• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Need help deciding on a team/improvements

Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2014
    OK so i just started Pearl a couple of days ago, i'm currently training to get my pokemon to the same level as 3rd Gym's trainers, i'm wondering how i could improve my team as i've never played 4th Gen before (i'm a Gen I guy, Gen II and III i had a rough idea about a team)

Current Team (Names and types)

In no order:

Gastly - Ghost - Lv 22
    Luxio - Electric - Lv 24
    Shellos - Ground/Water - Lv 24
    Staravia - Flying - Lv 24
    Monferno - Fight/Fire - Lv 25
    Kadabra - Physic - Lv 23

If you guys were to suggest some improvements that would be greatly appreciated, note this team doesn't have to beat the Elite Four just a general team, if it happens to beat the Elite Four, that's great

derv1205

Trade/Battle/Breed/Clone (X,B2,D)
    Years
  • Hey!
    Gastly - Ghost - Lv 22
    Luxio - Electric - Lv 24
    Kadabra - Physic - Lv 23

I think you have a pretty balanced team so far. Good coverage. Similar to my team I used to have in Diamond. By the end, my team was Infernape, Staraptor, Luxray, Bibarel (or Floatzel, kept switching both), Roselia.
    The 3rd gym if I recall well is Figthing I think. So Psychic and Flying should be a lot of good there. The gym after that is water type so Luxray will come in handy. Although, being your only Electric pokemon you should be careful. Although, I think that 4th gym leader has a Quagsire which is inmune to Electric. So you may want to get a Grass type. Or teach gastly either Giga Drain or Energy Ball which are TMs that it can learn. Don't remember at what point in the game you can get them though. The rest of the gyms shouldn't be too hard. Use Gastly (maybe Haunter by then) for the ghost type gym. Ghost is weak to ghost and dark. The other gyms you should have type advantage with your pokemon.
    Just remember to train them all and spend time battling trainers, wild pokemon. I use to spend hours training and training haha. Some people just want to finish the game fast so they just go for it with one or two pokemon.
    Also make sure you have a balanced moveset on all of them just in case. It's always good to have good coverage with every pokemon. :)

Hope this helped! :)

Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2014
    Hey!
    Gastly - Ghost - Lv 22
    Luxio - Electric - Lv 24
    Kadabra - Physic - Lv 23

I think you have a pretty balanced team so far. Good coverage. Similar to my team I used to have in Diamond. By the end, my team was Infernape, Staraptor, Luxray, Bibarel (or Floatzel, kept switching both), Roselia.
    The 3rd gym if I recall well is Figthing I think. So Psychic and Flying should be a lot of good there. The gym after that is water type so Luxray will come in handy. Although, being your only Electric pokemon you should be careful. Although, I think that 4th gym leader has a Quagsire which is inmune to Electric. So you may want to get a Grass type. Or teach gastly either Giga Drain or Energy Ball which are TMs that it can learn. Don't remember at what point in the game you can get them though. The rest of the gyms shouldn't be too hard. Use Gastly (maybe Haunter by then) for the ghost type gym. Ghost is weak to ghost and dark. The other gyms you should have type advantage with your pokemon.
    Just remember to train them all and spend time battling trainers, wild pokemon. I use to spend hours training and training haha. Some people just want to finish the game fast so they just go for it with one or two pokemon.
    Also make sure you have a balanced moveset on all of them just in case. It's always good to have good coverage with every pokemon. :)

Hope this helped! :)

Thanks i've now swapped out Gastly for Rosila, are there any other electric types which have good electric attacks (Like Pikachu in Gen 1 could learn Thunderstock + Thunder Bolt AND Thunder)

derv1205

Trade/Battle/Breed/Clone (X,B2,D)
    Years
  • Uhmm. There might be. I like Luxray though. Spark is not a bad move and then it learns Thunder Fang and Discharge which are also really good attacks. Besides you have the dark type moves like Crunch. Luxray can learn Thunder by using the TM. And it's a fast pokemon. Girafarig also learns good electric attacks using TMs, plus you have the psychic typing and moves.

Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2014
    Uhmm. There might be. I like Luxray though. Spark is not a bad move and then it learns Thunder Fang and Discharge which are also really good attacks. Besides you have the dark type moves like Crunch. Luxray can learn Thunder by using the TM. And it's a fast pokemon. Girafarig also learns good electric attacks using TMs, plus you have the psychic typing and moves.

I'll prob keep him de-evolved until discharge has been learn he'll learn it faster then

Back