• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Pokémon Apps

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • Or the Pokémon Applications! What i mean by this is, usually these are the small and 'nifty' devices that we get along our travels, for example, the Pokegear from Gen 2, and the PokeNav in Gen 3. Basically what the topic asks here is:

Which Pokémon App is your favourite? Why?
    Which one proved to be the most useful for you?

Just to provide a list of them here:

Gen 1: Fame Checker

Technically there wasn't a Pokemon App in the Gen 1 games, but on Pokemon LeafGreen/FireRed, there was something introduced called the 'fame checker', where it basically shows information about the different NPCs in pokemon:

The Pokémon Apps

It can be about Gym Leaders, or other important characters (like Professor Oak). Usually we'd have to hunt for the NPCs who say different stuff about these important characters and if we collect them all, the important characters will say.. something to us! The Fame Checker device itself has four black circular buttons on the left side, and on the right side it has a Poké Ball-shaped button or wheel split into three different portions.

Gen 2: Pokégear

Gen 2's Gold, Silver and Crystal, as well as HeartGold and SoulSilver introduces the Pokégear. displays the map of the region, names of previously fought Trainers, and the current time. It also allows players to call registered Trainers for idle chat, to battle, or if they found any items for them!

The Pokémon Apps

It also has different functions within the Pokegear that we'd have to unlock. These are: Time, Map, Phone, and the Radio. The Radio has different shows, in which on Fridays, we can listen to a show called Beuna's Password, to win prizes!

Gen 3: PokéNav

Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald introduces the PokéNav, a device made by the Devon Corp! t displays the map of the region, names of previously fought Trainers, conditions of Pokémon, and the Ribbons on the Pokémon.

The Pokémon Apps

It has several functions, which are: Map, Condition, Trainer's Eyes, Match Call, and Ribbons!

Gen 4: Pokétch

In Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, it's the Pokétch, developed by the The Pokétch Company! In short, it's basically like a watch for trainers, that has a variety of different functions!

The Pokémon Apps

It has 25 different functions, which are: a Digital Watch, a Calculator function, a Memo Pad, a Pedometer, Pokémon List, a nice Friendship Checker, a Dowsing Machine, Berry Searcher, Day Care Checker, Pokémon History (like it keeps track of the Pokémon you have obtained), a Counter, Analog Watch, Marking Map, Link Searcher, a Coin Toss function, Move Tester, a Calendar, Dot Artist, a Roulette machine, a Trainer Counter, Kitchen Timer, a Color Changer to change the color of the poketch screens, a Matchup Checker, Stopwatch, and finally an Alarm Clock. Wow.

Gen 5: The C-Gear

This gen, Black, White, Black 2 and White 2, introduces the C-Gear, created by Fennel. it maintains a list of players which are encountered using the DS's wireless capabilities, and various surveys can be conducted!

The Pokémon Apps

It has the Xtransceiver, that can be used to communicate with other players nearby using wireless, where up to 4 players can talk to each other using a radio-like system and, if they have a Nintendo DSi, DSi XL, or 3DS and camera function is not disabled, see each other! The Entralink is a function that warps the character to the.. um, Entralink, and Pokémon befriended in the Pokémon Dream World and items obtained in the Dream World can be obtained here. It also has Game Sync, and Infrared.

Gen 6: Player Search System, Pokémon-Amie, Super Training, and Advanced PokeNav

Gen 6 introduces a variety of pokemon apps, like the Player Search System, where you can find and battle with trainers instantly, as well as pokemon Amie, where you can play with your pokemon, and Super Training, to give EVs to your pokemon.

The Pokémon Apps

ORAS introduces a newly advanced version of the PokeNav from Gen 3, where it has the DexNav to help find pokemon, and the areanav that's located on the bottom.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    I like the PSS and the the trainer finder in FRLG . No checking maps no running round asking trainers, just a quick ping. loved it. I also love the dexnav.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    PokéDex Plus is basically a "greatest hits" of all of the current Pokémon apps. All the functions of gen 3 and gen 6 plus a greatly improved Poké Radar and TV functionality.

I also liked the Pokétch, felt quite ahead of it's time as well as back in 2007 Apple hadn't even released the App Store.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Of them all, I would say C-Gear is my most favorite.

First and foremost is, unlike some other devices, this one is customizable. Perhaps we're not able to fully personalize it on our own, but we are still given a range of themes to choose from when it comes to C-Gear, most of which do go according to our needs and whatnot. Of all skins, one that stands out to me most is Reshiram; its color-scheme is truly nice, at least in my opinion.

Second is more or less Pokétch. In this device, we're able to install a variety of applications, most of which are quite helpful (as they tend to gather information on Pokémon's stats, likeness, what level they are at if they're in Daycare Center, and so forth). It would have been nice if there were more available, however, but things that they had already given us are still satisfying (in my eyes, of course).

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Ah, I'm a bit tied between the PokéNav and the Pokétch~

Like, personally I think the PokéNav looks pretty good~! Like, the features aren't too bad.. usually I use the Trainer Eye's function to see who wants to battle and gain some exp for my pokemon, which I think is the most handy about it of all, haha. Well, that was, until ORAS when the Nav had more features like the DexNav which reaaally made the normally rare pokemon on Hoenn be much, much easier to find. <33

Pokétch, because yeah: they had so many functions, and I really love how you can change the colors of it. I didn't use much of the functions though since there were so many and I forgot about some of them, but things like the Radar and dowsing machine I really loved. :3

Years
  • Although a majority has mentioned the Pokétch, I think i'm going to go with the Gen VI apps that use Amie, Super Training and the PSS (and the DexNav in ORAS). They make really good use of the Touch Screen altogether, and it is indeed fun making use of it to play different games or just toy around with your Pokémon - that and finding friends is even easier.

Back