• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Unova Pokedex Expansion: Yay or Nay?

Years
  • In B2/W2, the Unova Pokedex was expanded to include various older generation Pokemon, such as the Marill line, Mareep line, Growlithe line, Eevee and Eeveelutions etc. while also including the Pokemon that were new to the generation.

Were you a fan of this expansion? Or did you rather prefer the new Pokemon only Dex lineup that the original B/W had?

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    I definitely liked the expansion. I liked being able to have a greater accessibility to past generation's Pokemon.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I liked the expansion of the Unova Dex because there are many more Pokémon that I can see in the region, and this shows how the Unova region has changed much after 2 years, as per Black and White timeline, so the PokéDex expansion is a good thing for me.

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
    Years
  • I've always been an avid lover that BW only had new Pokemon, so when B2W2 came around I was disapointed that we had old gen pokemon show up, however they at least gave a somewhat decent reason, which is really all I could ask for.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I'll be honest; I did feel a bit ripped off when I saw older pokemon appear in the dex, and the generation in general DID feel a lot like it skimped out on new pokemon. But that being said, the gameplay of the game made up for it enough. I didn't really care all that much so long as the game itself didn't feel unfinished, which it most certainly did NOT.

I know that Nintendo/Game Freak/The Pokemon Company has NEVER promised us fans any specific number of new pokemon that they didn't already have developed in their games. They deliver all that they can, and they deliver only the best that they can. So that fact being laid forth, I never see any good reason to be upset about Gen 5 having less pokemon new than I wanted them to have. While Generation 5 didn't really stand out that much from the others, I do feel like a lot of good work was put into it, and I dearly enjoyed playing the games that were released in it.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I liked it. I thought that it was a good idea to make the PokeDex Gen V 'mons only in Black/White, but doing it twice in a row would've made it lose some of its luster imo. Part of the deal with having sequels to Black and White was to show how Unova has changed since then, and having new (though technically old lol) species appear in the region is one thing to do for that.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    While I loved how BW only included new Pokémon, I felt it was appropriate to incorporate older ones into B2W2. The idea of Unova containing only gen 5 Pokémon was mainly to keep the series feeling fresh, which worked in my opinion, but if you do the same thing over and over it won't be fresh any more. So in that regard, I think it was an appropriate time to have them bring back the older Pokémon. It also helped so you didn't have to transfer all old Pokémon to complete the Dex, which was another plus for technicality.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • New pokemon additions to the pokedex are always welcome in my books. The only thing that irks me is how easy you can get a Riolu in B2W2 as it could be found even before you take on the first gym leader.

Years
  • New pokemon additions to the pokedex are always welcome in my books. The only thing that irks me is how easy you can get a Riolu in B2W2 as it could be found even before you take on the first gym leader.

The main thing that does offset Riolu though is that it doesn't get its first Fighting move until Level 15, which is very time-consuming to grind to because you don't get access to Audino until after the 1st Gym, and with the EXP system most wild Pokemon don't even give much experience.

Back