• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Crystal Sun

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
  • Well, I played through the entire demo. Overall it wasn't bad; a little better than I expected, in fact.

Thanks I was hoping the demo would show some promise

One major problem I encountered was the lack of direction; the introductory sequence at school, for example, doesn't actually mention what classroom you have to go in (just show the other classrooms as closed doors for example). Also, given that I played this demo at night, it was just a bit strange going to school at 11PM.
    Well i want some sort of differen't style play sort like a puzzle game. I dont want players to automatically figure out what to do but i also want it easy enough where they can figure it out if they try. And about the night time thing I was thinking the same thing when i playtested the game at night, I just havent tried to solve this problem as its not really a pressing issue

When I reached the second town, I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing, and it felt very strange going straight into the gym. You really should work on extending this section a bit, since it seemed kind of rushed (especially with the 'guard' that blocked your way until you got the badge - very uncreative lol).

I'll admit i sorta rushed that part with the guard. I just want people to spend more time in the towns and interact with the people more kinda like the anime.

Also, you need to keep in mind gameplay balance. I picked Chimchar and within a few minutes he was level 12 and one-shotting everything with Ember. The first gym in particular should be more challenging. I know I had the type advantage, but there was absolutely no challenge whatsoever.
    With turtwig and piplup the gym isn't so easy here is a screenie of the gym leaders annoying Beedrill
    Pokemon Crystal Sun

It took me 2 potions and about 15 minutes after my hoothoot failed to beat the damn thing...

And as people have mentioned before, your mix of battle graphics really needs some work. With the outdoor tiles it doesn't matter so much, but you really should choose your favorite generation of graphics and stick to it for the battles. Like I said, though, the demo actually shows some promise and was at least moderately enjoyable. Keep it up!
    Yeah well i am using characters from the old games(I.e. Oak & Teamrocket and wasn't too hapy with the HG/SS Rocket sprites). But your right i'll work on it...

PS: One thing I forgot to mention is grammar! Slow down and take your time when you write dialog; pretend as if you're writing a thesis. Having messy dialog really does detract from the overall experience.

Your 100% right I rushed with most of the dialog as you can see with the lack of creativity and grammar. I'll be correcting it ASAP!

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • I did mean the 3rd/4th gen sprite mix. And also the inside of the gym is 4th gen, but I guess that can't be helped.
    Nice new title screen!

KingCharizard

Years
  • UPDATE
    • Updated dex to include pokemon from 2 different regions, other pokemon are obtainable through trade.​
    • Story revised. Extra plot twists.​
    • Quest system - More details when video is released.​
    • Some new items and attacks.​
    The huge change is the Story. I have settled on the HG/SS heroes:

Pokemon Crystal Sun

Modifying their Ow's a bit.
    Also the story will be a bit different depending on the Hero you pick.​

Well thats all for now...​

Last edited:

KingCharizard

Years
  • Ok well I've been working on this by myself for quite some time and its making good progress but now I think its time to employ some help so here is what I need help with:

Spriters - Custom Sprites(This includes tilesets & ow's)
    Scripters - Will be helping me edit scripts.
    Idealist - Always good to have new ideas.

Well thats about it just pm me if you wanna help, thanks.

KingCharizard

Years
  • Well I had an scripting error and had to transfer my game to a new copy of the kit, most of my progress is still there some of it isn't so I have a few announcements.

• Most graphics are upgraded to DS style
    • The towns are renamed but mostly the same.
    • Story has been revised and rewritten but its still basically the same
    • The intro has undergone a huge change.
    Some more small changes have been made but not big enough to report.

Here is some screens of the new Intro:
    Spoiler:

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • The new intro looks a lot better. Now you'll have to change his over wolrd too if you aren't. You need a new background btw, I could make one if you want?

KingCharizard

Years
  • The new intro looks a lot better. Now you'll have to change his over wolrd too if you aren't. You need a new background btw, I could make one if you want?

Yeah I'll work on his overworld. Im just trying to get the trainer backs of the male & female HG/SS heroes. Go ahead make a background if you get time. But I dont mind it as black. New title screen is in the works.

Last edited:

Yuzuki

C++ Programmer
    Years
  • @KingCharizad

Very Good Mapping but the indoors Tiles don´t fits to the outdoor Tiles you maybe change that and you can redesign the battle frame.

regards
    -Yuzuki-

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • Yeah I'll work on his overworld. Im just trying to get the trainer backs of the male & female HG/SS heroes. Go ahead make a background if you get time. But I dont mind it as black. New title screen is in the works.
    Have a look at ther screens on serebii, I'm sure they have them.
    Here you go:
    Spoiler:

KingCharizard

Years
  • Have a look at ther screens on serebii, I'm sure they have them.
    Here you go:
    Spoiler:

I like the look of that, maybe i'll use it did you make the gradient?
    Some recent battle screens, its a WIP
    Spoiler:

Im using this game as a learning process for ruby, yeah Im actually learning it. And also im practicing my spriting skills. The hg/ss ow's will have an animation while walking im trying out(their hair moves).

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • Yes I made it, on Paint by hand.
    As I said on the screen rating thread, the back sprite doesn't mach, but the front does.

KingCharizard

Years
  • Yes I made it, on Paint by hand.
    As I said on the screen rating thread, the back sprite doesn't mach, but the front does.

yeah i know my biggest challange will be making the hero trainer backs. I actually found a HG/SS trainer back gonna resprite the current ones to match... I'll proabaly have that done within the next week or so. Thanks for the feedback helps me improve this game. But Its halfway completed and its not gonna be very long. Maybe 10 hours of playtime. I have another game planned after this but I feel its good to finish everything you start, plus This game needs improvement.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2010
    This looks like a very promising game! I like the outside tiles, but like a lot of people have suggested, you need 4th gen inside tiles.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • The new title screen is great, even if it is just from HG/SS. The new intro isn't that good, the reason being that to make the background would only take a second on gimp/other program. It just seems too "simple".
    The new screens are good, it looks a lot better now you're using the Gold over world. I think you should remove the old screens from the front and use the title screen as the logo.

KingCharizard

Years
  • The new title screen is great, even if it is just from HG/SS. The new intro isn't that good, the reason being that to make the background would only take a second on gimp/other program. It just seems too "simple".
    The new screens are good, it looks a lot better now you're using the Gold over world. I think you should remove the old screens from the front and use the title screen as the logo.

lol Well it did take a minute, but I dont expect or really want a fancy intobg, my intro does show the pb dropping and plays sounds...

Quick Update!

Pokemon Crystal Sun

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    Having an island filled with Honey Trees is a bit redundant.

Back