• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Do you miss rental battles?

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 3, 2018
The battles which made you fight with various random pokemon, it was really quite a challenge
to handle those battles. Last appearing in Gen.V and seem to be missing in X/Y and OR/AS.

Do you miss them? Or where you not even participating in those, when they still were a thing?

personally, I do miss them.

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
I personally don't. I never used them except back in Emerald for the battle frontier. I hate that it's not in ORAS, but hey, what can you do.

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
Years
I used to love using rental Pokemon back in Pokemon Emerald. Although, it doesn't bug me that much that it's gone now. I find it more fun to assemble my own team to go for the gold.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
No, because they would have the most stupid and random movesets. A Special Attack-based Gyarados? Ew. A set that revolves completely around a move with horrible accuracy (like Hypnosis)? No thanks.

Things are a lot less stressful without them, quite frankly.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I miss rental battles because it's interesting battling with Pokemon with different move sets than what you're comfortable with, though what Overlord LeSabre said does bring up a good point on some of those sets being terrible.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
They can be fun, sometimes frustrating too. Nevertheless, it's sad to see that facility is absent in XY/ORAS.

Years
I don't miss them all that much, but they bring more variety by making you have to get used to unfamiliar Pokemon so they are still a challenge on their own. It reminds me how terrible battle facilities have gotten lately.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Personally, I would have enjoyed it to see the feature back in X and Y, for sure. I've always found it intriguing to be using Pokémon that didn't exactly belong to you, with completely random move-sets and whatnot. Sometimes, this may help you discover new ways to utilize a certain Pokémon.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
I dislike rental battles it doesn't mean you get good mons to rented with it's due to completely random set of moves which some are good and some are bad take a powerful moves with accuracy of 95 or less, move that doesn't match with stats (special-base moves on physical base mons), few/no coverage, moves around 65 base power and many other reason to dislike it

Years
Because I loved the Battle Frontier and every one of its facilities to death, I can safely say that I do miss rental battles. It gave a chance to showcase the capabilities of a Pokemon in battle, as well as for the player to try out setups that are at times very wacky. The Battle Factory was a very fun challenge because of this, especially when you end up using Pokemon that you have never even thought about of using. The opportunity to exchange with defeated opponents also meant that you were not stuck with the same team, and also had the chance to have any strong Pokemon that you come across as a part of your team.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
I did enjoy rental battles in Emerald, but I wasn't big enough on them that I miss them a whole lot. It'd be nice to have at one of the battle facilities, but in general I have more fun battling with Pokemon that I put in all the work to train.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 27, 2017
It was actually my favorite mode in the Battle Frontier. The fact that you were given a random set to choose from and improvise made it unpredictable and allowed you to try new things without having to raise the Pokemon yourself. I really wish it would make a return.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Oct 23, 2015
As most people as said, I too miss the Emerald rental system in the Battle Frontier! ORAS replaced it and I wasn't very happy, it lacked the charm that going through different amazing battle buildings had. Emerald was the only game I used the rental pokemon system in, though.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
I definitely miss it. You get to use all sorts of stuff you probably never would have considered using before, which is good.

Back