Thank you! :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2014
    Aegislash is a beast, if you start checking out what tiers pokemon fall into, you'll see he's one of few non legendary to be labeled as "uber". Ghost/Steel is just so strong defensively it's crazy.

If you're looking for a strong grass, I've recently fallen in love with Gogoat (skiddo's evolution). He's got a great HP rating, and when you get to courimane city (I think) you'll be able to get the TM for Rock Slide, which is super effective against every one of Gogoat's weaknesses, except poison. (If you want, I can trade you a safari gogoat that knows Rock Slide, just pm me later).

Also, hopefully this isn't too much of a spoiler, but in your journey you'll encounter Xerneas (the legendary pictured on the case of X). And Xerneas is awesome, pure fairy type, has an wonderfully broad learnset of moves. I'd leave room for him in your party as well.

As far as the Joltean Delphox Blastiose combo, that's solid. Those 3 alone should be able to carry you through game.

The one major gap I see in your team is nobody capable of HM Fly, you'll want that later on, so something to think about.

Anyways, hope this helps!

VeranithasVI

I eat shades of #radred.
    Years
  • Thank you for your input!

I'm really glad that Aegislash is a beast, because he is easily one of my favourite Pokemon right now. And I'm also glad to hear that my Jolteon/Delphox/Blastoise combo is going to be dominant, too!

As for the grass Pokemon, I think you may be right, my friend has a Gogoat and he loves it, say's it's pretty boss. I just might have to level up my Skiddo :P Gogoat could most definitely fill my 5th slot.

As for the 6th slot, Xerneas is a main contender. Like you said, I'm lacking a Pokemon that can learn Fly, so I might have to use a rotating 6th Pokemon. Any recommendations for a Pokemon that can learn Fly?

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2014
    In my playthrough I used Noibat (and later Noivern) until I cam accross Yveltal. Obviously you don't have the latter as an option, but as your team has no dragon in it, I think I would consider Noibat. Woobat could also be a fun choice to fill the roll of your flier.

If you just want to rotate in a flyer for your 6th whenever you need to travel, I'd recommend Talonflame (evolves from fletchling)--Mainly because later, if you decide to get into breeding, talonflame is a must have. It flys so you can easily jump between camphrier and killoude (breeding and IV checking respectively), and it has the ability "Flame Body" which has the out-of-battle effect of hatching eggs in your party quicker.

Another thing to think about, is as you journey through Kalos, there will be Sky Trainers that will only issue flying duels, so you'll miss out on a little if you are you completely void of flyers, (there are many pokemon that can't learn fly that can still participate in these duels, I.E. Emolga or Cryogonal, even Drifloon!) I always had two flyers with me, Noibat and Aerodactyl, and I would often lose one in the fights, it was nice having a back up

Last edited:

VeranithasVI

I eat shades of #radred.
    Years
  • Since my first post, my team has evolved QUITE a bit. I've pretty much got two solid first team Pokemon that I'm sticking with (Doublade and Jolteon), the other four positions are up for grabs. But anyway, here's my newest team, I'm looking for very harsh critiquing because I truly want to get into battling after the game, and I feel the only way I can do that is if I start learning now.

jolteon.gif

Level 42 Jolteon
    w/ Rocky Helmet
    Nature - Bold
    Ability - Volt Absord
    Moveset - Baby-Doll Eyes, Discharge, Thunder Wave, Bite

doublade.gif

Level 37 Doublade
    Nature - Adamant
    Ability - No Edge
    Moveset - Aerial Ace, Shadow Claw, Night Slash, Metal Sound

blastoise.gif

Level 42 Blastoise
    w/ Blastoisinite
    Nature - Timid
    Ability - Torrent
    Moveset - Water Pulse, Aqua Tail, Skull Bash, Surf

delphox.gif

Level 42 Delphox
    w/ Amulet Coin
    Nature - Hardy
    Ability - Blaze
    Moveset - Mystical Fire, Flame Charge, Flamethrower, Psyshock

drifblim.gif

Level 36 Drifblim
    Nature - Bashful
    Ability - Unburden
    Moveset - Ominous Wind, Hex, Fly, Cut​

I know, I need to give my Pokemon an item for stat boosts, move boosts, etc, but right now the Amulet Coin on my Delphox is doubling the prize money for fights he is featured in, and Rocky Helmet delivers damage to any opponent that can even touch my Jolteon, what with his speed and Thunder Wave combo. I really want to keep Jolteon and Doublade, and maybe even Drifblim if I can (I need recommendations on the right moveset for all three however), but I'm considering swapping out my Delphox and Blastoise the further into the game I get. I'm just about to fight the Lumiose City gym leader now.

Please and thank you!

MasterMedicham

A Medicham full of wisdom
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2016
    Your team is nice but you should teach every pokemon other moves than its typing. For an example you can teach Delphox Grass knot. It's super effective on water, ground and rock types, its weaknesses.
    If you want a stronger flying type I can recommend Aerodactyl. Its a REAL beast. If you mega evolve it, it will become even stronger and with its ability and speed it will win over everybody!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    One advantage you have of teaching your Pokémon moves of its typing is that you get same-type-attack-bonus, which is great, as it increases your power of your hits. Though, not majorly. I do agree with above; you should definitely consider replacing some of their moves, and keep only about one or two same-type attacks in their sets. This way, you would have much of a better coverage.

For Blastoise, my recommendation would be Dragon Tail, Scald, Ice Beam, and perhaps Toxic. I use this set myself, personally, and works pretty nice!

Back