• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Review my LeafGreen team and give me some advice.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Hi everyone,
I've been playing LeafGreen for a while and still am unsure of what I want my "final" team to be, or the team that I wont change. Just to let you know, I want to catch the legendaries but I wont use them.
Do my current team is:

Venusaur - lv 33
Raichu - lv 33
Flareon - lv 32
Pidgeotto - lv 32
Hitmonlee - lv 30 (got it from the gym threehours ago)
Starmie -lv 20 (just caught)

So the two main doubts lie on Starmie and Pidgeot.
1. I have a big questionmark on Starmie. IMO psychic pokemon are a must, but Starmie is Psychic/Water. Can it cover the psychic needs, or should I get another water type pokemon? I really like Lapras and Omastar, but don't know which.
2. If Starmie is a no for covering both a water and a psychic pokemon, is Pidgeotto strong enough and worth to be kept and be evolved, or should I remove it to make free space for another pokemon, a psychic one? If so, Jynx is my favorite.
Starmie's current moveset is:
Water Pulse
Psychic
Recover
Camouflage
And I want to make it:
-Surf
-Psychic
-Recover
-Ice Beam
So should I keep Starmie and Pidgeotto (soon to be Pidgeot), or remove Pidgeotto to add Jynx, if Starmie isn't enough for a psychic Pokemon.
If it isn't should I keep Starmie and Jynx, or substitute Starmie for Lapras/Omastar?
Also what do you think of my current team?
Sorry for the countleas questions but I'm really confused :/.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
im glad you decide not to use legendaries ingame. No point in using them as the challenge is diminished.

Starmie is a great pokemon. Its high special attack allows it to run surf and psychic well and can sweep most trainers with ease. Your final moveset is strong for ingame purposes. Though it being underleveled can means tough grinding as it has a slow growth curve.
If you dont want starmie jynx is good as well for a psychic. (i assume this jynx is the one traded from cerulean?)

Pidgeot is ...mediocre since generally early game birds are not that strong as you can find many pokemon later in the game that outclasses it stat-wise and movepool wise (exception is staraptor from dppt)

the rest of your pokemon is okay except for...flareon. Its poor moveset and slow speed means it outclassed by many other fire types. (the other 2 eeveevolutions are way better). Arcanine would be a better choice.

Try not to train too many pokemon at once. I recommend not training more than 5 pokemon for ingame teams as with less pokemon less grinding is involved
(consequently ur pokemon would have more xp distributed among them and have higher levels, you will find you dont have to grind too much to be on par with trainers/gym leaders)

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
im glad you decide not to use legendaries ingame. No point in using them as the challenge is diminished.

Starmie is a great pokemon. Its high special attack allows it to run surf and psychic well and can sweep most trainers with ease. Your final moveset is strong for ingame purposes. Though it being underleveled can means tough grinding as it has a slow growth curve.
If you dont want starmie jynx is good as well for a psychic. (i assume this jynx is the one traded from cerulean?)

Pidgeot is ...mediocre since generally early game birds are not that strong as you can find many pokemon later in the game that outclasses it stat-wise and movepool wise (exception is staraptor from dppt)

the rest of your pokemon is okay except for...flareon. Its poor moveset and slow speed means it outclassed by many other fire types. (the other 2 eeveevolutions are way better). Arcanine would be a better choice.

Try not to train too many pokemon at once. I recommend not training more than 5 pokemon for ingame teams as with less pokemon less grinding is involved
(consequently ur pokemon would have more xp distributed among them and have higher levels, you will find you dont have to grind too much to be on par with trainers/gym leaders)

O.o, reading my post above, I just realised I made alot of grammar mistakes. Sorry about that, it's my iPod's fault :P.
To get back to the point, I heard great reviews on starmie and it's not that I really don't like it, but I wanted to know if Psychic as a move only would be enough sufficent to cover a whole Psychic pokemon if you know what I mean. So do I need to substitute it with Jynx, remove Pidgeot and add a water type, IF Starmie's "Psychic" isn't enough?
About Flareon, I was thinking of getting vaporeon, but I already had the doubts on the many water type pokemon, not Jolteon because my Raichu is strong, so I didn't want eevee to go waste. I caught Vulpix and evolved it to Ninetails, another pokemon I Love, but then I evolved Eevee to Flareon, and even though at level 25, it had an attack of 73. I defeated the whole electric gym with Flareon, using Quick Attack only. I hope it learns a fire move soon.
As for training my pokemon all at once do you mean I should not train all 5 pokemon in one battle, or what?
Thanks

Years
First in your team, Venusaur.
I would keep this pokemon, but grind it's level up as high as yu can.
Next, Raichu, I think this is an adequete pokemon, making your team btter if it were replaced. Since you already turned your eevee into the rubbish flareon, I would use electrode instead.
Now, Flareon. This i a no no. I would have used Jolteon, but just shove this waste in a PC box. I would sugest a houndoom, but am unsure if this is in lg or fr.
Then, Pidgeotto, keep this, and grind it up to level 100 mking sure yo evolve. I used it whenever possible. Keep this on your team
Hitmonlee, I would have taken Hitmonchan, but this is perfectl fine. Keep it on your team.
The final pokemon, Starmie. This is pretty good. I would use a Lapras or Omanstar, but Starmie is psychic to, so keep it on your team.

Still, my team would take down your suggestedteam if it was lvl100. I suggest you find your own style. Good luck.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
First in your team, Venusaur.
I would keep this pokemon, but grind it's level up as high as yu can.
Next, Raichu, I think this is an adequete pokemon, making your team btter if it were replaced. Since you already turned your eevee into the rubbish flareon, I would use electrode instead.
Now, Flareon. This i a no no. I would have used Jolteon, but just shove this waste in a PC box. I would sugest a houndoom, but am unsure if this is in lg or fr.
Then, Pidgeotto, keep this, and grind it up to level 100 mking sure yo evolve. I used it whenever possible. Keep this on your team
Hitmonlee, I would have taken Hitmonchan, but this is perfectl fine. Keep it on your team.
The final pokemon, Starmie. This is pretty good. I would use a Lapras or Omanstar, but Starmie is psychic to, so keep it on your team.

Still, my team would take down your suggestedteam if it was lvl100. I suggest you find your own style. Good luck.

Electrode? O.O
Anyways, I know I was the one to turn here for advice, but really, My Flareon has an attack of 111 and a special attack of 83, the only thing not as good as these two is the speed, 60.
This is a LeafGreen and I can't catch Houndoom, I would've kept that instead.
Also here's what I think I'm going to have as a final team:
Venusaur, Flareon, Raichu, Starmie, Jynx, Dragonite.

Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2012
This team is okay.

The only thing I would change is either Venusaur or Raichu (preferably Venusaur). Why? You might be asking. Well, a grass type Pokémon doesn't really serve any purpose on your team. Your water type (Starmie (I would replace him for Lapras for coverage against dragon types)) can deal with ground and rock types and your electric type (Raichu) can deal with water and flying types making the grass type irrelevant.

If you took my advice above you will notice that you only have five Pokémon. Add a solid psychic type (Alakazam is amazing) and your team will be really good.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
This team is okay.

The only thing I would change is either Venusaur or Raichu (preferably Venusaur). Why? You might be asking. Well, a grass type Pokémon doesn't really serve any purpose on your team. Your water type (Starmie (I would replace him for Lapras for coverage against dragon types)) can deal with ground and rock types and your electric type (Raichu) can deal with water and flying types making the grass type irrelevant.

If you took my advice above you will notice that you only have five Pokémon. Add a solid psychic type (Alakazam is amazing) and your team will be really good.

First of all thank you very much for the advice, but I really wanna stick to Venusaur because it's my favorite Pokemon from Leaf Green and it's the main reason why I started it. I might consider removing Raichu. Also I added Dragonite to my team instead of Hitmonchan. Should I add Hitmonchan after removing Raichu?
About Alakazlam, I don't have anyone to trade it with, but I'd really like him. My Jynx is beast, isn't it good enough?
The worst thing I did was learning Psychic to Starmie from the TM, if I didn't do that I'd add Lapras to my team. Does Lapras learn any worthy Psychic move without the need of a TM?

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
starmie is better than lapras with better stats, both Special attack and speed wise. Starmie is seriously one of the best water pokemon of any pokemon game.
Your current starmie moveset is good enough to last the entire game, i dont see why you need to replace starmie.

Years
  • Seen Sep 13, 2012
Firered was really hard for me. I used a Rhydon with the Rock Head ability and taught it Double Edge. It's ability prevents it from taking recoil.

Tyranitar042

Tyranitar King
Years
  • Age 34
  • US
  • Seen Feb 15, 2013
lol everyone saying flareon is rubbish ohh god ppl are so stupid flareons atk stat is far above any other fire pokemons sp atk stat but due to its inability to get a physical fire move nobdy wants to use it use overheat or fire blast for the stab then use bite, body slam/Double-Edge, 4th attack is a filler move whatever benefits ur team cause poison or sunny day solarbeam for venusaur whatever quick attack even ur flareon isnt garbage its better than arcanine in terms of attk. keep starmie and get another flying type maybe even a dragonite it will take grinding for sure but boy is it worth it.

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
Years
lol everyone saying flareon is rubbish ohh god ppl are so stupid flareons atk stat is far above any other fire pokemons sp atk stat but due to its inability to get a physical fire move nobdy wants to use it use overheat or fire blast for the stab then use bite, body slam/Double-Edge, 4th attack is a filler move whatever benefits ur team cause poison or sunny day solarbeam for venusaur whatever quick attack even ur flareon isnt garbage its better than arcanine in terms of attk. keep starmie and get another flying type maybe even a dragonite it will take grinding for sure but boy is it worth it.

Ugh... Flareon IS the WORST Eeveelution ever created. It has low speed and bad defence, and most of the Kanto pokemon are physical attackers. Flareon is just sh*t. Even though it has a base 130 Atk stat, that doesn't make up for it's defences, with bad HP, Def + Spe, Flareon has no room on this team. Come the Elite 4, you'll find your Flareon will faint very often. I would have used Jolteon or Vaporeon. The only person providing useful help is manutdrule imo. Dragonite has much more bulk and is stronger than Flareon. So swap Flareon with Dragonite. Ditch Raichu + Pidgeotto. Replace with Cloyster and Arcanine. Arcanine has good Sweeping capabilities. Keep Venusaur + Starmie.
Your team should look like this:

- Dragonite
- Venusaur
- Cloyster
- Starmie
- Arcanine

One last pokemon to add would be Gengar. But since you can't trade, Haunter should be fine, he still has high base stats.

NOW your team should look like this:

- Dragonite
- Venusaur
- Cloyster
- Starmie
- Arcanine
- Haunter

Now you're gonna need all of them in the High 50's (57+) and Low to Mid 60's (61 - 65)

This should help. Have fun!

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2014

- Dragonite
- Venusaur
- Cloyster
- Starmie
- Arcanine
- Haunter

Dragonite = a pain to train but if good in the end, if you can stand grinding it is worth it. If not try Snorlax if you want bulk, Scyther if you want speed, level up for good attack.

Venusaur = great.. Nothing more to say.

Why would you need Cloyster?! Starmie is already a good water type and it has Psychic so Stamie > Cloyster. Replace Cloyster with a good physical attacker.. I personally would suggest either Machamp or Nidoking, if you can't get Machamp get Hitmonlee it's the next best thing. Nidoking is a good back up if you don't want a fighting type.

Starmie = good.

Arcainine = best non psuedo-legendary and good pokemon overall.

Haunter = ok, but Gengar would be better. I prefer Sableye because it has NO WEAKNESSES! Nothing is super effective, sure it's stats aren't the best but if you level it up it has potential.

so

- Dragonite/Snorlax/Scyther (if you don't want to bother with leveling up)
- Venusaur
- Machamp/Machoke/Good fighting type eg. Hitmonlee
- Starmie
- Arcanine
- Gengar/Haunter/Sableye

Back