• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I'm Confused about Megas...

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2017
    Ok so I've noticed that the regular megas in japan have english on them. the words that go across them i mean. But the secret rares have japanese on them. (i'm talking about the first x and y series because now the megas are secret rares from falshfire and on) and in america, the cards all have japanese on them. Why is that? Why do they expect us to know what it says if we cant read japanese? i have to look up the regular japanese one just to see what the english is on it because in america we only have japanese on them.

Years
  • Well, that was simply a design choice on TPCI's part with regards to using Japanese on the English cards, and it's kind of along the lines of the Keep it Foreign trope that they opted for this, since it was foreign for the original, non-secret rare Megas in Japan. They don't expect you to be able to read it. All it really says anyway, iirc, is the name of the card's signature move/ability in Japanese.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2017
    Well, that was simply a design choice on TPCI's part with regards to using Japanese on the English cards, and it's kind of along the lines of the Keep it Foreign trope that they opted for this, since it was foreign for the original, non-secret rare Megas in Japan. They don't expect you to be able to read it. All it really says anyway, iirc, is the name of the card's signature move/ability in Japanese.

ya but not everyone knows that. (i literally just figured that out *facepalm*) i think they should put the english on the card anyways because its a freakin english card not japanese

Years
  • It kinda sucks that I wouldn't be able to use it if I got one, since I couldn't read it. But it's probably more for collecting anyways.

Years
  • It kinda sucks that I wouldn't be able to use it if I got one, since I couldn't read it. But it's probably more for collecting anyways.

Oshawottlover13 is talking about the text on the picture, not the attack text itself, which is still in English. For example, look at M Blastoise EX here:

MBlastoiseEXXY30.jpg

Its attack text is in English but it has got Japanese on the picture.

ya but not everyone knows that. (i literally just figured that out *facepalm*) i think they should put the english on the card anyways because its a freakin english card not japanese

Personally, I don't care either way, but they're just abiding by the "Keep it Foreign" trope I mentioned. There'd by some hardcore fans who'd be raging about using the English names.

Really, they probably just wanted it in as an "easter egg" of sorts for players who can actually read Japanese.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2017
    i dont know anyone who can read japanese. oh well. it just always confused me especially since i cant read the japenese. but thanks anyways

Years
  • Oshawottlover13 is talking about the text on the picture, not the attack text itself, which is still in English. For example, look at M Blastoise EX here:

MBlastoiseEXXY30.jpg

Its attack text is in English but it has got Japanese on the picture.

oh. I've only seen the full Japanese when I've looked the cards up. X3 my bad

Back