• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
What is your favorite game from the PMD series?

I personally, honestly cant choose between PMD Explorers and PMD Red. They both were awesome, and the most emotional games I've ever played. But just slightly, I prefer PMD Red rescue team, for being a bit more emotional and sad. It involved both character vanishing and world end at once, also the entire story where we run from everyone is just...deep. Then again, the entire Grovyle story got to me too...ah idk, I probably prefer the PMD red just a bit more, as in 0.000000001x more.
I have yet to play the last one though.

What about you guys?

Years
That would be Explorers of Sky. The actual plot, character developements and relationships in this game blew my mind. It was one of the very few games that made me cry.

Years
Mine is still Explorers of Sky - there's so much to do, a lot of Pokémon to play with from the beginning, and some of the plot elements really blended well. And they had the Special Episodes which tacked on a lot of feels, especially the final one with Dusknoir and Grovyle in the future. As a whole, the game just works.

blue

gucci
Years
Explorers of Sky. This is actually probably my favourite of all the Pokemon spin-offs, not just Mystery Dungeon. The storyline throughout is totally gripping, the soundtrack is beautiful at times and the characters are so memorable. The scene with Grovyle and Dusknoir actually reduced me to tears, which says a lot for a game. So yeah, hands down my favourite of the Mystery Dungeon series.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
Years
As someone who could spawn millions of fanfic ideas out of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, I have to say that this is my favorite spin off series out of the bunch.

My personal favorite has got to be the Explorers series, because the story is well thoughout and enticing. Sure, PMD Rescue Team has a great story, but Explorers involves a lot of plot twists and betrayal, where once we know as foes turns out to be our partners all along. Not to mention all the tearful moments.

Especially Explorers of Sky, where we get to unlock episodes and experience the story in a different way. From Bidoof's resolve to become an explorer, to Guildmaster Wigglytuff's first days as an explorer, to what happened after the end in the future. This is why I love PMD so much, it has that dark and beautiful story to offer.

Also, I heard that Gates to Infinity's story isn't really good, but I haven't played it so idk.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
Well, while Red Rescue Team is getting pretty deep and emotional, I haven't yet finished it, so I can't say on that one. I haven't played Explorers of Sky except a little bit, but I have finished Explorers of Darkness multiple times and I just love the main and post games! I don't usually cry, but this game, sheesh.... And then for Gates To Infinity, while I loved the graphics, characters and storyline, the post game felt empty to me, so I guess I'll go with EoD!

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
Years
My favorite is Explorers of Sky, hands down. It has a beautiful plot, engaging gameplay, and most of all, a really large postgame. I could go on writing an essay about how great Explorers of Sky is, but I'm sure most people get the point, haha.

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
Years
Am I the only person who Just Gates to Infinity. Maybe i am, as I didn't really play other Mystery dungeon games. I loved it mostly because of the 3D. It looked just so good compared to other pixelated games. I'm still stuck in the last level, which is very hard to complete. And plus, it's way easier than other games, which is understandable as kids are mostly playing the game. I just love the game.

Years
I've only played Rescue and Explorers, but Explorers is by far the better game. Rescue had a lot of potential, it just had a lot of teething troubles like Friend Areas, the bag limit and an unbalanced battle system. Explorers fixed all of these problems, had numerous challenging dungeons which helped its status as the hardest Pokemon game and it has one of the greatest gaming soundtracks of all time.

Years
  • Age 29
  • home
  • Seen Aug 16, 2023
I've only played Rescue and Explorers, but Explorers is by far the better game. Rescue had a lot of potential, it just had a lot of teething troubles like Friend Areas, the bag limit and an unbalanced battle system. Explorers fixed all of these problems, had numerous challenging dungeons which helped its status as the hardest Pokemon game and it has one of the greatest gaming soundtracks of all time.

i agree that Explorers is the better game in the end, but i disagree with the points you name as 'teething troubles'. i think there is something to say for both games in terms of these features, really.
admittedly in Explorers the Chimecho service was much easier to use than Friend Areas were in Rescue, but i felt much more hampered by the storage limit in Explorers than i did by the bag limit in Rescue. also i thought the whole system with the juices and recycling was more confusing than it was worth... and i'm not sure what was unbalanced about the battle system either. i do remember getting so annoyed with the fact that one Pokémon using Agility immediately allowed all allied (or enemy...) pokémon to move twice per turn though. especially in monster houses, that was terrible D: but i think that was still present in Explorers, too...

uh, regardless, tl;dr - i haven't played Gates to Infinity, but Explorers and Rescue were close. Explorers wins out in the end though, mainly for the story c:

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Definitely Explorers of Sky. Its features were rather top-notch, if you ask me, and graphics were pleasing to the eye, too. On top of this, its story-line also seemed to have been engaging to me, which had helped grow my likeness towards this game even more far. As for second--although I haven't played this one as of yet, but have watched various play-throughs, all of which were entertaining to view--I would say it'd have to be Gates to Infinity.

BumpsnStumps

A Lonely Stump
Years
Explorers of Sky for me. While Explorers of Darkness was my first PMD game, Sky is just an improved version. More Pokemon to be or for your partner to be, I liked the story and like alot of people, cried when Grovyle sacrificed himself and at the end of the game, after defeating Primal Dialga, I felt enormous satisfaction.

Gates to Infinity was dumbed down for younger audiences. I hated that you and your partner can only choose from 4 Pokemon, and they removed hunger, a feature I liked very much.

Never played Red/Blue Rescue Team.

Years
i agree that Explorers is the better game in the end, but i disagree with the points you name as 'teething troubles'. i think there is something to say for both games in terms of these features, really.
admittedly in Explorers the Chimecho service was much easier to use than Friend Areas were in Rescue, but i felt much more hampered by the storage limit in Explorers than i did by the bag limit in Rescue. also i thought the whole system with the juices and recycling was more confusing than it was worth... and i'm not sure what was unbalanced about the battle system either. i do remember getting so annoyed with the fact that one Pokémon using Agility immediately allowed all allied (or enemy...) pokémon to move twice per turn though. especially in monster houses, that was terrible D: but i think that was still present in Explorers, too...

uh, regardless, tl;dr - i haven't played Gates to Infinity, but Explorers and Rescue were close. Explorers wins out in the end though, mainly for the story c:

I'll admit that I prefer the unlimited storage in Rescue, but I felt that the 20 item limit was much more frustrating. At least with the storage limit in Explorers you can expand it by updating your rank, something you'd want to do anyway in order to gain levels. I never found the Recycle system frustrating, if anything, it allows you to get rid of any items you don't need in your storage.

In terms of the unbalanced battle system in Rescue; multi-hit moves like Bullet Seed were far too broken, Attract will hit anyone as there are no genders and Pokemon such as the starters and Mantine had better stats than the legendaries. In case you haven't noticed, I'm not like a lot of other players who just plough through the game to view the story.

Years
I played Red rescue, which was so great but felt like it ended too quick.
Explorers of Darkness, now that was one heck of a game, and the story was great.

Gates to Infinity has to be my number 1, even though it felt kinda too easy without Hunger mechanics. But the story was so emotional, and so touching. I can't wait for a 6th generation PMD game because I am surely going to play as my favorite Kalos starter, Chespin. I really hope there are more options to choose from than GtI though. You almost always had some sort of major weakness (you and your chosen partner) in major parts of the game.

Nakala Pri

Am I the only person who Just Gates to Infinity. Maybe i am, as I didn't really play other Mystery dungeon games. I loved it mostly because of the 3D. It looked just so good compared to other pixelated games. I'm still stuck in the last level, which is very hard to complete. And plus, it's way easier than other games, which is understandable as kids are mostly playing the game. I just love the game.

HELL YEAH!!!!!!!

The 3D was AMAZING! The plot was FASCINATING! The obtainable Pokemon were RADICOOL! And you could be a DINO DRAGON

EPIC!!

I completed the game a few months ago but I'm still playing. >:^D

HERE IS AN AWESOME GATES TO INFINITY SPOILER/HINT FOR THOSE WHO HAVE COMPLETED THE GAME
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 29
  • home
  • Seen Aug 16, 2023
I'll admit that I prefer the unlimited storage in Rescue, but I felt that the 20 item limit was much more frustrating. At least with the storage limit in Explorers you can expand it by updating your rank, something you'd want to do anyway in order to gain levels. I never found the Recycle system frustrating, if anything, it allows you to get rid of any items you don't need in your storage.

In terms of the unbalanced battle system in Rescue; multi-hit moves like Bullet Seed were far too broken, Attract will hit anyone as there are no genders and Pokemon such as the starters and Mantine had better stats than the legendaries. In case you haven't noticed, I'm not like a lot of other players who just plough through the game to view the story.

well, it's not like i just ploughed through the game either... i just didn't encounter the problems so much apparently - particularly Attract, i don't think i've ever been hit by one, haha. the multi-hit moves were definitely an issue though, yeah!
but isn't it kind of necessary for the starters to have better stats than the legendaries? how else would you be able to beat them without having to grind for a massive level difference? ( ´ ▽ ` )ゞ

i don't know, i just didn't like the recycle system myself. i thought it was a lot of work just to trade items i didn't need for more items i didn't need. i'd have preferred just selling them and buying the items i wanted, but since the sell price for items was incredibly low, that was really not an option either... i have to say the extra dungeons you unlocked through using it were cool, though c:

Years
Never said you just ploughed through the game, I was saying that a lot of other players did. In terms of Attract, I was mainly referring to how it made bosses too easy when you used it. The Recycle Shop can give you good items like Oran Berries, Max Elixirs and certain TMs most of the time.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Explorers of Sky is my favorite Mystery Dungeon game; it expands on the characters of Time and Darkness and has more features compared to them.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
Years
Red Rescue Team shall always me my favourite. Yeah, it's one of the oldest Mystery Dungeon games, but playing it on GBA was really fun! And I liked the little exchanges that went down between you and bosses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back