• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Reduce the amount of posts needed to make an AMA in the Member Encyclopedia

Years
  • I don't think 25 posts is much effort, just try and find threads to ask questions in, but I can understand if you are not sure on what to ask to the member in question. Maybe I'll see what some others think before I go further.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • You see all lot of different types of posts there. Some people tend to ask at least six questions in one post, some only one and even make another post with a response saying they agree with the given answer.
    Bending your posting style into the second category it's nearly no effort at all, but when you're more serious and only asking to people you know at least a bit, it can take a while, but then you choose to do so yourself and must be patient. If you choose for the latter, that's your own decision.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I do think 15 posts would be better. 25 does seem a bit much, so I agree with Archy. Even I had a hard time myself when I wanted to make a new thread. I'm not very good at asking questions, only answering them. :/ Plus, if it was dropped to fifteen, it seems the thread might be twice as active as it is now. I've always had a hard time getting people to ask me things in my thread as well, and this is often a problem right there.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I must ask...what's the difference in 10 more posts? I want to explain my full reasoning for disagreeing with this:

It's hard to think of questions sometimes. Oftentimes it's because it's the thread of someone you know really well, or more often than not you're just stumped on what kind(s) of questions you want to ask said person. Honestly, in just about most of the threads (I'd argue the majority of them but tbh I don't read any besides like Razor's/Chase's/Sophie's/Alex's threads and one or two more, I believe), you can ask the participant nearly anything, and I don't believe it has to be strictly just questions either.

The point of the Member Encyclopedia is to interact and get to know that particular user! Have a conversation with them, goof off a little, things like that. It's not as hard as people think it is, it doesn't have to be some super complex questions that you have to ask them, since a lot of people seem to be quite content (myself included) with just the little/silly things being asked.

Well, I'm mainly only speaking for myself though. I'm not really sure what other's have for their reasons to be honest. :/ For me, I'm an extremely shy person. My social skills are really bad, and it's very hard to come up with any question without making myself look foolish. Plus, I also have a hard time because of my interest barrier. I don't have a wide range of interests like most normal people have, and this can also make it hard to really talk or get to know someone. Basically, it all ties in with my lack of social skills... but again, that's just me. I've already got my thread made, yet it hasn't been posted in. I already bumped it once. I'm even worse at trying to introduce myself. My brain doesn't work the same way other people's brains work. So, when I try to think of questions, it draws nothing but blanks.

Years
  • I have to agree with Archer. The AMA section in general isn't very active, so making 25 posts could be a bit difficult. There are also some users who don't know many members well, so they might find it hard to start asking users they don't know questions. And, some members may ask a lot of questions to a member in their first post, and then not be able to come up with questions for future posts.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • The biggest problem with posting in threads is that there are a ton of threads with many questions already asked, so there would be a lot of repeat questions. If there's a lack of new threads as well, it makes it harder to find new people to ask questions.

Years
  • After seeing these responses, I'm all for the postcount requirement being cut down to 15. It'll help activity as mentioned, and of course some also struggle with asking questions to certain members so lowering the requirement will mean they can still ask members they are familiar with while still getting a decent number of posts in the section without having to resort to unfamiliarity.

The fact that threads that have a lot of posts in them means most questions have been done (there have been two occasions in my thread alone where someone asked a question that had already been asked before) and if there's a lack of new threads, as Wicked said, it'll be hard to find new people to get to know.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • Yes, there may be a lack of new threads, but I see the possibility that lowering the limit only temporary increases the activity. People get motivated now, make their own AMA and when everyone who thinks they need one did, activity will lower again. So I don't know if lowering the limit will be a solution at all.

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2016
    Ask me anything you'd like though visitor messages.

Yes, there may be a lack of new threads, but I see the possibility that lowering the limit only temporary increases the activity. People get motivated now, make their own AMA and when everyone who thinks they need one did, activity will lower again. So I don't know if lowering the limit will be a solution at all.
    I guess they just want to feel like a special snowflake.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • I actually agree on this. Sure, 25 posts are there to increase activity, but it's really hard to come up with a question to ask sometimes. You don't know, I wanted to make a thread since forever, and I've been struggling on finding a question that I really want to know about a user. Sometimes I open a thread, read the Q&A, clicked on the reply box... and then question to myself what do I want to know about them?

Some people asks all sorts of nonsensical questions and then stopped after they achieve their goal of 25 posts, and then proceed to not ask anything anymore though, so I'm not sure if it's the best solution. Meanwhile, I can't get an AMA thread going because of the 5 posts I'm lacking simply because I wanted quality questions and not quantity just to get my own thread.

Sure, 25 posts sounds easy (no really it does) but like others said, it's hard to think up a question to ask. Most of the time, it's already been answered somewhere along the previous pages.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I doubt that lowering the post count needed to make a thread will really do much to boost activity and stuff in the ME (it's more active than it was a few months ago btw), but I don't think that there's any harm in lowering it to 15 either. Not like I get to decide if it does get lowered or not, but....

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • honestly I kind of agree, but only because you should be asking people questions because you're genuinely curious, not because you're trying to reach that requirement to be able to post a thread of your own. if I had it my way I'd have the 25 count gotten rid of entirely, but that's just me & my laziness speaking, maybe (and I often forget to check the board at all -- I rarely post there nowadays because of it!! I'm awful and I should start).

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    The thing is: people generally like talking about themselves, so it's a lot easier to just have a thread for AMA. But the problem with a section like M.E is how infrequently people actually ask questions to those with threads in there. Expecting questions without asking any is usually the norm.

25 posts is a tad high I agree, but the exchange has to be made. Ya make tons of posts asking members questions about themselves and then you earn the right to be asked a lot of fun questions yourself.

Years
  • I think that 25 may be a bit much too, given that Member Encyclopedia isn't the most active forum. Some people may not be able to think of that many questions to ask very easily, for that matter.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • This is being discussed.

As a personal aside, I don't feel it's that hard to inquire about your fellow members. Even if your original intention is just to get to 25 posts, you could find a common interest or even a new friend as a result of it.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Honestly I'm against lowering the limit. I think 25 actually mandates you put SOME effort into your posting and it's not too hard. Nobody says you must ask more than one question, nor have the mods or staff gone to any lengths to stiffen the rules in order to increase quality.

However; if people insist the limit be lowered, I suggest in equal exchange that some quality guidelines be enforced on questions. Not saying that we should remove repeated questions or stupid questions or anything like that. Just that we should simply require a smaller number of quality posts which meet certain simple quality guidelines like having 3+ questions per post, and those questions being unique, well thought out, or thought provoking. If a mod can find enough of these guideline meeting posts; then you get a thread of your own.

Wicked3DS

Years
  • "Some effort" also requires not asking duplicate questions if you ask me. I think at a certain point you're gonna run out of questions and be digging through for quite a while trying to figure out what hasn't been asked. Just consider that please.

Wicked3DS

Years
  • Trying to figure out what questions to ask has always been, in my perspective, an unsolvable issue and lowering postcount requirements to make a new thread isn't going to make that process easier.

If, say, you make a new thread, who's to say that people are going to run out of questions as soon as your thread reaches like, page 2 or 3? Yeah, there are exceptions like Hikari's thread and Chase's, but to me, it just seems like people have a hard time trying to be creative with questions instead of being simpler with them, if that makes sense (aka: asking more about their interests, perhaps asking some deeper/thought-provoking questions, things like that).

I apologize if this response seems...quite sloppy, but it's the best way I can articulate my response at the moment haha.

But wouldn't reducing the post count so that people have to come up with less questions maybe give a little more incentive for people to try? I just think as it is it's a little bit daunting to look at.

Back