• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I am my own dream

Margaery Tyrell

Growing Strong
Years
  • What do you think of your body? Do you like the way you look? Why or why not? Do you think we learn to think of our appearance negatively from others, or is it instinctual?

The reason I'm asking is because I've recently gotten out of a funk with my own appearance and how I view myself - so, to answer my own questions:

I love my body, and I wouldn't want to forcibly change anything about it. I'd like to be healthier and become stronger out of kindness to myself, because wanting to change isn't necessarily a sign of dissatisfaction, or so I think.

I also definitely think that body negativity is learned from outside sources, simply because for one it doesn't make sense that so many people harbor self hatred or dislike towards their appearance from themselves imo - I mean, we tell people what they "should really look like" all the time through media, and even comments we give others.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I'm one of those people who don't really like my body. I'm not overly heavy, but I'm still considered obese. I'm also on the border for getting diabetes, which if I do will end up probably killing me because of my extreme fear of needles. :/ I have a problem with commitment, so losing weight isn't something that comes easily to me. It's even worse when I'm often trapped in a world of routine as well. ><

Anyway, I don't like my body. Simple as that. Because of this, I don't know if I can answer anything on negative body images either.

polymorphism

[SPAN="color: #91D1FF; font-family: Noto Serif JP;
    Years
  • I could stand to weigh less, be about 3 inches taller, more muscular and have less freckles.

All that said really only the weight bothers me. I've actually been losing weight so...

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I could stand to weigh less, be about 3 inches taller, more muscular and have less freckles.

All that said really only the weight bothers me. I've actually been losing weight so...
    You look really nice and your freckles are amazing jsyk

I'm okay with my looks but I guess I have these small things bothering me. My face is slightly unsymmetric, my butt has always been too big, my natural hair color is boring, i'm hella short etc. I accept myself as I am though, for the mostpart.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I have blue hair, what more could I need?

I think I look fine, besides the fact that my forehead often looks way to big in pictures.

Crystal Berry

[span="text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.12); font
    Years
  • I think I look pretty good overall, but if I could lose a couple of pounds I would. I'm not chubby but I'm not slender either.

Sanguine

malignant narcissist
    Years
  • I used to (and kinda still do) hate my body - I was taller than all of the girls I knew, I hadn't really filled out at all during my teenage years, my forehead is massive, my nose is weird and has freckles on it etc. etc.

The negativity that I had towards my body definitely came from other people and their comments, I doubt that I'd have had a reason to think that there was anything wrong with me otherwise.

Years
  • As of this very moment, not really my illness has left me even more twig-like that normal, I have next to no fat or muscle and my hair is out of control lol.

When I was healthy though I was pretty alright with my appearance. I've never been gorgeous but I wasn't bad looking either and I was decently toned etc. In general I'm alright with my body, I would just like it to not be falling apart at the moment.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    As of this very moment, not really my illness has left me even more twig-like that normal

This about sums up my situation. My health has been kinda iffy the past few months and I've had a hard time keeping on weight. Over the summer I worked to gain around 5-7 lbs and lost it all in a snap. Stomach woes suck.

I'm 5'7 and at times I teeter on the brink of being underweight. I know I look terribly skinny and it makes me so self-conscious. I feel like I look terrible in most clothes now. Rawr.

polymorphism

[SPAN="color: #91D1FF; font-family: Noto Serif JP;
    Years
  • You look really nice and your freckles are amazing jsyk

I'm okay with my looks but I guess I have these small things bothering me. My face is slightly unsymmetric, my butt has always been too big, my natural hair color is boring, i'm hella short etc. I accept myself as I am though, for the mostpart.

Thank you much Rika.

Also your face is asymmetric? I've never noticed guess you're just too good looking to tell. Your hair color isn't boring either and you have it at a great length! Short is cute anyway. Come on man you look great! :)

Years
  • My actions are much more important than my appearance when I consider personal identity. While physical visuals may be a manifestation of my actions, it is not these visuals directly that I take pride in.

There are people who might judge me based on my appearance alone, but I couldn't care less about the opinions of these closed-minded stereotypes. If they want to overthink the situation, that's their problem, not mine.

Regardless, good luck finding your aesthetic satisfaction.

Years
  • I've mostly accepted my appearance, but I wouldn't say I'm happy about it. That's probably partly due to all the media body image stuff and also partly because of my health. When I feel tired I feel ugly. But if I exercise I'll often, surprisingly, look at myself and go "hey, not bad."

Years
  • I think about the only thing that needs changing is my weight. I know I need to work on it but I either forget to or just don't. I haven't had anyone insult my appearance though.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • At a young age of i think 13 years old, i was standing at around only 5 foot 4 ish or something, and i was already weighting at over 200 pounds and having an almost size 40 waistline. I used to be that superoverweight, and i had a lot of cases where i was made fun out of it because the other kids where slimmer and slickier. I was quite fat shamed to the point where i didn't want to take off my shirt whenever there was a family trip in the beach because i felt horrible looking at the manboobs. Then of course, being superoverweight didn't only come with the fat-shaming, i was also starting to get some serious health concerns.

What mostly motivated me to do a serious change was the health and self concerns. Of course, losing all that weight also came with people no longer making fun of me, but i felt more fulfilled knowing that i prevented a health concern that could forever cripple the sh*t out of me.

Today, at an unspecified age, (don't worry, I'm just being a random young adult), I'm still making some perfections. Losing and gaining weight for the wrong reasons here and there. Right now I'm at a pretty sizable but in a good way.

Of course, just to blow off some steam, what i really hate is that whenever people do see you again, the first thing that they will always mention is your damn weight. "Oh wow, you gained some pounds!" and its always the first damn thing that they will effin say because here in our country, a 3rd effin developing country, whenever people do gain weight, they will always say you had so much to eat. They never suspect that one may have underwent like manic depressions or abusive drug use or whatever. Its a really AIDS inducing epidemic. I remember actually yelling at a friend for pointing out that i got fat (or a lil out of shape) when we saw each other after quite a while. I felt so enraged. I actually wanted to throw a foreign object at him for doing that. Its not cool. because obviously that same person never knew how it felt like to be obese, nor ever feeling what manic depression felt like. Obviously i blocked the person out of my contact list for being a dunghole. Oh he didn't mean it he tried to reason out, but i cackjabbed him hard enough to know that he was being so inconsiderate and being a typical Pinoy. While i may not be proud of saying this, but I've been given the whole "hey you gained weight" remark by a couple of people, even coming from some close friends and I told them no excuses but I still cockslapped them with a piece of my mind, telling them that its not cool to just simply point that out straight up.

They ask me, why did i acted so angry. I simply told them that none of them knew how it was like being so freakishly obese, then losing all of it, then gaining some of it back, then fighting it with good progress but not being as well shaped as before. They don't understand that people who were overweight, or even freakishly obese like how I was are quite sensitive about our own bodies. We hate being pointed out that we got a lil out of shape especially if its the first thing that people will say. We are aware of our own stances. We don't need people telling us that. That's why we fill ourselves with rage and energy.

Rage. That will make me wear St. Anger round my neck and start ripping and tearing. That's how i stay in shape. Other than health, body, and obviously appearance concerns, its a way for helping me calm down. Calming down with the power of rage. Now that's a thing now ;)

Regarding appearance though other than weight, well yeah i remember the girls preferring the lighter and whiter looking guys. But as preferences change, so does the opposite sex's preferences on looks and appearance. At least I'm glad that if girls are looking for some decent physical attributes, they are looking at more of the whole this time and not just the face and skin color. At least that's how its working out in our country. Dunno about the rest of the world though.

Last edited:

KetsuekiR

Ridiculously unsure
    Years
  • I'm terribly underweight (I have a BMI of like 17) and riddled with acne but hey, whatchagunnado huh? I mean, I'll try to eat better once I'm done with my exams and put on some weight but that's really all I can do at this point.

I've had times where I've been really down and depressed about myself and my body, but the best cure for that, I think, is always just being with great friends. I've got a few amazing ones who I know love me for who I am and I'm pretty content with that as is. c:

Back