• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen D/P/Pt or HG/SS

D/P/Pt or HG/SS

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2018
    For some absurd reason the pokemon company is still printing Dimond/perl but not platimum, so my question is the single player for D/P worth paying for or should I get a second hand copy of SS?

Also, is HG/SS town design(overworld sprites and models) as bad as the orginal ones? Its just a personal pet peeve of mine from the orginal games that the towns were so samey.

Galho

Morning Bell
    Years
  • I'd go with Diamond. I found it's pokemon's much more appealing than the pearl version, which i owned, and the story is mildly interesting, i actually never got too much onto it storywise. HG/SS were pretty diverse IMO, and the best games in the 4th generation, not counting spin-offs or whatsoever. I just really like the remake of the 2nd generation overall and i think it was well made due to its diversity and new content while managing to keep the 2nd gen's spirit.

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    D/P because there's new type of Pokémon you can capture/get to see. HG/SS reminds me of R/B/Y so...

Years
  • I'd probably go with either HG or Diamond. I loved the remakes, except the remixed music (unlike most people I talk to) and I even do admit I enjoyed Diamond less, I still enjoyed it and I still recommend it.

I found the overworld a bit different in HG/SS than in GSC, but the buildings have the same rough design as in the original.

Years
  • My personal favorite game, aside from Emerald is Soulsilver. HG is pretty much the same game with some minor differences.

As for D/P, dont go for either, just wait till you're able to get Platinum cos firstly, it offers so much more, and secondly, its a lot faster (from what other people said). The only reason I am going to get Diamon is to do the tweaking glitch and get a Shaymin and Darkrai, but the gameplay wise, you should definitely get Platinum.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Great choice, imo SoulSilver is a longer game than Diamond/Pearl anyways. Plus, the Johto games are my favorite in the series, and there's more to do in SoulSilver than Diamond/Pearl anyways. Not to mention the games looks better too.

Years
  • I'd mostly go for HG/SS here, and while I liked Sinnoh a bit more than Johto, D/P are held back by being extremely slow while HG/SS are perfect if you want a nostalgic experience and it's a bit faster as well.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Mar 2, 2017
    HG/SS was 100% better in my eyes than D/P, this being because of the jhoto reigion being better overall in my eyes and the storyline was just so nostalgic.

Also SS/HG have a much lengthy story compared to D/P ~

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • Easy for me. SS/HG.

Silver, Gold and Crystal are my favorites games. On the other side, D/P are the games I liked the least.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I think we should add a poll to this, which I shall do once I finish posting!

As for me, hands down HGSS. I loved DPPt, but HGSS brought me back to my childhood. The nostalgia factor was something I just couldn't trump when it came to playing DPPt. Not to mention the stunning graphics accompanied by the updated original music from Gold and Silver as well as the extra features such as the PokeAthlon sold HGSS for me. It was a fantastic game and kept me thoroughly entertained for hours on end. That's not to say DPPt didn't either, they too were really fun to play. However, if I had to choose it'd be HGSS. (Plus, Johto is the best region ever)

Years
  • D/P/Pt, especially Platinum. It's my most favorite Pokemon game, with Sinnoh and 4gen Pokemon. I wasn't fond of the HG/SS much really.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    HG/SS by a large mile since I had lots of satisfication with it compared with the previous games due to the new additions they had such as the Pokeathlon, Following Pokemon etc.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • HGSS. Partly nostalgia, partly they were just great games too. Lots to do with two regions (even if they are smaller), plenty of side content, the Pokewalker on top of that...

Not to say that I didn't like DPPt! Platinum in particular was very polished. The music in the games were pretty good, gameplay was fun, and it had neat side stuff to do, like the Underground. That was fantastic fun.

Xherdan

Bad at Good Games
    Years
  • I hate HG/SS. I really do. I hate the path you gotta do from the 4th Gym to the 6th. But my least favorite Gym was the 5th. I feel like they just slapped it there randomly, like a filler. There are no challenges, and the Gym Leader only has 2 Pokemon instead of 3/4.

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2018
    I liked both games (and have SS and Plat) however I have to go with HG/SS. Since platinum introduced a new generation of pokemon, the remakes were that more interexting with all the new pokemon. And the remakes allowed you to explore TWO regions, not one.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I'm grouping them into three groups, as oppose to the OP. Namely, DP, Pt and HGSS.

Diamond and Pearl holds the title of first Gen IV core games. There aren't much attraction from the initial pairs, except for being the 'original Sinnoh games,' some version exclusives which aren't available in Pt like Murkrow, Glameow, etc and a slightly different plot.

Platinum on the other hand has improved a lot of stuff from DP, DP's slow battle frame rate and Surfing problem, aesthetic design, rosters of the trainers throughout the games and the plot is more enhanced than DP.

HGSS, it has the nostalgia points and since it came after Platinum, it's naturally better than the Sinnoh games, in terms of features. Otherwise they are kinda copy-paste of the original GSC with a modern twist.

Back