• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Was Gen 1 remade too early?

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    I was just thinking, does anyone else agree than the generation 1 games were remade too early? Had they waited until Gen 4 to remake them I think it would have been much more worthwhile.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    I don't think so, they were important in letting you obtain a lot of Pokemon that weren't available otherwise at that point, especially if you didn't own a Game Cube.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    You obviously either werent living or notice when it was released, LGFR were so cool it has already been sometimes since gen 1 was out.
    Now that game renew almost every year u may feel that way but back then it wasnt the case, i was so excited to see my favourite pokemon in colour and in quality of gameboy adv!

Last edited:

Swithdas

What's a forum and how do I use it again..
    Years
  • There's no doubt FR and LG were great choices. For new people, it gave them the story of how the pokemon games first started. For people who had played Red, Blue, Green and to some extent Yellow, it revisited some wonderful memories of past adventures with updated graphics and a few extra twists!

Years
  • In hindsight, it was a fantastic decision on Nintendo and Game Freak's part to remake the original games for the third gen. Not only were a lot of resources in place for them already to save on time and expenses, but they were an easy sell to both new and old fans alike. Plus, it paved the way for HG/SS and OR/AS, all of which were greatly anticipated by fans.

Outside of the whole business thing though, it would've been nice to see them held off until later, with each remake being a generation or two later than they were (imagine FRLG on the DS, and then being able to explore Johto and Kanto in Gen 6). But, I think younger me would've been bored with only Hoenn, as great as Emerald was.

Years
  • The fact that FireRed was my first Pokemon game and one of my all time favourites explains why I'm glad Generation One got remakes when they did, it was a great introduction to Kanto for the newer fans like myself and was a very enjoyable game.

In terms of the time it was remade, I think Game Freak did this perfectly. After Hoenn, there was no way to get the majority of the older fan's favourite Pokemon from Kanto and consequently there was a great reason to remake Generation One. Not only that, but the fact we got to visit Kanto in Generation Four meant that Gen 1 fans got another throwback.

Years
  • I don't think that the remakes came out too early. At the time the games were released, it was the only way to get a lot of Generation One Pokémon due to the lack of compatibility between the third generation and the first two.

Flower

✿ flower keeper ✿
    Years
  • I personally don't think their release was too early, though it wasn't 10 years after the original games' releases.. would've been nice to see remakes one or two generations though, so the games had more improved graphics as others said, but I love the remakes the way they are. :] The lack of compatibility between the second and third gens was a problem too, many Pok?mon were straight-up unobtainable, so the remakes came out at a good time.

Years
  • Cooltrainer's point makes sense, because the reason why FR/LG were made was because the original 1st and 2nd Gen games were incompatible with the Game Boy Advance so in order to obtain all the Pokemon that were missing from Ruby & Sapphire, they had all of them obtainable in FR/LG, including some Johto Pokemon in the Sevii Islands. More Johto Pokemon would also become catchable in the Safari Zone in Emerald as well.

Years
  • A lot of people are saying that because a lot of the earlier Pokemon weren't available in Ruby/Sapphire, that remaking Gen 1 was a good idea.

So, as a counterargument, what if all 386 Pokemon (at the time) were available in RSE alone? Then would you still be up for a remake, or could it have waited until further down the line?

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Basically the only reason the remakes were made was because people were complaining how it would be impossible to complete the PokéDex. It was never too early back then. In fact, it was a little late.

Back