• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gintama

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
  • Naah, for people who aren't comfortable watching long shows, Lilith's method is perfect. Hell, I streamlined it further and had her skip even more episodes. She later went back and watched them all. Gintama is the only anime, I feel, where the enjoyment increases if you watch it out of order.

Shadowraze

ur mum
    Years
  • Good good. If you've seen all of the episodes indicated by Watch, you've seen 89 episodes. That's easy to accomplish. 8D If you watched all of the episodes indicated by Should watch, you watched 105 episodes. You're also ready to see the second Gintama movie.

Lel, I watched the second movie after watching 10 episodes and I still find it extremely awesome. :)

Also I prefer watching the series in order I don't really want to miss any fun of it. :D

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    Well, this was my first 'long' show, my previous longest series was the Inuzama Eleven series. And I certainly enjoyed it once I past 10 episodes. Maybe its just me, and partly because I have too much time in my hands.

derozio

Years
  • It varies from person to person, honestly. A guy I know is following sister Lilith's guide. And he's really liking it. And says he prefers this method over the direct one. :v

Anyway, sales for gintama have always been great. When are we getting the next season, I wonder? ;;

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • What makes the relationships in Gintama so unique?

This blurb was a good read. I agree with the parts:
    I think a strong part of Gintama's message is trying to show us how damaged all of these characters are yet they can still help each other by using each others back to build themselves up from nothing, to live a good life and live it for what they want to live it for. Make no mistake, every character in this show has had some serious damaging at some point and that is crucial to the characters in Gintama.

Another point is that nobody will ever ask for help, even when they desperately need it. This is not the characters being 'cool' nor arrogant, this is because it is unnecessary. An example is during the Yoshiwara in flames arc, although the characters had not known each other for that long they all understood what needed to be done and did it.

This is why I appreciate that character and relationships in Gintama so much. They don't need to spurt out their feeling and become an emotion mess to make the viewer sympathise and feel sad for the character.

Indeed, I wouldn't have so rapidly grown attached to the series if I didn't watch the serious arcs as soon as possible. It provided insight as to why Gin formed the Yorozuya in the first place and why he goes to such lengths to save strangers / his clients. I'm rewatching some of the earlier episodes and viewing the details from a new perspective every time too.

It varies from person to person, honestly. A guy I know is following sister Lilith's guide. And he's really liking it. And says he prefers this method over the direct one. :v

Anyway, sales for gintama have always been great. When are we getting the next season, I wonder? ;;
    Around tumblr, I saw a tease last year that here Gintama will be back in 2014, but then the user recently confirmed that yes, but in the form of merchandise. ;-;
    TROLLS

I have been keeping up with the manga, though. This week's is setting up a hilarious arc. Love potions. Anyone following it? :D

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    Been wanting to read the manga, but didn't have much time recently and been thinking whether should I start from the beginning or should I just continue where the story left off. Heard that they skipped quite a few arcs and the first popularity poll chart (wonder there's arc for that).

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Skipping Gintama episodes is ♥♥♥♥ing stupid. If you don't have loads of time then it will just take longer. Who cares?

Phazon Elemental

roving snob
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2021
    I just finished the Shinsengumi Crisis arc, and so far, this might be the best thing in the entire series. But, then again, that's still only about half of the original series, I still have Gintama' and everything else to go through, too.

derozio

Years
  • Yes, I heard that too. That the anime skipped over comedy arcs to get to the Kintama, Courtesan and Obi-wan arcs asap. Idk if it is true. Will have to ask sister Lilith :v

and @lappy - I know it seems kinda stupid but, you know, look at it this way - you watch the serious ♥♥♥♥ first. You understand these goofs have gone through serious trouble in life and are damaged souls. THEN you watch the episodes where there's nothing but the yorozuya trio fighting over a crab and the like. If you do that, I believe you can enjoy it much more. Because by that time you'd have known the characters and would appreciate them more for being so damn cheerful and acting so goofy and all even though they've had a ♥♥♥♥♥♥ past. Being able to do that requires strength which is definitely a thing most viewers appreciate. And, if a person watches it for the first time, he just won't really look into it or think about all those things. Hence, only in Gintama's case do I find episode/arc jumping acceptable. Watch plot related/character intro arcs/episodes first. And then the rest later.

Also, @Phason - you have some AMAZING arcs coming up. Sit tight. :3 Those arcs blow Shinsengumi Crisis outta the water, imo.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Just because you delete them it doesn't make them not true.

Anyway, back to my original point. I won't include the vicious bullying this time.

I know it seems kinda stupid but, you know, look at it this way - you watch the serious ♥♥♥♥ first. You understand these goofs have gone through serious trouble in life and are damaged souls. THEN you watch the episodes where there's nothing but the yorozuya trio fighting over a crab and the like. If you do that, I believe you can enjoy it much more. Because by that time you'd have known the characters and would appreciate them more for being so damn cheerful and acting so goofy and all even though they've had a ♥♥♥♥♥♥ past. Being able to do that requires strength which is definitely a thing most viewers appreciate. And, if a person watches it for the first time, he just won't really look into it or think about all those things. Hence, only in Gintama's case do I find episode/arc jumping acceptable. Watch plot related/character intro arcs/episodes first. And then the rest later.

People that can't enjoy Gintama for silly comedy and need action and DRAMA should look elsewhere. Sorachi wrote the series in a certain order and in manga the mangaka is God. Going against God's will is wrong. So basically if you feel the need to follow that guide then go and watch something more tailored to people like you, I'd suggest Fairy Tail or Sword Art Online.

TwilightBlade

Years
  • Been wanting to read the manga, but didn't have much time recently and been thinking whether should I start from the beginning or should I just continue where the story left off. Heard that they skipped quite a few arcs and the first popularity poll chart (wonder there's arc for that).
    The Beam Saber arc ends with chapter 410. The last episode where Sadaharu finds a puppy is actually chapters 401-402. Several chapters are animated out of order, such as the one where Matsudaira tries to sabotage his daughter's date. Although the anime is a great adaptation, it makes some changes or leaves out jokes. In Sacchan's introduction episode, the manga doesn't mention her S&M tendencies. In the Courtesan of a Nation arc where Gin meets Lady Suzuran, he jokes about having a foursome with her, Hinowa, and Tsukuyo in the manga.

There are more differences between the manga and anime here: http://forums.yorozuyasoul.com/index.php?topic=531.0

Ideally, you should pick up with 411, which features a short chapter with the princess.

They skipped animating Tama and Yamazaki's meet in 384-385, so be sure to read that one before moving forward to 412, the Tama Confessional arc. I believe that is the only one skipped.

Realize that although time passes and seasons change, the characters are stuck at the ages they are introduced. Shinpachi mentions he is 16 in chapter 60s (Umibozu's arc) and in chapter 434 (when they shop for winter clothes). The anime slightly reorders episodes. Imo you technically can watch many of the episodes in whichever order.

The intended order is fine though. There is a persistent theme that Gintama shines on occasion like silver, and not every episode is going to be over-the-top dramatic & action-packed. People shouldn't expect that, and the budget wouldn't be able to afford that anyway.

derozio

Years
  • Tell me a case where you agree with someone, laptrap. Plis.

Anyway, anyone ship any characters here? I've seen some people ship some weird people XD best shipping is Gin X Madao, tho. Totally the otp of the show.

TwilightBlade

Years
  • Refrain from posting insults and sass.

I am sort of on board with shipping characters. Sougo x Kagura is popular, but I consider it one-sided, haha. I can't imagine Kagura being seen with anyone, and the same for Gintoki (hooking up with violent women like Tsukuyo and Otae). Though, Gin x Madao is hilarious.

Anyway, Kagura breaks the 4th wall and tells the audience she thinks Sougo likes her at the end of the episode 27. I truly believe Sougo has a thing for Kagura, as he eggs her on so much. He is usually a deadpan snarker and has a bored reaction to anything work-related, yet takes every chance to annoy Kagura since the flower-viewing episode. His personality changes when he is around her to the point where he almost becomes masochistic. There are several instances where he is hit and he doesn't retaliate. He also protects her in his own crazy way (Yagyuu arc, Rokkaku arc, Timeskip arc). There's a page dedicated to all of their interactions in the anime and other media here.

A bit of trivia: Sougo has only apologized to two girls, his sister and Kagura. In episode 237 during the skiing arc, he says, "sumanakatta, china-girl" when he realized just how wrong it was to get the girls to stand near the Shogun (poor Shogun!). It is a term used between a boss to his staff member, a teacher to his students, a man to his woman/girlfriend/wife, a father to his children, etc. It is generally used by superiors to subordinates and also between lovers. Basically, men who are in a higher position use the phrase. They sincerely confess what they did and beg forgiveness. It reflects the severity of the offense and the level of responsibility the user is taking.
    References:
    https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130414075623AAXcClA
    http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+76236

The recent chapters that aren't animated have several shipteases between 'em.
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Isn't this the Anime that broken all rules of copyright ?
    Was there any Death note or Pokemon parody ??

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    Isn't this the Anime that broken all rules of copyright ?
    Was there any Death note or Pokemon parody ??

I don't think there was any Pokemon parody, but Death Note's being parodied a lot in Gintama.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Gintama only chooses good anime.

I would really to ask what is a ''Good anime'' Because all the anime I heard to be good doesn't make to Top 10 list of Japanese Animation rating.
    Anyway , Can anyone make a list of every Anime that Gintama copied !!
    I think Dragon Ball , Bleach , Naruto , Death Note .

derozio

Years
  • Pokemon is popular among kids. Popular doesn't always mean good. Anyway, countless references. I remember Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Dragon Ball Z, Laputa, that anime with the Heidi girl (i think the anime is called heidi??), Death Note and...a lot of ones I don't remember haha. There's also a whole arc dedicated to games like monster hunter and dragon quest parodies.

There's Gundam and Captain Harlock too!

Oh, and interesting read, sister Lilith! I totally agree. Sougo does seem to act differently around her. He isn't his usual self. I've noticed that too.

Edit: Remembered more - it parodied pretty cure series and neon genesis evangelion as well.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Gintama had a lot of DBZ references and even managed to put references to their own series, calling it Gintaman. If I recall correctly, they even had references to Detective Conan and Fullmetal Alchemist. Though I must admit, it has been quite some time since I watched the older episodes.

Maybe when I find the time I should rewatch the whole series.

Back