• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

English - Sub or Dub?

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
  • This is a pretty simple question. When watching anime what do you prefer, watching the show and reading subtitles in english, or prefer to wait until there's an english release for it so you can understand what they're saying by tongue?

Well it all depends really on the quality of the dubbed over english really. Back when I thought anime was just cartoons when I was a kid (Sailor Moon, Pokemon etc.) I really did like the english dub that was performed. Now I prefer to sit back and watch with subs on because it's just so much easier to watch, because of the greatness in the quality value. The japanese voices have some flair of originality and belonging, while when you dub english over it, and the anime is question is meant to be all about Japan, it sounds weird, like everyone speaks english quite fluently.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    SUB, who like those english dubs anyway, so unlively.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I like the subs just because that's what they came in originally. I can watch dubs and sometimes I do if it's recommended to me, but the original voice actors were picked for a good reason.

Although I do get annoyed that I can't just look away for a few seconds because I can't understand what's being said, I have to pause it every second I want to look away from the screen. xD;

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I prefer subs, but yeah, it does kinda depend on the quality of the dub. I've watched a few titles dubbed, and some of them were pretty great. I watched Death Note dubbed, and well.. it was pretty nice. And Dragonball Z, if it counts. Pokemon too, of course. But overall, I prefer the characters speaking Japanese; originality and whatnot. And I've been pretty used to the characters in Bleach speaking Japanese, so when I watched an episode dubbed in English, it sounded.. well, not so good. XD; That's the easiest example that comes to mind. :B

Infinipede

negima ruined my life
    Years
  • It really doesn't matter in the long run, unless you're looking at a dub of either super-high quality (FLCL) or atrocious quality (Yugioh or most anything by 4kids). If the dub is awful, bad or mediocre I'll watch it subbed. If it's good, I'll watch it dubbed. I really admire the work of voice actors in anime and cartoons, and it's easier to admire something that's being spoken in my langauge, I guess.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    Dub if it's available and it's at least decent, otherwise sub. I don't really feel the need to elaborate any further.

SV

See You Space Cowboy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2022
    I prefer sub. It's more realistic, and the translation is much more accurate.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • Well, both, but I prefer English subs because they keep closer to the script.

Last edited:

~Ryukaa

total nerd
    Years
  • To be honest, I'm fine either way. I love noticing the differences between the two, and sometimes the dubs produced with less effort are quite amusing. Especially 4Kids' dubs. xDD;;
    But yeah, with awesome companies such as Bang Zoom Entertainment, and Funimation, and Viz dubbing out there, I'm perfectly fine with them. Japanese voices usually tend to be great, most of the time, so I'm good there as well. Subtitles don't bother me.

Zet

Years
  • There's quite a few good dubs out these days: Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Speed Grapher and so on. Though I haven't really listened to any english dubs in a long time.

And to answer the question; I prefer subs right now so I don't have to wait until an english release(if there even will be one).

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
  • Both. Dubs can be pretty good, and subs are always nice to hear. I like to listen to both, but more often than not I choose subs just because I'm more used to it.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    I prefer sub. It's more realistic, and the translation is much more accurate.
    Yeeeaaaaah, this is incredibly dependent upon the skills of the translator and their mastery of both Japanese and English.

I go with both, there are good dubs, there are bad dubs, so no reason to write it all off. Fansubs can be...pretty atrocious in their translations (or lack thereof), there are many "translators" that leave Japanese words in their scripts for nonsensical reasons and can easily miss dialect specifications and change the entire tone of a character.

Years
  • I have no problems with subs since I read a lot anyway and I usually like to watch when I'm watching something, not looking away doing something else. I like to hear what the original creative team picked for characters' voices, too.

Katja

Years
  • SUBSSSSSS. Some dubs are horrible...or horribly amazing. (Goldenboy for instance.) Wolf's Rain dub was great. But most animus don't sound so good in english. :/ Besides, subs/raws help me with my Japanese.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    To be quite honest, I'm good with both (though of course, it depends on the anime). More than likely I'll go with the sub of something, especially if it's a latest release or there is no dub of it. However, if the anime is dubbed on say Netflix, I'll lean towards that because I would much rather watch anime on my television than on my computer any day. Also, If I watch the dub before a sub, then the voices don't bother me as much as they would have I watched a sub before the dub.

Years
  • I feel anime doesn't lend it self to dubbing well most of the time, what with all the honorifics shenanigans, dialects, and cultural in-references. They are still fine, though I will stick to using subs because those are what I've been using since forever.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    I feel anime doesn't lend it self to dubbing well most of the time, what with all the honorifics shenanigans, dialects, and cultural in-references.
    Everyone one of those things has an English equivalent and a smart translator and script writer team can make it flow smoothly.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    I don't know? It's not something I keep up with, but there are great people out there like Tony Oliver and Jared Hedges who do quality work and give pointers to new guys coming into the area.

Back