• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: Which ROM Base do you prefer?

ROM Base?

• Total voters

I Am Number 3

< Learning to ASM Hack
Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2012
    Well I was just wondering what your favorite ROM Base. I think I prefer FireRed and Emerald.

Cyndaquil312

It's been 7 years... but i've returned once more.
    Years
  • I prefer FR/LG simply because the graphics are much cleaner than R/S/E's I'm more of a mapper, and i find making R/S/E's tiles (especially the large trees) look right.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I don't have preference since I only hacked Fire Red and was editing Ruby hacks.
    Though in terms of tiles I prefer Fire Red.
    But Ruby/Emerald offers more possibilities with right tiles.
    So if you need lots of OWs and as for Emerald more facilities I'd go for Ruby/Emerald.
    But if you want to do lots of things by yourself, I'd go for JPAN's Fire Red.

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
    Years
  • Well at the start i asked myself this too.
    but now i think they all are kinda the same for FR/LG(or just FR) are made mroe tools and almost everyone is reffering to FR.
    ruby otherwise is...dont know really long time not hacked...it have badder graphics bt gives more possibilitys and emerlad as i looked recently is i guess the best rom it have more pallets for OW;s which arent even used and the secondary tileset are bigger than FR's.
    well the best is messing with some and deciding which u think is better:)

Thatonegurl

Scripter
    Years
  • Ill go with Fr/Lg and R/S

Fr/Lg is probably the best in my opinion.
    mainly for the clean look and feel.

R/S has a lot of things Fr/Lg doesn't though. It may not be as
    clean looking, and may be a little buggy at times, but its all right.

Lyzo

Back from vacation
    Years
  • I prefer FR/LG for one reason. It's more generally hacked and thus supported more often in in depth hacks and tutorials. I personally find it harder and more time consuming to find offsets and whatnot for RSE than for FRLG.

But I do think that RSE is a much better ROM base with more possibilities. The only downside is the graphics, but seeing as you can replace those easily I think it is the better ROM base.

But I still stick with FR because there's more to work with. JPAN's engine, ect. And I've grown comfortable with it.

[T]ouko

Dedicated Scripter!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2013
    I agree with Lyzo, most tools, research and tutorials are for FR, so it's alot easier to be using FR, unless you already know everything :P

I also think it has more possibilities, since as I said, it's more 'populair', so most of the research and new tools are for FR.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    I dunno why, but Ruby's my main love for using to hack. Call me crazy, but something just draws me to it, and I just can't explain it.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2012
    To me, it feels like you can do much more on a Sapphire/Emerald/Ruby rom than FR or LG... but FR and LG tiles looks much better and are easier to work with!

But I'll go with RSE, DP and HGSS :)

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2016
    Ruby/Emerald have far more features. Berries, day/night system, Dive, Pokecontests, Pokenav, and Battletower in Emerald. These features are great and most are hard to replicate in FireRed.

Firered has been more extensively hacked and thus is much easier to get support for, not to mention Jpans Firered engine, which adds alot of hacking potential. However it lacks the aforementioned features, if you dont need them though then Firered is better

Also, tiles dont matter much, since those are ridiculously easy to change out.
    The DS and GB games take pretty leet skills to hack, imo, making them less attractive

Chiar

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2014
    I really like using both FR and Emerald. They both have an equal number of advantages and disadvantages in my opinion.

NatureKeeper

Why? They're not as complex as FireRed and LeafGreen to hack, yet don't have the random PokéNav calls in Emerald. Also, the default engine is good enough to create a hack without ASM.

FireRed and LeafGreen
    Improved graphics (somewhat) over the previous games, giving the games a unique feel not present in even HeartGold or SoulSilver. Also, although not as good as RSE, has an amazing engine and a default tileset that you will probably have no need to edit unless you want to remove its GBA feel.

HeartGold and SoulSilver
    Although somewhat harder than its predecessors due to the absence of a valid map editor, the scripting language has great simplicity with everything, except functions like Flags for instance. Also, text hacking is amazingly easier, since all text is present in the map itself. Also, the touch screen interface and the PokéGear are great features, and have great hacking potential.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • I like hacking FR/LG better. It's easier for me to hack it then R/S/E, and the graphics looks more neater in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2014
    i prefer ruby/sapphire and the older versions
    i dont like fire red/leaf green i find ther really annoying for some reason
    i wish there was more hacks done with ruby/sapphire
    and does any 1 know where i can post a hack description and ask people for help cus i cant hack cus i am on mac
    pm me :)

Shinypoliwrath

RMXP Noob
    Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2013
    I prefer Fire Red/Leaf Green Roms.
    Since I've played R/Y/FR and LG in the past, I'm used to the linear progression around the gen 1 style games.
    Plus from what I've found, there are a few more tools to hack them with than R/S/E.

marcc5m

what
    Years
  • Ruby. Although FireRed may have better tiles, Ruby has, in many ways, more possibilities with graphics. Well, ignoring the whole thing with .raws only being editable by hex, that slows things down a little. Ruby has an editable Professor background (which I messed up, so now I have to find where it was repointed and edit it again, ugh), the clock, a bigger second tileset (although it does have a smaller main tileset, but for someone like me, that really doesn't change anything). Lots more stuff too.

Not only that, but with FireRed, I have really bad experiences with game-breaking glitches that caused me to quit two hacks (although one may or may not be being remade and one is going to be a game). Emerald...I can't ASM hack or program very well. So I'd have to use the glitchy tools, incredibly boring hex, or make a hack with a ton of glitches.

So yeah, Ruby all the way.

Jean LaFlame

French chic ♪
    Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2012
    Well, I prefer Fr/Lg because of the graphics and 'cause they can be easily edited. And what can I say about Emerald? I say that is quite difficult to edit this last one, but not impossible (see Pokémon Crono by Steven).

Greetings!

Back