• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Gaia Version

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2021
    It's been a while since I've played Gaia, but I'm fairly certain that you receive an Eevee egg from your rival early on in the game. On the other hand, I have no idea where you can find Growlithe.

NerdBlogger

NerdBlogger
    Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2016
    Just finished Beta 2, one of the best and most intruiging ROM hacks I have ever played. Gaia is very unique with the fossils etc, and the cave cracks but one improvement would be to have an actual storyline which consists of 3 rival battles, against a specific team, having some (bad blood) between some trainers etc. Other than that, the game is great!

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2023
    Dayamn. :V Even that intro screen looks cool. (Btw, I like how since it's called Pokemon Gaia, you used earthy tones in the start screen. :D )

Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    You get all the stones in the department store in the city next to battle swamp.
    On the other hand,
    Where do I get rock climb and strength?
    It seems like I've completed the demo and all that's remaining are the other tasks that require these both.
    The beta is marvellous, by the way. Loving the spriting, mapping and the functionality, of course. Story, that'll be known quite after the final edition releases!
    PS first post on the forum. +1 for excitement...

Last edited:
    Years
  • Wow I completely forgot to reply to these posts, my apologies!

I've done everything correctly up to there, but I did make one mistake: I didn't put .gba after the name for the new patch. VBA still only shows a white screen when I open the game, though. I checked the original FireRed rom and that one just goes to a white screen when I open it too. I think it's a problem with VBA. I've downloaded it from multiple sources and this always happens, so I don't think it's the site I downloaded from but the emulator itself.
    It's possible that the FireRed ROM you downloaded was itself bugged, so it might be worth downloading from a different site. Also, I'd recommend using VBA-M as opposed to VBA. Good luck!

Finished up until the 5th gym, where the beta ends. Other than the cave glitch the only other glitch that happened was one when I was surfing. My overworld spirit changed to the male sprite, it fixed itself when I walked into a building though.

My team so far is Prinplup, Roserade, Swoobat, Sylveon, Lairon. Not sure if I want to use Dragonite or Rapidash yet. :) Great game!
    I still can't recreate these bugs, which is frustrating, but hopefully I will be able to work them out before Beta 3 comes around. That looks like a great team, though, I'm glad you had fun!

Great hack. Very well thought out. But do you have any idea when the next update will be out? And would I have to start over again when the next beta comes out?
    Thank you! I have no idea when the next beta will be coming out; if I'm honest, I've done little-to-no work since the latest bug fix of this release, so it is a way off for now, I'm afraid.

So would I have to start all over for the next update?
    I will try to avoid this, but I won't make any promises. Hopefully not, though.

how to catch pokermens in this game
    ...you throw a Poké Ball.

I downloaded beta 2
    but when I open there are only Japanese or Chinese text what I have to do
    I'm not sure why this is happening to you; are you sure you've properly extracted the files from the .ZIP folder first?

How many regions are in this hack?
    As of Beta 2, there is only one region accessible, the Orbtus region.

where do i find pancham?
    Pancham is not available for capture in Beta 2.

I started a Let's Play of this hack! So far I'm loving it. You can check it out here:
    http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=8774222#post8774222
    I'm loving the Let's Play!

Your hack is really good! I'm playing it and I'm loving it! Just two little questions though: Where can I find a Sun Stone? And is there some way I can teach Dazzling Gleam to one of my Pokémon? (like Move Tutor, TM etc.)
    Thank you!

Spoiler: Location of Sun Stones
    Two Sun Stones are in Beta 2, and can be found in Poké Balls in Sabulo Stretch and Telmurk City.

Dazzling Gleam can't be taught, yet.

When you finish the hack, will it have all 721 pokemon and all mega evolutions?
    I hope for some of them to be available, but most likely not all of them, no.

Have you implemented Protean?
    No.

You know, I downloaded Version Beta 2.0, and then it only included the "readme.txt", and "LE..exe" thing.
    Where's the patch/rom?

Also, I personally think that having a custom battle sprite is better.
    As in, you know the HP bar?
    It looks stupid if it's the normal FireRed one, so why not change it a bit?
    GBA--Pokemon%20Light%20Platinum_Jun11%2012_10_20.png

Example taken from Pokemon Light Platinum GBA.
    The .UPS in the .ZIP folder is the patch, which should be applied to a FireRed .GBA ROM using the included NUPS.exe file. The battle HUD will eventually be changed, yes.

Curious, since this is a hack of fire red, how will EV training be done? The EV reducing berries don't exist in FR and EVs are crucial to even normal gameplay, and I don't like th eidea of having to re-breed a whole set of six pokemon (including the original starter at the beginning of the game) to get good stats.
    EV Training will likely have its own dedicated mechanics, whether that be some sort of item or minigame or something.

This hack is so great.

I noticed that Scraggy gives too much exp, and the price of charcoal is 9800 its shouldn't. And i'm not sure but I remember using Mach-Punch on a Dark type Pokemon and it was not very effective..
    Thank you! Good catch on Scraggy, it had its Catch Rate value and its Base EXP value confused; that's now fixed! Charcoal's price is actually $9800 in the official games. As for using Mach Punch, you may have been battling Oppos at the time, as his inverse battle mechanic would reverse the effectiveness table.

Can Sneasel evolve or i am leveling it aimlessly?
    Normally it needs Razor claw and nightime but is this possible here?
    As of Beta 2, no, Sneasel cannot be evolved.

Where can I find rock climb and the super rod?
    Rock Climb is not available in Beta 2. The Super Rod can be obtained from a Fisherman in the Windmist Knick-knack Store when you show him a Slowpoke.

iam at Telmurk City i already got 5th badge but iam missing 4th one where to get it.
    and which level scraggy evolves mine is at 33?
    The fourth Gym badge can be obtained from Vernon, in Valoon Town. Scraggy evolves at level 39, just as in the official games.

Walkthrough question: Where do I go after I get the first Gym Leader to the Tunnel? I went through the alternate section of the Tunnel, but that did nothing, and I can't go directly to the temple/mountain that the Professor and Gym Leader talked about, so...?

+ Pretty sure I saw a Shuppet when I was playing in the Tunnel earlier, but they aren't there now. Are cave Pokémon effected by Day/Night system or am I getting confused with another hack?
    You need to go to the Emerald Road, which is accessible once you get HM01 Cut from Master Vince from the Aerous Art Museum. There is no Day/Night System in Gaia, so you just have poor luck I'm afraid!

Just finished the beta i loved it and i want more!!

I noticed that the battle against your rival (the one that's always in his house) is bugged, if you lose you'll lose all your experience from that match, i also noticed that the first half of the game whenever my pokemon where affected by a status effect after the battle ends they lost it but after the second gym i think it didn't happen anymore, also after i faced my rival before entering to the "Battle Frontier" (i think it's called that way) i tried to get back to the pokemon center and i used surf but my Spheal was fainted, so when i did it i just appeared floating without any pokemon and then i couldn't get back to land so i had to exit the game and enter again so when i beat him again i got back to level up my Swablu i faced a Goomy and he used Protection and the game got locked at it it just repeated the same move and i couldn't do anything

Even though there are more bugs, the hack is really enjoyable, it has so many variety in pokemons, by the way, how much pokemons will be avalaible to catch? I really wanna have a game where i can have all the dragon type pokemons :)
    Again, I'm afraid I can't recreate these bugs, but I will remain diligent and try to get them fixed once I can recreate them. I have no set plan on which Pokémon will be available for capture in the final version of Gaia, but I can assure you it will be a substantial selection!

Just finished playing the game all the way through to where Beta 2 ends, and I have to say that it was an awesome experience! I won't even be mad if I have to start over when Beta 3 comes outs, the gameplay was very nice, and smooth (no bugs on my part). Can't wait to play it again!
    Thank you! Your feedback means a lot! :D

I'm loving this so far, got a couple episodes af a let's play done. First one's up already; Great job as always SphericalIce, your work never disappoints ^-^
    Wow, thank you! I always love watching Let's Plays of my hack!

File names come up as chinese characters like this: 啎卐攮數. Help would be much appreciated, if you've the time.
    Again, are you sure you've extracted the files from the .ZIP folder first?

I started to play this hack yesterday and I am loving it. Is it possible to catch a growlithe, or an eevee in this game?
    Thank you! Eevee is obtainable, but I won't spoil how. Growlithe is not available for capture in Beta 2, however.

Just finished Beta 2, one of the best and most intruiging ROM hacks I have ever played. Gaia is very unique with the fossils etc, and the cave cracks but one improvement would be to have an actual storyline which consists of 3 rival battles, against a specific team, having some (bad blood) between some trainers etc. Other than that, the game is great!
    Thank you! I would argue that the story is an "actual story", and I'm unsure why there needs to be three Rivals. There is indeed a specific team, they are just relatively mysterious as of Beta 2. More will be revealed in the third beta!

Dayamn. :V Even that intro screen looks cool. (Btw, I like how since it's called Pokemon Gaia, you used earthy tones in the start screen. :D )
    Thanks, that was the intention!

You get all the stones in the department store in the city next to battle swamp.
    On the other hand,
    Where do I get rock climb and strength?
    It seems like I've completed the demo and all that's remaining are the other tasks that require these both.
    The beta is marvellous, by the way. Loving the spriting, mapping and the functionality, of course. Story, that'll be known quite after the final edition releases!
    PS first post on the forum. +1 for excitement...
    Rock Climb and Strength are both unavailable in Beta 2. Thank you!

You can redownload to apply the very few minor changes I have made; sorry I have so little to show, I've just been slightly under-motivated as of recently. Hopefully I'll get back into the swing of things soon, though!

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    A minigame would be ideal, since I recall the JPAN engine has some kind of trick to it which allows for a different way to EV train.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    Finally got around to finishing this hack off, I really enjoyed it! One small bug I noticed, Frillish (and possibly Jellicent too, I didn't test it) can't learn surf.

EDIT: also, it appears that if you skip the fourth badge, you can still use fly outside of battle once you get it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2017
    Hello, Spherical Ice! I was very taken with your hack Pokemon Gaia; I haven't played many but yours strikes me as the best I've tried yet.

I specifically wanted to thank you for the scripting and story work you did; I felt as immersed as I would in any Gamefreak original creation. In particular I remember, shortly after getting my starter, entering the first cave in the game. You added a bunch of trainers in that cave that didn't want to battle, just talk. It might seem like a very small detail but it made the cave feel alive, and in that moment I knew the hack was going to be one of the best because you, the creator, understand the importance of detail and atmosphere.

I did have one question, though, about the gym leaders. Why did you choose to make three of the five (so far) weak to rock types? This was the only thing I found a little disappointing because my Boldore (nee: Roggenrola) got a little too much exposure in those important battles.

Looking forward to future updates. :)

juzzRizard

Pokemon Collector
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Hi there! great hack! I've been playing this for few hours now.
    though there's a bug for machoke i guess?

Screenshot_2015_07_06_17_08_58.png

Screenshot_2015_07_06_17_04_39.png

it doesn't evolve to Machamp. Hopefully this can be fixed on the next update.

excited for the next update XD

Years
  • A minigame would be ideal, since I recall the JPAN engine has some kind of trick to it which allows for a different way to EV train.
    A minigame would be interesting, I agree!

Finally got around to finishing this hack off, I really enjoyed it! One small bug I noticed, Frillish (and possibly Jellicent too, I didn't test it) can't learn surf.

EDIT: also, it appears that if you skip the fourth badge, you can still use fly outside of battle once you get it.
    These will be fixed for Beta 3.

Hello, Spherical Ice! I was very taken with your hack Pokemon Gaia; I haven't played many but yours strikes me as the best I've tried yet.

I specifically wanted to thank you for the scripting and story work you did; I felt as immersed as I would in any Gamefreak original creation. In particular I remember, shortly after getting my starter, entering the first cave in the game. You added a bunch of trainers in that cave that didn't want to battle, just talk. It might seem like a very small detail but it made the cave feel alive, and in that moment I knew the hack was going to be one of the best because you, the creator, understand the importance of detail and atmosphere.

I did have one question, though, about the gym leaders. Why did you choose to make three of the five (so far) weak to rock types? This was the only thing I found a little disappointing because my Boldore (nee: Roggenrola) got a little too much exposure in those important battles.

Looking forward to future updates. :)
    Thank you! It's nice to see the smaller details be appreciated! The weakness to Rock-types was sort of intentional, as they were essentially the earlygame rare type what with Archan Tunnel. I do agree that it may be a bit too biased, though, so that is something to consider! Thanks for your feedback.

Hi there! great hack! I've been playing this for few hours now.
    though there's a bug for machoke i guess?

Screenshot_2015_07_06_17_08_58.png

Screenshot_2015_07_06_17_04_39.png

it doesn't evolve to Machamp. Hopefully this can be fixed on the next update.

excited for the next update XD
    Oh, wow, that is a silly bug. I've fixed it, but it won't be pushed until Beta 3 I'm afraid.

Progress has been very very slow, but I have been doing more behind-the-scenes stuff, in the form (pun intended) of adding formes and megas! It was mostly a lot of boring data entry, but it does mean I get to show you guys this snazzy video of Touched's Mega Evolution code in action.

More updates soon, maybe!

juzzRizard

Pokemon Collector
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    wow! megas! yay!! i just hope the other sprites are better than other hacks out there lol

Screenshot_2015_07_06_16_44_49.png

is dual chop a dragon move? i guess not,,is this fixed on the next beta?
    *to other players there, it will help if you found and report some bugs, especially critical bugs.

thanks for this game, can't wait for the next beta XD

Back