• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
Years
  • It makes sense to me, if you are writing pokemon as more animal like from the start :) .
    The only trouble I can see is that isn't it easy to tell a shadow pokemon from a normal one? :\

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • The only trouble I can see is that isn't it easy to tell a shadow pokemon from a normal one? :\

Actually, no. You either need a special ability (such as Rui's ability to see auras) or a special device (Michael's scanner) in order to see the difference. Otherwise, shadows look like every other Pokemon, save for their behavior.

In a direct response to Skunter, it makes sense. Not every Pokemon is going to obey or otherwise be friendly to its trainer, especially off the bat. For example, it was practically a running gag that Ash's Charizard would burn Ash on sight, which would've been fatal realistically.

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
    Years
  • Actually, no. You either need a special ability (such as Rui's ability to see auras) or a special device (Michael's scanner) in order to see the difference. Otherwise, shadows look like every other Pokemon, save for their behavior.

In a direct response to Skunter, it makes sense. Not every Pokemon is going to obey or otherwise be friendly to its trainer, especially off the bat. For example, it was practically a running gag that Ash's Charizard would burn Ash on sight, which would've been fatal realistically.

Sorry, my mistake :). I guess I got so use to that scanner in the game I forgot that everyone can't get one...

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
    Years
  • Yeah, in XD it was a scanner that was used to see the aura of the shadow Pokemon. In my story though, some of the shadow Pokemon are redesigned a little like Shadow Lugia was in XD because they're permanent ones that actually do stick out for all to see. But for the others where that were just turned into shadow aren't so evident, that's where this fakemon really comes in. It's supposed to be really in tune with nature and highly sensitive to changes in others' emotions (meh...sounds like the Ralts line, but the way this one reacts to those changes or abnormalities in emotion is with the hostility I mentioned before). I'm also kind of wondering if I should have the other fakemon Jay's got with him have their own reactions to encountering the shadow Pokemon since they're also animal-like ones. Then, I'm not sure if they should react aggressively like that one or more cowardly because they sense that the shadow pokes aren't normal.

Maybe I'm just overthinking this stuff, though...

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Have you ever really looked forward to writing a scene of a fic, only to have trouble writing it when you actually got to where it was needed?

Constantly. I'm doing a scene now where a Latias is projecting a human's memories into a blizzard with her light-altering skills, effectively creating a 3D cinema with his past as the movie. Strangely, it's really hard. I live for this kind of stuff, but the chapter is really emotional and there's intense character building happening at the same time, both of which I'm not very good at portraying.

Thus, two and a half months of deadly writer's block. We're talking paragraphs that take two hours to write here. I was so pumped and ready to write the scene that I cut my last chapter short, as I figured this one would be freakishly long otherwise. Nope.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    Hey, does anybody have a problem with Pokemon that have dual special abilities? Like for instance, in the most recent chapter of my fic, the main character's Yanma has both abilities: Compound Eyes and Speed Boost. All Pokemon in the fic that have dual abilities have both abilities.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • Hey, does anybody have a problem with Pokemon that have dual special abilities? Like for instance, in the most recent chapter of my fic, the main character's Yanma has both abilities: Compound Eyes and Speed Boost. All Pokemon in the fic that have dual abilities have both abilities.

I think this falls under a permissible form of "screwing the rules" of canon. As long as canon states that a Pokemon can have those abilities, I really don't see a problem with giving them both to that Pokemon. If it were something like, oh, say... randomly giving the Wonder Guard trait to your trainer's Charmander, or something, that would be bad. And just plain silly.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • I agree with Thesis, and to add, sometimes, dual abilities are just really blinking logical to have together, you know? For example, Muk can come with either Stench or Sticky Hold. It's made of essentially liquid sewage, so not only would that smell incredibly bad, but I wouldn't doubt that whatever it held would probably just sink in -- or wouldn't be retrieved by anyone with enough sense. If I wrote about a Muk, then, I just wouldn't be able to write a Sticky Hold Muk without its signature stench (which is canon according to the anime anyway), and a Stench Muk would probably have Sticky Hold-like properties as well.

For a Yanma, the concept's sort of there too. Dragonflies dart in flight, so Yanma logically has Speed Boost. Likewise, a Yanma that didn't have Compoundeyes just wouldn't seem very dragonfly-like.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Have you ever really looked forward to writing a scene of a fic, only to have trouble writing it when you actually got to where it was needed?

I have two fics, and yet sooooo many of these.

1. The actual shippy scene of my crappy story. Yes, I had been so excited to get there, but...when I actually ended up at the spot...O_O I just blanked out and I finished it...and hour later.

2. The note in Just A Brother. I had been wondering what to put it in when the time came, and of course, the time was here...and I was on the bus. This is the only part where the written version is different than the typed. The end of chapter five...I think in the written, I just wrote a bunch of overused love lines. -shot-

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
    Years
  • When it comes to Pokemon having dual abilities, I haven't got a problem with it. They have them in the PMD games (and can be a pain in the butt when its an enemy with them), so I say go for it. But, like Jax and Thesis were kind of getting at I think, don't go and just give them some random abilities Turtle King; otherwise... Well, you'll get chewed out a lot.

Anyways, gah... I just can't seem to get Chapter Two of Feral Twilight down right... It's been weeks since my last update, and I'm still stuck on some things in Chapter One that I'd like to revise. Anyone think I should do that and repost my fic a little later on? I was doing that with my last one Biohazard, but it kind of screwed me up more than it helped I think.

Saffire Persian

Feline of Light and Shadow
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Utah
    • Seen Nov 7, 2011
    Have you ever really looked forward to writing a scene of a fic, only to have trouble writing it when you actually got to where it was needed?

Oh, every once in awhile. Usually though it's that I never get to the scene to write it, as I'm usually a stickler for writing scenes in the order they go in. I've been getting out of that way of writing, however. Just wrote the ending to something that isn't yet finished.

Anyway, time to update the fanfiction challenge with a new theme for the month, isn't it?

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2008
    new fanfic writer

Hi all

out of shot of creative thinking i began writing a fanfic which is going to end up creating a new region in the pokemon world. The story centers around characters loosely based upon reallife people i know and situtions we have dealt with along with adventures we have concocted while playing the games.

the fanfic will include many ties with the tv series as well as a cameo or two. It will be quite graphic, violent and will deal with very personal situations so it might be a pg-13 thing.

i hope to have the first "book" or short story finished shortly and hopefully you will all enjoy it.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    Anyway, time to update the fanfiction challenge with a new theme for the month, isn't it?
    I've been busy moving and what-not, so I keep losing my Internet. I'll slap some random word in the thread and tell y'all to not blow up the forums while I find some place to sleep, since my bed is in the trash.

Jebus, can't even take a few days off to write up the prompt before you people just go whining on home to mommy. D: Wah wah wah, evil moderator won't give me a new prompt.

>> Guh. *throws hands up in defeat* You people are just going to drive me to drink.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • >> Guh. *throws hands up in defeat* You people are just going to drive me to drink.
    Chug! Chug! Chug! Chug! ;)

I'd laugh if the prompt was 'Pokemon'... EDIT: - Ohh, it be 'Death'. Such a charming theme... my one shot for a contest on Serebii would do well for it (well, maybe), only it already has been done...
    @Radish - well, good luck with your fic. Take your time with it, and don't rush it.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    I'm actually just going to eat chocolate. I can't eat too much of it, because I'll get FAT, but it's so good.

I'm going to get a lot of chuckles seeing what you angsty people are going to write with this prompt. I need entertainment!

And this post was so going to be on-topic, but I really don't feel like talking about a Pokemon fanfiction that's now just sitting on my floor. I doubt my plan of actually getting that fic done this year is actually going to hold true.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I'm actually just going to eat chocolate. I can't eat too much of it, because I'll get FAT, but it's so good.
    Eat! Eat! Eat! Eat! :) But I agree - chocolate IS good (next prompt maybe?). And so is being off-topic. :)

Just to be on-topic:
    What are your thoughts on canon? Should it be followed to the end, or do you disregard it?
    Yep, the subject from Serebii - recently there's a debate on the such (partly around whether ten year olds trainers HAVE to be used or not and Sues and the such, which is starting to get annoying, especially for someone who made the mistake of joining in said debate...)

For me - I take canon to be merely a guide, which I follow, but not to the letter, so to speak. I take most things that Pokemon is mostly about, but a few I've changed - only minor ones.
    My fic does follow the game Pokemon Colosseum however, so a fair bit has to do with filling in plotholes, and thus changing some aspects or events in the 'canon' of Colosseum, as well as some additions to it of my own.

Last edited:

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
  • Yep, the subject from Serebii - recently there's a debate on the such (mostly around whether ten year olds trainers HAVE to be used or not, which is starting to get annoying, especially for someone who made the mistake of joining in said debate...)
    The debate has nothing to do with if people HAVE to use ten-year-old trainers. Have you been reading the thread?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • The debate has nothing to do with if people HAVE to use ten-year-old trainers. Have you been reading the thread?
    Yes, I have... bad wording on my part in that post, but it has (a tad) to do with it as well, methinks, but also a lot on Sues, canon, and so forth... bleh, I don't really want to go too much into what it was about anyways, it's getting annoying for me.

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
  • ...but it has (a tad) to do with it as well...
    No. If you think that, you've missed the point by so wide a margin that it might possibly have ended up in a different country than you. If so, I'm sure it's looking around in sad, bemused distress. Perhaps it will take the time to attempt hitchhiking back in your direction.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back