• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your favouite double battle strategy?

Years
  • My favourite double battle strategy would definitely be the invincible pokemon strategy. Have a pokemon with baton pass and ability swap and shedinja out. Have the pokemon with ability swap swap abilites with shedinja, then baton pass and either switch out Sableye or Spiritomb.

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2010
    I'm almost 100% certain that Baton Pass doesn't carry over the Pokemon's ability only the stat increases. Therefore, this is only plausible with a Sableye that knows Role Play and you use Role Play on your own Shedinja. However, there is still a flaw with this strategy. They are both really slow with low Sp. Defense and Defense. In the end, chances are one, if not both, would be KO'ed before you would even be able to set up your strategy. I do admit that it is a good idea, but there is still a pretty big flaw here.
    What has worked for me, and is the only doubles team I use is a Electric/Water team. First I send out Electrode and Manectric. Electrode explodes while Manectric protects. This takes out or does substantial damage to the opponents Pokemon. I then send out my Lanturn or Kingler. Lanturn is a Tank where Kingler is my Physical Sweeper. If Kingler is sent out I throw up another Protect while Manectric uses Swagger on my own Kingler. With a berry to cure myself of confusion Kingler now has it's attack raised by two stages. With a mixed move set and high Attack and Defense, Kingler is a useful Physical Sweeper that can is capable of taking hits. I haven't done any double battles in while and who knows how useful this strategy still is with the meta game always changing.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Um have any of you tested this at all?

Wonder Guard can't be Swapped or Roleplayed.
    And I'm pretty sure Protect protects from Swagger...it protects from Taunt, so that's just an expected extension.

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2010
    Protect doesn't Protect from Swagger. Therefore, my strategy is still effective and I have tested it out and have been successful. And you are correct on the fact that Wonder Guard cannot be Role Played. When I wrote my last post I was under the impression there were no exceptions to Role Play. Role Play cannot copy Wonder Guard nor Multiple. To correct what I wrote earlier you "invincible" strategy is not possible.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • Actually, if you had done your research, the only moves that work are moves that affect the user (Calm Mind, Safeguard etc.) and Feint. Moves that are aimed at the opponent are protected, hence the name and obvious ability of the move.

Anyway, my favourite doubles strategy is sending in a Flying Pokemon with Intimidate, namely Gyarados, and a (insert Earthquake user). You send in Gyarados, intimidating the opponents and using Earthquake to hit both of them as well.

Another one is using a Slowbro with Skill Swap and Own Tempo with a Regigigas and then using Swagger on the Regigigas, raising it's attack without the side effect of confusion.

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
    Years
  • My favorite strategy as of now involves A Follow Me Togekiss and a Nasty Plot Mismagius. On the first turn, they both protect to scout the opponent's moves a bit. Next, Mismagius would use Nasty Plot while Togekiss would use Follow Me. Thus, Mismagius would not be harmed while setting up (Unless they're using Discharge or something, but most people use Thunderbolt instead. Mismagius has Levitate, so no EQuakes). I then proceed to sweep or set up only if Togekiss is still alive. If I see a dark type or something that Mismagius can't beat with HP Fighting, I send in Scizor to Bug Bite it, or Bullet Punch it if it's Tyranitar. And then my last Pokemon is Metagross, who does some damage and then expodes with Scizor protects. However, the battle's usually over before Metagross gets sent in.

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
  • My favorite strategy? Togekiss and Bronzong combine as leads to effectively guarantee that I get Trick Room up with Bronzong. I then switch to something to wreck the common weather that you find in Doubles, like a combo of Tyranitar/Rhyperior that just smacks around stuff. Backup Trick Room Set up and a sweeper that doesn't mind TR but can also function well without it (like priority abusers) then round off the last two members (if it is 6-on-6 doubles, that is).

Corruptodile

Ma chérie, Je t'aime.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    Slaking attacks, SlowbroRole Plays Slaking. Slaking has better ability, Slowbro has bad. Switch out Slowbro, problem solved.

Or Belly Drum on one pokemon and Psych Up on the other to get 2 +6 attack Pokemon. Like Linoone and Gallade.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Slaking attacks, SlowbroRole Plays Slaking. Slaking has better ability, Slowbro has bad. Switch out Slowbro, problem solved.

Or Belly Drum on one pokemon and Psych Up on the other to get 2 +6 attack Pokemon. Like Linoone and Gallade.
    Role Play just copies the target's ability; it doesn't swap the user's ability with the target's (that's Skill Swap you're referring to).

Anyway, I like using Discharge, Surf, Earthquake and Lava Plume with Pokemon that have Volt Absorb/Motor Drive (or a Ground Pokemon), Water Absorb, Levitate (or Flying Pokemon) and Flash Fire as abilities.

SoulEclipse

youtube.com/SoulOracle
    Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2011
    There might be a way to swap wonder guard onto Sableye/Spiritomb. It will result in 3 turns... 4 pokemon
    ~will need
    1. Bulky Skill Swapper
    2. Rampardos
    3. Shedinja
    4. Sableye/Spiritomb
    Here are the turns
    (Send out Swapper and Rampardos)
    Turn 1: Swap abilities with Rampardos
    Turn 2: Switch out Rampardos and into shedinja, because of mold breaker, it should let you swap abilities with wonder guard.
    Turn 3: Switch out Shedinja and into Sableye/Spiritomb... and there you have it

In theory this should work, but the game creators have probably thought of this and made Wonder Guard unable to be swapped even with mold breaker.

the :D

<- heracross ftw!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2012
    I don't have a specific strategy, but when my brother's all like "DOUBLE BATTLE TIEM!" what I do is I pull out my gyarados and rhyperior and use earthquake and such. he gets pretty upset :D

Corruptodile

Ma chérie, Je t'aime.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    Role Play just copies the target's ability; it doesn't swap the user's ability with the target's (that's Skill Swap you're referring to).

Anyway, I like using Discharge, Surf, Earthquake and Lava Plume with Pokemon that have Volt Absorb/Motor Drive (or a Ground Pokemon), Water Absorb, Levitate (or Flying Pokemon) and Flash Fire as abilities.

That's what I meant xD thanks for correcting me.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2010
    My favorite strategy? Togekiss and Bronzong combine as leads to effectively guarantee that I get Trick Room up with Bronzong. I then switch to something to wreck the common weather that you find in Doubles, like a combo of Tyranitar/Rhyperior that just smacks around stuff. Backup Trick Room Set up and a sweeper that doesn't mind TR but can also function well without it (like priority abusers) then round off the last two members (if it is 6-on-6 doubles, that is).

Togekiss and Bronzong combine battle strategies are also mine fave.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • Suicune and Surf With Water Absorb Pokemon

Entie and Lava Plume with Flash Fire Pokemon.

Raikou and Discharge with Volt Absorb Pokemon or Motor Drive

Nothing beats a classic Earthquake+Protect combo. I always go with that one :B

Back