• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can you enter a blackhole?

killer-curry

Oro.........?
Years
  • Well blackhole is a thing that sucks everything include light due to it's immerse gravitaional field, but what could be happened if we or an object enters the blackhole?

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
    Years
  • You'd probably be pulled apart by its gravity into tiny subatomic particles.

But since a black hole affects time itself, it's possible that time is slowed down so much that you'll fall for an eternity without ever reaching the center of it.

Years
  • You'd probably be pulled apart by its gravity into tiny subatomic particles.

But since a black hole affects time itself, it's possible that time is slowed down so much that you'll fall for an eternity without ever reaching the center of it.

Either one sounds terrifying. I remember one scientist saying that initially, the pulling apart of the body would feel like a stretch. But then.. you know. The black hole is a place of infinite mass in a finite volume with large gravitational power, so most assuredly you would be sucked in. But the crazy part is, you wouldn't notice until you saw the light bending passed the horizon.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • Well, once you enter a black hole, I guess in a certain way time stops flowing. You are "falling" towards the center of it, but at the same time light itself is, at the same rate you are, and thus you can not measure the time you spend falling.

I seem to remember an awesome visual simulation of what would the event horizon of a BH look like from the inside of it. Dunno how much theoretical background the thing had, and dunno where in the web it is. But it'd be awesome if things looked like that.

(Then again, since light inside would be bent to head to the center of the BH instead of to your eyes, you wouldn't be able to see it, I guess)

Years
  • You can't just "fall" into a black hole. Time in space is not the same as it is on Earth, so it would be very gradual and we'd probably be dead as a species before a black hole even got to us because it would take light-years for us to see the effects of one after it's discovered.

Now I'm no astronomer here, so feel free to correct me. :P

Happy and at peace. :)
    Years
  • You can't just "fall" into a black hole. Time in space is not the same as it is on Earth, so it would be very gradual and we'd probably be dead as a species before a black hole even got to us because it would take light-years for us to see the effects of one after it's discovered.

Now I'm no astronomer here, so feel free to correct me. :P
    The first part is "correct". Really, its all theoretical, no scientist really "knows" what happens. Through math, one can take a good guess, but that's it.

As for your second part. The author is simply musing as to how it would be in a black hole. This planet will most likely never enter one, but he didn't really mean that.

Lapis

✿ Flower Child ✿
    Years
  • We would probably not notice lol (and then we die) or be dead by the time that happens. Like others have said, it is a gradual thing that takes a long time.

Or we just go into a different dimension or find out we have been living in the Matrix.

Back