• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My First Competitive OU Team

Piranha

Aqua Jet!
Years
  • Hello everyone! I'm new to forums and competitive battling. This is the first OU team that I made for Gen V. I need constructive criticism on how to improve my team. All comments are welcome!

Nin-Worm (Agirudaa) (M) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Sticky Hold
    EVs: 136 Atk / 120 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
    - Spikes
    - Yawn
    - U-turn
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

I choose this lead because it is guaranteed to outspeed most leads, phaze them out and get up at least a layer of spikes with Focus Sash. U-turn is for scouting and Hp Fire is for steel and other bug types. It is also a good counter to Trickers.

Electro-Coil (Magnezone) @ Balloon
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 200 HP / 208 Def / 100 SAtk
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Magnet Rise
    - Volt Change

I noticed that I probably don't have a good answer to Doryuuzu, so I put Magnezone in to help. Balloon allows it to set up Magnet Rise so that Earthquake does not hit it and then kills it with HP Fire. It can also help to get rid of other steels such as Skarmory and Jirachi. Def EVs allow it to take +2 Rock Slide from Doryuuzu. Volt Change for scouting.

Genie (Randorosu) (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Sand Power
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Explosion
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn

CB Randorosu is my powerhouse. It usually comes in late game to clean up with Double STAB'd Earthquake. I usually try to paralyze most of the opponent's team with Rankurusu first, but it is usually fast enough to sweep by itself. Edgequake combo is obvious. U-turn is for scouting and Explosion is a last resort.

Godzilla (Tyranitar) (M) @ Muscle Band
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 236 HP / 224 Atk / 48 Def
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Pursuit
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake

I'm not sure about this one. I wanted a bulky sandstream pokemon that can set-up SR and pose a decent offensive threat, as well as checking Ghost types. Maybe I'm trying to do too much at once? Anyway, I wanted this to be a bulky T-Tar that can set up SR and pursuit Ghosts. I also wanted it to last so I used Muscle Band instead of Life Orb.

Jellywisp (Burungeru) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Cursed Body
    EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 112 SAtk / 48 SDef / 44 Spd
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Boil Over
    - Ice Beam
    - Recover
    - Taunt

With a lot of entry hazards, getting it spinned away will be a pity. I wanted a spin-blocker and a bulky water to check Dragons and other Bulky Waters, so I decided to use Burungeru. EVs outspeed 0 Spd? Vaporeon so that I can taunt it before it toxics me. Boil Over for the burn chance, Ice Beam for Grass and Dragon. Recover for reliable recovery and Taunt to stop Status Moves. I used Cursed Body instead of Water Absorb as an ability because I thought that Burungeru can take water attacks well enough and has recovery, so a 1/3 chance of disabling a move seemed like a more attractive option.

Cytoplasm (Rankurusu) (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
    Hardy Nature
    - Psychic
    - Focus Blast
    - Thunder Wave
    - Recover

I also noticed that I probably can't handle Roopushin very well, so Rankurusu helps with that. It can take a Payback since it is slower and KO with LO Psychic. LO works well since it has Magic Guard, which also nullifies SS damage. I used Recover because I wanted it to last and T-Wave is to spread status around for Randorosu. Focus Blast helps to take care of Tyranitar and other Dark types.

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
  • You have some good ideas with your team, I just want to make some changes:

-Yawn really doesn't accomplish much on Agirudaa, I would replace it with Bug Buzz for a STAB that you dont have to switch for. I also prefer Focus Blast on the set to hit Steels and Tyranitar hard, you could go with this >> HP Fire.
    - Balloon and Magnet Rise are redundant with Volt Change. I would scrap the Balloon and Volt Change for some Leftovers and a Substitute. If you want to keep the Balloon, scrap Volt Change for Flash Cannon and Magnet Rise for Sub. Flash Cannon actually can 2HKO a lot of stuff (well I would run max Spa to guarantee this) including Hippowdon, Gliscor, and Randorusu who would otherwise laugh at you big time as they switched in.
    - Bulky Tyranitar works better with a mixed set to beat up on Nattorei. Try Fire Blast or Flamethrower >> Earthquake and see how it works. Of course, you'll want to change the EVs, I'll find those soon lol.
    - Eh, supporting Rankurusu with T-wave is kinda strange. I would recommend Calm Mind>> T-wave, but if you really prefer what you have then that's fine. I also recommend some more Defense EVs, maybe take them out of Special Attack if you decide to go with Calm Mind (plus Rankurusu has base 140 so it hurts that much more)

You really don't have an answer to Return Doryuzuu at all unless you manage to set up a Substitute with Magnezone. I would seriously recommend an answer to this since you do rely on Sandstorm for a lot of power support. I'm not sure if Desukan can survive a Doryuzu Earthquake, but if it can and burn Doryuzu, your job is a lot easier. I'll run calcs on that and get back to this rate later.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • ^ Ranculus has base 125. Anyway, I don't get why it's Hardy, but not Modest. For Burungel, you could work Toxic in over Ice Beam to try to bring down walls. For Tyranitar: Leftovers >>>> Muscle Band because of the bulk.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
  • @ Skippy, if he skips the balloon + magnet rise combo, Zone no longer counters Dory ;;

(53.59% - 63.54%) <- 100 SpA Zone vs Dory w/ HP Fire if my calcs are correct.
    (17.22% - 20.24%) <- 252 +2 Jolly Dory Rock Slide vs your Zone. Be careful, however, as some Dory run Brick Break just to check other Balloon Dory, meaning that your Magnezone could be losing (68.88% - 81.57%) or (89.43% - 105.74%) if it is a LO version :< Still, I like the idea of your trollzone, and it might be very useful considering how most of them run X-Scissor or Rapid Spin.
    I'd second the Flash Cannon >> Volt Change suggestion however, as it would let you wreck many potential switch-ins including for instance Latios/Latias after Dory/ is done for.

Water Absorb is nice on Burunkeru despite the fact that it resists water-type moves, because it enjoys the free 25% as well as being immune to potential boiling water burns is really nice, as it hates the extra damage combined with ss.

Bulk Up Zuruzukin could be annoying to you, just make sure that you get Randorosu in before it gets to set up much, or it will likely be very troublesome.

Also, perhaps change Rank's nature to Modest or Bold? Hardy isn't doing much.
    Legacy Raider posted a rather nice EV spread if you are using Rank as a sort-of defensive pivot here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3145476&postcount=21

Leftovers could probably also work out decently on TTar. With a neutral nature and zero investment Flamethrower does (55.68% - 65.91%) to 252|208 Nattorei, Fire Blast does (70.45% - 82.95%) (and that is probably the most specially defensive nattorei you'll ever meet). If you really want to kill it off, you could run those 48 Defense EVs in SpA and give it a Quiet nature I guess, making Fire Blast do (79.55% - 94.32%), a tiny weenie chance to ohko w/ rocks up, however as long as you have Rankurusu Nattorei shouldn't be bothering you too much. Good luck with your team!

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    I feel like Roobushin could fit in well here. It checks Dory and Zuruzukin. Not to mention it gives you some form of priority to this very slow team. Agiruda is sadly the only thing that can be replaced without removing a check for something vital. (Yawn is vital on it imo btw, it stops you being SD/DD etc bait, just for future reference and racks up hazards in the process and makes them sac something to sleep if you can chain it).

Tyranitar should be specially defensive with Sassy to cover your Lati@s weak.

Magnezone wants Timid 216 speed / 252 S.Atk / 42 HP to beat Scizor and Charge Beam or Flash Cannon over Volt Change. Charge Beam is fun for setting up on steel walls. Flash Cannon hits Glis, Landlos, Chomp, Tar etc.

CB Rand is amazing lol

Piranha

Aqua Jet!
    Years
  • Thanks for the feedback, everyone! About the nature on Rankurusu, I forgot to set it, it was supposed to be Modest.

@Skip Shot:

Yawn on Agirudaa helps to stop set-up and I'll try out Focus Blast over HP Fire, though the accuracy sets me off a bit.

Balloon and Magnet Rise together is to counter Dory. Switch it in after it kills one of my Pokemon, then Balloon will prevent Earthquake while I set up Magnet Rise, then 2KOes it with HP Fire. Volt Change on Magnezone was for scouting, but I'll try out Flash Cannon since it is probably too slow to use Volt Change anyway.

I didn't really know what to put for a bulky T-Tar, but I wanted an SRer that sets up Sandstorm and generally bulky with decent offenses, so T-Tar was my choice. I'll try out Fire Blast over Earthquake and see how it goes, but I'll have to change the nature and tweak the EVs a bit, which I'm not very good at. :'(

T-Wave helps to slow down fast Pokemon so Randorosu can sweep, or is he already fast enough without needing T-Wave support? I wanted a Rankurusu so that I could counter Roopushin since I think LO Modest Psychic OHKOes it.

@PlatinumDude:

I wanted Ice Beam on Burungeru for Dragons, so I'm not very sure about Toxic. I think Randorosu does a good job at breaking down walls, though.

For Tyranitar, if Muscle Band doesn't achieve significant KOs, then I'll switch to Leftovers.

@Opposite Day:

I'll switch Volt Change with Flash Cannon and I'll think about Water Absorb, since Cursed Body hasn't worked at all for me (I know it's probably a 1/3 chance).

I haven't met a Bulk Up Zuruzukin yet, so I can't really comment on how to deal with it.

I don't know whether to change EVs or not, I'll ideally like Rankurusu to be bulky, but I also want it to counter Roopushin and changing those EVs will cause it to lose out on the OHKO.

I'll think about Leftovers on T-Tar and I'll try out Fire Blast over Earthquake.

@Dark Azelf:

I don't know what to switch Roopushin for, though. I was trying to make this a bulky offense team that quickly set up hazards and put out burst damage with Randorosu. I think I may be trying to do too much at once...

Doesn't SS up its Sp.Def already? That's why I put my EVs into Def, or is it still not enough to beat Lati@s?

The EVs on Magnezone were to help it counter Dory, if I change those EVs, it would lose its purpose. I'll change Volt Change for Flash Cannon, though.

Yeah, it KOed a 70%+ Swampert.:D

I playtested a few battles with this team and got swept by a Warubiaru with Overconfidence. Randorosu was down and I had switched HP Fire with Focus Blast and kept Yawn. I switched in Agirudaa and Focus Blast missed. Everything else got outsped and taken down by Earthquake or Crunch. Any suggestions on how to deal with it?

Also,I'll try tweaking the EV spreads myself, but I don't know where to find a reliable Gen V damage calculator. BTW, how do I quote posts from different people?

Once again, thank you for your feedback!

Back