• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Modifications

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
  • Or mods, if you prefer! Do you use them? And if so, to what degree? Just a few to make the game look nicer, or do you overhaul the game beyond recognition? What games do you mod?

I've been modding New Vegas, and have for some time enjoyed heavily modded Minecraft. I've also played a good number of Half-Life and Doom mods. I gotta say, it's a lot of fun taking all the pieces that people have made and putting them together in a way that makes the game feel completely new! I love adding 10, 20, 100 mods to my games. I enjoy visual enhancement, but new weapons, locations and gameplay are what I like to explore the most.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • Do I use mods? Is that a even a valid question, concerning we have an entire section dedicated to modding (or hacking, if you prefer) Pokemon games?

Anywho, yeah. I have a lot of different mods for Minecraft like Chococraft, Mystcraft, Beta Terrain Generator, and occasionally Single Player Commands for Far Lands exploration. I don't have any mods for other games yet, since I don't really have any other games that use mods (besides some Mario games,) but if I install them they'll probably get modded too.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    I very much enjoy mods. Mods can add things as simple as texture changes, all the way through to being almost a new game entirely.

I have also made mods in the past, like for some Wii Mario games. I'd like to mod PC games as well. It's interesting to be able to create new content, or something the developer never intended.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    The only games I've ever really modded at all were Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I've had performance or texture mods here and there for other games, but that was it. I guess Sims 3, too, but those were just extra clothes and careers, and some to disable features that took away from my immersion (such as the ability to purchase a steak from the convenience of your refrigerator).

Fallout 3 was overhauled nearly to the point of unrecognizable.

• I had a mod to recruit any NPC as a backpack companion
    • a cookbook mod (I think it was basically just the Survival skill from NV, with food/water needs)
    • the Real-Time Settler mod (RTS, to force NPCs to build you a fortress)
    • a Zombie Apocalypse mod
    • And some misc. weapons and armor.
    I spent a day and a half turning it into a survival/horror game. :v

Fallout 3 took too many efforts, so New Vegas basically just has a new body type, HD skin/face textures with a ton of hair and eye choices, and cute clothes. She's adorable. :3
    Oh, and some mod that gave me a deathclaw gauntlet to start with. Best weapon from Fallout 3.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Love 'em.

That's pretty much all I can say on the matter without sounding like a broken record. I've posted this before, but this quote from a post I made some time back on mods pretty much sums it up.

You guys know my thoughts on Skyrim, right? I've mentioned them before, and if you don't...well, it doesn't really matter.

Point is, I can't play Skyrim without mods and have fun. Bought it at launch and...well, let's just say the mods were a godsend. For this specific game, I have several dozens of mods, probably over a hundred, and they make the game fun in my case and better in others. Requiem's easily my favorite and has had the largest impact on my experience.

But even other than that, I love the hell out of mods, and on pretty much any game. Left 4 Dead, Garry's Mod, The Sims, Super Smash Bros, Crypt of the Necrodancer- I could go on. Because regardless of whether you're making the mod or not, by adding them to your game, you're personalizing the experience and fitting it to you, ultimately making the game more fun.

Sure, guns weren't meant to be chickens, but devs don't see a problem with mods because, despite not necessarily being their original vision (except when mods actually bring dev intended features or hidden characters), the player gets more out of the experience with them and, as a result, it's actually better for the developers, both financially and otherwise.

In my opinion, I don't really think that much of mods, because they kind of ruin the original experience

As one who plays mods avidly, I don't think this is necessarily true- rarely is it. Ruin is a strong word here, and it's not often that mods are made in mean-spirits towards a game's design or those developing it. Heck, a lot of mods are really simple. For the Sims...let's say, the Sims 3, there are mods that simply get rid of the opening logo, make switching between households faster, or just make the game more stable- and these are some of the most popular mods.

Going to Minecraft, Notch even fully sanctions mods because they complement the game's design and make for a more personal experience. Even going to Skyrim, there are a lot of mods that simply build on what the game does or wanted to do during development. Even disregarding those and going to more eccentric mods, I see no problem with Reimu Hakurei and Master Chief running around Kokiri Village fighting hordes of terminators in Left 4 Dead 2. The experience hasn't been ruined, I'm still playing Left 4 Dead 2, but if it's difficult for me to go back after playing a modded game then that means I'm probably doing something right- it means I'm having fun, and that's the name of the game, isn't it?

Yukari

Mods are awesome. I rarely ever use mods that change too much, usually ones that boost performance or improve the game in some way. I also make mods for games sometimes.

Back