• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Release] Pokémon Essentials, version 4 - 24th December 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
    • Seen today
    Maruno, did you really take a look on the stuff that I sent you a while ago? I sent a tm.txt with all 3/4/5 gen TMs AND Tutors! If you wish I can remove the gen 5 pokémon for yours essentials compatibility.

I have some suggestions for the next releases

1-I took a look at you version and can't believe that you don't put links to you wiki! Some people don't download it for your wikia and don't know how to search for help! Put it in Oak introdution, in some txt on Essentials and in the notes.html
    2-Put in Oak introdution a note to change the game.ini line to "Library=RGSS102E.dll". Some RPG Makers change it on edit the game.
    3-The 10/03/11 version don't play the pokémon cry when I open one entry at pokédex. Take a look.
    4-The Happiness on Essentials is wrong! Change every happiness moddification (search for pokemon.happiness) in script to Happiness.modify(pokemon, gaintype) where the gaintype is one of the nine variables in script like Happiness::LEVELUP and gaintype==Happiness::VITAMIN
    Spoiler:
    5-In the box menu you can put a button to change the hand for orange like in official games? The orange hand withdraw/deposit/move the pokémon without show the other options.
    6-Can you make in Settings an option to change the Bike speed? I try to change by myself but this make the player don't activate touch events and other side effects.
    7-Can you make extra forms in a PBS? You can define optional values like type, base stats, other movepool, necessary moves (Rotom) and some other effect like "Burmy style" or "Shaymin Style". This make more easier for making similar forms to fakemons
    8-Can make a easier way to put more screens before title screens? Maybe pass 3 attributes, the screen image, delay and if its can be canceled. I you wish I can make an example script
    9-Make an option on settings to pushing some buttons to open a tutorial screen like FrLg. It's good for rookies.
    10-Maybe a Rotom sample change form event? Put a event some text like "A wash machine. You wish to show it to some pokémon?", call the pbChoosePokemon and the RotomForm.rotomChangeForm. Use for the first parameter the pbChoosePokemon variable return, for the second put the numbers 1-5 for every device.
    Spoiler:
    11-Can you put in Essentials some more tutorials like:
    -Adding an icon for player's position in mapDisallow running in certain places.
    -Adding un-catchable/un-fightable pokemon like the ghosts in Lavender Town's Pokemon Tower
    -Disallow running in certain places
    -Building better bridges
    -Making maps sloped for cycling
    12-If you wish to put the "Settings" script over global metadata, why don't move out the global metadata functions to Settings or vice-versa. Maybe you can only leaves the players options on Settings.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen today
    Guys, this particular thread is only for talking about the latest release. Any other discussion, questions or suggestions should go in their own threads in this new section.

Maruno, did you really take a look on the stuff that I sent you a while ago? I sent a tm.txt with all 3/4/5 gen TMs AND Tutors! If you wish I can remove the gen 5 pokémon for yours essentials compatibility.
    Yes, I looked at what you sent me. I've already added it to the next release. There were no Gen 5 Pokémon mentioned in there, so that's not a problem.

I have some suggestions for the next releases

1-I took a look at you version and can't believe that you don't put links to you wiki! Some people don't download it for your wikia and don't know how to search for help! Put it in Oak introdution, in some txt on Essentials and in the notes.html
    2-Put in Oak introdution a note to change the game.ini line to "Library=RGSS102E.dll". Some RPG Makers change it on edit the game.
    3-The 10/03/11 version don't play the pokémon cry when I open one entry at pokédex. Take a look.
    4-The Happiness on Essentials is wrong! Change every happiness moddification (search for pokemon.happiness) in script to Happiness.modify(pokemon, gaintype) where the gaintype is one of the nine variables in script like Happiness::LEVELUP and gaintype==Happiness::VITAMIN
    Spoiler:
    5-In the box menu you can put a button to change the hand for orange like in official games? The orange hand withdraw/deposit/move the pokémon without show the other options.
    6-Can you make in Settings an option to change the Bike speed? I try to change by myself but this make the player don't activate touch events and other side effects.
    7-Can you make extra forms in a PBS? You can define optional values like type, base stats, other movepool, necessary moves (Rotom) and some other effect like "Burmy style" or "Shaymin Style". This make more easier for making similar forms to fakemons
    8-Can make a easier way to put more screens before title screens? Maybe pass 3 attributes, the screen image, delay and if its can be canceled. I you wish I can make an example script
    9-Make an option on settings to pushing some buttons to open a tutorial screen like FrLg. It's good for rookies.
    10-Maybe a Rotom sample change form event? Put a event some text like "A wash machine. You wish to show it to some pokémon?", call the pbChoosePokemon and the RotomForm.rotomChangeForm. Use for the first parameter the pbChoosePokemon variable return, for the second put the numbers 1-5 for every device.
    Spoiler:
    11-Can you put in Essentials some more tutorials like:
    -Adding an icon for player's position in mapDisallow running in certain places.
    -Adding un-catchable/un-fightable pokemon like the ghosts in Lavender Town's Pokemon Tower
    -Disallow running in certain places
    -Building better bridges
    -Making maps sloped for cycling
    12-If you wish to put the "Settings" script over global metadata, why don't move out the global metadata functions to Settings or vice-versa. Maybe you can only leaves the players options on Settings.
    1. There's an Internet shortcut in the main folder of Essentials to the wiki. That should be enough. As far as I know, the only links to the downloads are on the wiki. I intend to remove the notes files as soon as they become redundant.

2. Mentioned on the wiki, in the Error messages page. I don't know how common this problem is, so I don't know if it needs more attention.

3. Noted and fixed for the next release.

4. I'll look into that. It'd help if I knew how it was wrong.

5. I think I see what you mean. The list of PC boxes to deposit a Pokémon into is an actual list, not an orange rectangle you can scroll left/right on (same goes for "jumping" to another box). That's a cosmetic change, really, but it may be changed in time.

6. The cycling speed isn't something you really need easy access to. It's in Walk_Run, line 67 (currently 5.2). I wouldn't know about how changing it affects things.

7. Ideally I'd like to do that, but it'd be an awful lot of work and it's not exactly necessary (what exists works). For the meantime, you'll just have to settle for defining things in PokemonMultipleForms.

8. The wiki page Game intro describes all this. I may make a Setting out of it, though.

9. There's an explanation for newbies in the Oak's lecture. I'm not sure anyone playing these games would need tutorials in the first place. What kind of tutorials were you thinking of?

10. Good point. That'll be something to add into the example maps, probably when they're redesigned.

11. I intend to add the player's location in Town Map and better bridges (I'm thinking up an even better system). The others, I don't. If people want those features, the tutorials are there.

12. I'll look into some rearranging.

Thanks for your comments.

RaulCortez

Maybe active...sometimes?
    Years
  • Hi Maruno,

Sorry for posting a question on this thread that's not strictly related to bugs or the latest release, but apparently any other thread about Pokemon Essentials is closed, and also i think this question can't be answered unless you have a wide understanding of the workings of the scripts in pokemon essentials, which you have:

I'm using the latest release (december 24), and I'd like to change the battle system. Not sure if it's a huge change, but instead of using a backsprite, i'd like to use the front sprite, but mirrored, the way it shows on the summary. Here's a picture to illustrate what i mean:

Spoiler:

Now, the position of the hp bars were easy to change, but my main thing is that i put torchic on that position by mirroring the sprite on photoshop and then replacing the backsprite with the mirrored version. Then i had to reposition it to be on that place with the editor.

If i did that with each and every pokemon of all the 600+...well, you can imagine.

But i really don't think that should be necessary if there was a way to just use the front sprite, mirror it and use it on battle, on that position, just like the summary sprite.

So, i'm not sure if that peculiar thing requires a lot of work or if it can be done with minor tweaks, so i'm asking:

How can i do it?
    Is that on the Pokebattle_ActualScene part?
    Or is it somewhere else?

And...i think that's it. It would be great it you could give me some advice on that. Thank you so much, and then again sorry for posting in here, i couldn't find any other place for this question!

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen today
    @RaulCortez: Try to make something like "@sprites["pokemon"].mirror=true"
    ---
    I found more Glitches and put in the Known bugs page on wikia. I also need to take a look in incense breeding, if this work even when incense is on the father instead of mother.

Yes, I looked at what you sent me. I've already added it to the next release. There were no Gen 5 Pokémon mentioned in there, so that's not a problem.
    Have we talking about the same file? The one that I sent you in July?

Spoiler:
    1-You need to search a little more on internet. A tip is to put the download url code (like jwi75o21rmkrajl) in google to see what it takes. Even this latest one have an external linked, but this time the ones who linked put also a link to your wiki. In the most of the time they don't put, sometimes they re-upload the file, so the tip won't work, sometimes they change the files on the folder and even change the kit itself . The're also sites that google can't catch.
    For this think about at least change the phrase that mention notes.html on Oak's lecture to a your wiki link.

2-I put more details in Error messages page, take a look if you didn't see yet.

6-That is the big problem.

9-You need to consider that there a small portion of people playing Essentials games never played a pokémon game before. Anyway the FrLg tutorial is very useful, specially the type chart, and can be accessed in field or in battle simply tounching R/L buttons. It's hard to find videos or screens about this, I only found screen of japanese version but I'm sure that the english versions have it. That not to be confused with Teachy TV.
    report1.gif

Last edited:

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
    Years
  • Enough with the questions in this thread. You're finally allowed to make threads on questions you have. You're not to post questions in any release thread, that's what the Essentials forum was created for.

RaulCortez

Maybe active...sometimes?
    Years
  • Sorry Cilerba, i didn't knew you could do a whole thread for a question. Will make the thread now! And Thanks, FL!

To stay on topic, i must say this is a great release. I liked the whole berry plant thingie on the 3rd gen games, and to be able to use it now is great. The Pokédex also looks way cooler now! I wonder if there will be honey trees in future releases? that would be great!

the__end

Pixel Artist
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2016
    It may be worthwhile releasing version 4.1 with these things fixed.

so do you releasing a version where the bugs are fixed? ^^
    because i cant fix the bug where the pokedex dont appear in the menu after receiving it... =(
    i tried the way you said but its not working... (maybe im doing something wrong >.<)
    pls release a version where it is fixed! =(

Maruno

Years
    • Seen today
    There'll be a new version hopefully later this month, with a few things patched up. Then I'll get started on the resizing to DS resolution thing, which will take a while.

D. Lawride

Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!
    Years
  • There'll be a new version hopefully later this month, with a few things patched up. Then I'll get started on the resizing to DS resolution thing, which will take a while.

I have some of the settings for the DS already set up in my project, so maybe it'll spare you some work?

Also, in case you do release another version, would it be possible to append a .txt or something of that sort listing the changes made (or, if anything, the scripts changed)? It could be useful for all of us, for you if you can't find what was edited last time and for developers like me who would want to update the pack without having to port the whole project all over again or spend hours without end searching for the changes. I know they are listed in the wiki, but they're listed as features and not quite as where that feature was changed.

Anyways, just a suggestion. This release seems to be the most functional thus far.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen today
    I'm not interested in providing a running commentary on every little thing I've tweaked (funnily enough, I've got enough to think about already), but if someone else wants to compile a per-line change list, go right ahead. Said list can go on the wiki.

I would say the best way to go about updating is not to find what's changed in the latest version and apply it to your game, but to take your own changes and apply them to the latest version. At least then you're putting your own tweaks on top of a working version.

D. Lawride

Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!
    Years
  • I'm not interested in providing a running commentary on every little thing I've tweaked (funnily enough, I've got enough to think about already), but if someone else wants to compile a per-line change list, go right ahead. Said list can go on the wiki.

I would say the best way to go about updating is not to find what's changed in the latest version and apply it to your game, but to take your own changes and apply them to the latest version. At least then you're putting your own tweaks on top of a working version.

Well, that's true, but I didn't mean an exceptionally explicit report. What I meant was indicating, in addition to what features were changed, which scripts were modified (with no need to pinpoint exactly what line(s) was(ere) edited). Just knowing the script that was changed is very useful for comparison, and it shouldn't be too hard to either add an item to a list every time something is modified, or even adding a comment on the top a modified script indicating the version it was last changed in.

That's also true, but sometimes said changes are simply important to how the game works (such as the correction of that bug regarding the trainer events not disappearing properly. It was an easy fix, but it was just easier to update the script with all the changes done to it) and work best when applied together. I can't think of anything from the top of my head, but for instance, changes to the Pokémon's inner-workings most likely require editing more than just a couple of lines. As you've stated in another topic, it works better that way, and if people have the chance the upgrade, then I think the logical decision would be to do so. We're all using the same base, Essentials, so we may as well use the best version of it.

CapricornPsyche

Psychic Trainer of Capricorn
    Years
    • Age 34
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 11, 2012
    Wow, it was released on christmas? OwO cool! lol Anyway, I took the opportunity to download this for me and my friends Indie Pokemon game :3 thank you!

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    Um, any idea where I would find "next eligable" Pokémon in a Pokémon battle, how it works with eggs is a good example, like if position 1 were ineligable to battle it would pick position 2 and so forth. X

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back