• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Eggs!

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • Every saga of Pokemon has had a trainer raising one Pokemon from an egg. Let's review (for people who haven't seen/remember how it all happened.)

In Kanto, Ash and Co found a mysterious Pokemon Egg during a prehistoric attack (Attack of the Prehistoric Pokemon episode). All three of them, and Meowth, fight over who will take care of it. When the egg hatches, it first sees Misty, and thus becoming its trainer. It has since then evolved into Togetic, and been released.

In Johto, we had two eggs.

Ash had received a Phanphy Egg as a prize. The Pokemon had been used in some of Ash's Johto battles, but had been Oaked afterwards. It was not seen again until the Battle Frontier, where it had evolved into a Donphan. He has also used Donphan in the Sinnoh League.

Ash was given a Larvitar Egg to deliver to Mt. Silver. It has since been ruined with its mother, and has not been seen since, with the exception of some openings. We'll probably never see this Pokemon again.

In the Hoenn Saga, we had one Egg.

May had received an Eevee Egg from a Day Care worker in Kanto. She used the Pokemon in the Kanto Grand Festival, and is assumed to have gone with her when travelling alone to Johto. During the Sinnoh Saga, May returned, and evolved her Eevee into a Glaceon.

In the Sinnoh Saga, I believe we had two Eggs.

Brock had received a Happiny Egg as a prize for winning a Dress Up Contest. Happiny has only been used in battle a few times since hatching. It evolves into Chansey at the very end of the Sinnoh Saga, as Brock decides to become a Pokemon Doctor.

Dawn had received a Cyndaquil Egg from Lyra. She has since used the Cyndaquil in a few contests, and eventually evolved into a Quilava in a special episodes never dubbed for English audiences.

I believe, Unova had one egg.

Ash had received a Scraggy Egg from a character of the day as a thank you for settling a conflict. Ash hasn't used Scraggy as often as all his other Pokemon, and it is unknown if the Pokemon will return in the future. The Pokemon remains in Professor Oak's lab, seemingly forgotten for now.

Finally, in our current saga, one egg again.

Ash's Hawlucha had discovered a Noibat Egg, which hatched within the exact same episode. The Pokemon first saw Ash, and is in obvious possession of him. The Pokemon has evolved into Noivern and was used in a League. I'm pretty sure it's getting Oaked in the end.

Notes: I'm not counting Pokemon that were found in eggs off-screen, like Misty's Azurill, and Iris's Axew.

DISCUSSIONS.

Favorite Pokemon hatched from an Egg in the Anime?
    Would you like to see this more often?
    What Pokemon would you like to see hatch from eggs via the anime?

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Brock's Happiny probably, because of how strong and powerful it was.

I liked them all really, except for Togepi I suppose. While it was cute in Kanto, Togepi then proceeded to do absolutely nothing for the next 200 episodes but sit in Misty's arms, essentially making it a very boring pokemon that did nothing for its entire run. It also forced Misty to permanently hold it in every episode for the rest of her run, and that looks pretty bad in retrospect that all the other girls are jumping around and into the action while Misty got forced to play the mother to an egg for what was essentially 70% of her run.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    For the topic, I really don't have a favorite due to Toy Story basically ingraining in me how favoritism is bad, though that being said, I never had a quarrel with Togepi. For the second question, any will do. And for the third question, I'm interested in seeing any eggs of any Pokémon in the anime.

With that all being said, sorry Sheep for having to jump in regarding this, but what precita said is a bit of a pet peeve of mine and thus really needs to be addressed:

First of all, precita, Togepi was a baby that wasn't even MEANT to battle in the first place. Stop assuming that just because Togepi didn't even battle at any time save for when it fought Pikachu, that automatically meant it did absolutely nothing and was a useless addition. Even in the games, it's made clear that you aren't supposed to evolve Togepi by having it fight (if anything, you have a far better chance of having Togepi evolve by having it NOT battle due to the means of evolution involving happiness points). In fact, it's moveset in Generation II wasn't even all that impressive, with most of its attacks being status attacks, and the only really good move it actually has is Double Edge, as pound isn't all that impressive of an attack especially given its size, and even metronome, being a wild card move, is largely unreliable. It wasn't even until Generation III that it even gets a decent move via Ancient Power, and even then it wouldn't be consistent until Generation IV, since that was only in FRLG. And before you bring up Larvitar and Phanpy as egg Pokémon that proved useful despite being baby Pokémon, again, Phanpy and Larvitar are Pokémon that were actually MEANT to battle in the first place, unlike Togepi, who, like Pichu, Magby, Elekid, Smoochum, Cleffa, and Igglybuff, required happiness levels to evolve. Which also brings me to the next part: Misty TRIED to teach it to battle back during the Orange Islands, and it crashed and burned because Togepi quite frankly didn't even understand what Misty was trying to teach it (For instance, she put a wooden post down and tried to teach it headbutt, but even after explaining it and even giving a physical description by knocking the pole repeatedly with her head, Togepi just hugged it, clearly not understanding at all what Misty was trying to tell it). Now, had you been complaining if Misty's Togepi had been, I don't know, a squirtle, where it sat in her arms not battling despite actually being made for battle, I can agree with you there. But Togepi wasn't meant to battle in first place, so I don't see why you are acting as though it needs to battle to be useful.

And as far as Misty, just because she played mother to Togepi didn't mean she did nothing for her run. There was actually quite a bit she did during her time in the show even WITH Togepi. Like when she saved that Marril, or when she got Ash and Brock over to New Island, or when she solved those riddles regarding Blaine during the Cinnabar Island arc. And don't get me started on the Whirl Cup, or how she alongside Brock held off Giovanni and the non-JJM Team Rocket members in Mewtwo Returns, or even managed to fight Molly well enough to give her a run for her money.

I might as well add that I personally think it's BECAUSE of far too many fans complaining that Togepi didn't do anything as if battles were the only thing that mattered to a character that we got the likes of May's Squirtle and Eevee as well as Dawn's Piplup, whom, BTW, were utterly HATED precisely BECAUSE they were far TOO skilled especially for their current stage, and unlike Pikachu or Ash's Bulbasaur didn't even have any justifications for their being overpowered (in fact, Dogasu in one of his comparisons even compared May's Squirtle to a member of the Son Family in a very negative manner when it used Ice Beam to change the weather).

Sorry for the immense rant, but I always get pretty irritated when people use that complaint about Togepi not doing anything because, honestly, the point of Togepi since it was created was NEVER to battle (that's even why EXP doesn't do any good regarding evolving it), so why complain about that. Do you use Togepi for battles constantly to get it to evolve? And besides, suppose Misty DID use Togepi for battles constantly. More likely than not, it would require constant visits to the ER for Togepi, and it would actually reflect VERY badly on Misty as a character. Do you want that? The only reason she even used Togepi for a battle once was because she knew the opponent, Pikachu, would not dare try to hurt Togepi and forfeit. Imagine if it was someone with far less compunctions against harming Togepi.

EDIT: I might as well add something else: You want a character who LITERALLY did nothing regarding a baby Pokémon? Just look at May regarding Manaphy when Phantom abducted it. Misty at least attempted to find Togepi and pursue that Fearow when it was caught in a similar situation. May didn't even do ANYTHING at all to stop Phantom, which resulted in Ash saving the day AGAIN despite it being her movie. Long and the short is, you're allowed to hate Togepi, everyone has their own opinion, but you aren't allowed to get your facts wrong, as you can't make up your facts. You can hate Togepi for it's chirping sounds. You can hate Togepi for it's design. Heck, you can even hate Togepi for having any influence on Misty's personality even despite my personally disagreeing with that notion, but don't hate Togepi for either leaving Misty to do nothing for most of her run, or for Togepi itself doing nothing.

Last edited:
    Back