• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I would appreciate some help with my team =)

Anti

return of the king
Years
  • Edited version yo. This one is better put together...I think. Thank you Vraikou!

Mew @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Synchronize
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Super Fang
    - Aura Sphere
    - Flamethrower
    - Psychic

Mew is here to do damage. And he's great at it. It doesn't pack a huge punch but it's designed to lure and kill Tyranitar and Scizor. At the lead spot, it's kind of a fake Baton Pass or taun kind of deal so I can Super Fang the PHazer right away...that's the theorymon, at least. I also put this here to deal with Bulk Up Fighting-types and whatnot, which is why I went for Psychic over Psyshock. Beyond that, just Super Fang and attack. It's really straightforward. It's nice that the heavy use of Ferrothorn gives this a free switch-in (even at the cost of Spikes layers). Also, since Mew isn't really an integral part of the strategy beyond wearing down the opponent, it makes a really handy death fodder once it's taken damage (and it usually can survive a few hits thanks to its bulk). So yeah, that's Mew. Mew is really cool!

Conkeldurr (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Guts
    EVs: 252 HP / 120 Atk / 136 SDef
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Bulk Up
    - Drain Punch
    - Mach Punch
    - Stone Edge

Once again, this is just here for Tyranitar, Excadrill (since I figure he won't be banned), and just for priority in general. It's also a terrific endgame sweeper, as I have discovered. I did bulk him up (hehe pun) a bit more than the Smogon spread since his primary purpose is defense, but I find that my Excavalier just works so amazingly well with Conkeldurr that this can sweep at the end. I used Stone Edge over Payback because I have Excavalier for Latias and Gengar. Stone Edge sure loves to miss, but it has some nice usefulness as a way to slay Flying-types. This is nice since I have discovered a major Zapdos problem! I'll get to that later though.

Hydreigon (M) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 60 HP / 252 SAtk / 196 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
    - Draco Meteor
    - Flamethrower
    - Surf
    - U-turn

This is basically a more direct and less cute version of Mew. In other words, instead of getting cute with Super Fang, this rips you apart with Draco Meteor. Just like before, U-turn is mostly here to fake a Scarf set but since I don't plan on battling on Smogon much you guys won't fall for that so I might have to change that! In any event, Draco Meteor hits harder than Timid Latios Draco Meteor (and almost as hard as Modest), and its coverage moves take care of all non-pink blobs that stop it. I am considering using a Garchomp here though, as its resistance to Electric-type attacks seems valuable, and it still hits pretty hard! But this has performed quite well for me. He was chosen over other strong CBers/Specs users mostly for its Ground immunity and Electric resistance, hehe.

Escavalier (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Swarm
    EVs: 248 HP / 24 Atk / 232 SDef / 4 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Megahorn
    - Pursuit
    - Return
    - Knock Off

Terrible movepool aside, this thing is a beast! It's one of my primary stoppers against special attackers like Gengar and Latias, and its Pursuit is very easy to use! The last slot is Knock Off because there really isn't a better option, but I guess Rock Smash works. I wonder though since my Attack investment is so low. Speaking of the EVs, this is bulky so that it can take some very strong attacks from the aforementioned threats. I can't really switch anything else into them so it's pretty necessary IMO. But wow, this thing's resistances are pretty nifty and even with the small Attack investment it still hits very hard with that Megahorn! Excavalier is kind of like Heracross but adapted to fit well into the metagame. I love him!

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Recover
    - Taunt
    - Will-O-Wisp

Mostly here to fill holes, Jellicent is solid. It spreads around the burn status, but it is also a nice vehicle to switch momentum back. By this I mean that I can send this on on something it stops, like Heatran or Gliscor, and then my opponent will almost positively make a really obvious switch, and I can double-switch...of course, you have always been able to do that, but the WiFi pregame thing makes it easier to predict. Beyond that, yeah, it's here to wall stuff. And it's pretty good at that!

Bronzong @ Macho Brace
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
    - Trick Room
    - Gyro Ball
    - Earthquake
    - Hypnosis

I put this in to do two things: first, it could clean up messes later in matches. The second thing though is even more important: it takes choiced Dragon attacks and reverses momentum. Even if this gets walled, I have some very slow Pokemon that can take advantage of Trick Room. This is by no means a Trick Room team but it isn't always a detriment, and Hypnosis is nice because it can basically knock out my opponent's first switch into this...and then I can send in the appropriate heavy hitter. Of course, its Speed IV is at 0. Beyond that, it's just here to cause grief. Bronzong is pretty nifty!

Bye D_A...

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Hey Anti,

FIRST OFF THIS TEAM IS VERY OBVIOUSLY SWAGCHOMP WEAK SO GET A COUNTER FOR THAT

Pokemon-wise, I think you should find replacements for Machamp and Suicune. Like I just said somewhere else, Machamp really isn't in his prime here in Gen V, for various reasons. With the new advent of the Fighting-type, everyone is really prepared for Fighting-moves (see: usage of Reuniclus, Jellicent, Gliscor, etc) to the point that basically every team is going to have something that can take on Machamp, unlike last gen. Machamp just doesn't hit hard enough or utilize its bulk to take hits well enough in this high-powered meta to really merit any use. Plus the Payback nerf really sucks for it.

Suicune lost a lot of vitality last gen from the introduction of Ferrothorn and to a lesser extent, Jellicent & the breaking of the sleep mechanic. Honestly, I think that whatever role you're trying to fill with Suicune - whether it's as a bulky water or an offensive sweeper, there are Pokemon that do it better than Suicune. I mean, Suicune's only recovery as a bulky water is through restalk and that's limiting and nerfed and annoying, and then as far as sweeping Suicune a) has to find time to CM up and b) has to pick whether it wants to be walled by Ferrothorn or bulky waters in general.

The rest of your sets are quite obviously fine as they're mostly standard. I think one of the big things that might hurt your team is the lack of a really solid EQ resist - Hydreigon, yeah, but everything that uses EQ carries a move to hit it super-effective and then you're out on an EQ resist if you have any kind of mispredict. Plus, it's choiced, and you'll be switching it in and out all the time anyway...

One of the other things I wrote down when I was looking over your team is other Conkeldurr. What happens when it gets in a Bulk Up or more on your team? Mew can't do anything to it but multiply its attack by burning (guts), and pretty much everything else just gets all of their health Drain Punched away. Hydreigon could work but I doubt it lives a +1 Mach Punch.

Breloom (especially Mach Punch variations) don't have much fear of you, either. I think your biggest problem is that half of your team doesn't really have any kind of cutting edge, any way to get in and change the momentum immediately. Mew and Jirachi are the kind of Pokemon that are like "let's take hits until they get haxed and we get an opportunity to hit back" and even then Mew can't hit back. Yeah, it's a fair defensive wall, but I don't think it effectively provides anything for your team right now, especially not when you consider things like anything with Substitute or Guts that Mew just can't touch. If anything, I think you might try running Psychic > Super Fang.

I think another thing is that you really don't have any kind of speed on offense. You have priority in Durr's Mach Punch, but outside of that you're not hitting anything before it has a chance to smack you back. :( Things like Sub SD Landlos really don't seem like they have a lot of trouble with you either, especially since Mew can't burn them behind a sub. :(

I'll keep editing as I think of things. :]

D_A... <3

Last edited:

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • Okay, thanks a ton Vrai, the new version is definitely better. I updated the OP (and I'll soon put in sprites, probably). More rates would be fab =)

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2011
    I'm not gonna act like I'm all pro in competetive battling, but I'd change Stone edge to Rock Slide on Conkledurr. After 1 Bulk Up, Conkledurr OHKO's all flyings with Rock Slide IIRC.

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
  • I think Iron Head or Rock Smash is a better option than Knock Off on Escavalier. Iron Head gets STAB and can hurt pretty hard whilst Rock Smash can be used for Excadrill which practically walls you, but then again Conkelderp beats it.

I'll come back when I spot something else/ think of a Zapdos solution lol.

And D_A left? NOOO I'm behind =/

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I think Iron Head or Rock Smash is a better option than Knock Off on Escavalier. Iron Head gets STAB and can hurt pretty hard whilst Rock Smash can be used for Excadrill which practically walls you, but then again Conkelderp beats it.

I'll come back when I spot something else/ think of a Zapdos solution lol.

And D_A left? NOOO I'm behind =/

Knock Off is cool because whatever comes in on Escavalier loses their item, making them much less effective. Plus, whatever move goes there is just filler anyway, so any of those three options are equally good imo. Excadrill takes like 75% from max Escavalier's Megahorn, so I'm pretty solidly sure that this one 2HKOs.

get on the server more shub

Back