• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Arrows on road signs?

Years
  • I want a sign in my game that says "↑ Town", but I can't figure out how to do it. Alt codes and copy-pastes all result in "?" appearing in place of the arrow. How do I do this? I'd like not to resort to using the cardinal directions instead.

Years
    • Seen today
    I want a sign in my game that says "↑ Town", but I can't figure out how to do it. Alt codes and copy-pastes all result in "?" appearing in place of the arrow. How do I do this? I'd like not to resort to using the cardinal directions instead.

The reason it doesn't work is because the font you are using lacks the arrows.
    Either get a new font or edit the current font you are using to add the arrows in.

Years
  • The reason it doesn't work is because the font you are using lacks the arrows.
    Either get a new font or edit the current font you are using to add the arrows in.
    I don't think that's correct. I'm using the four fonts that come with Pokemon Essentials, not anything else. That said, I tried it on a blank project that didn't use PE, and it didn't work there either. And it's not that it appears in the playtesting that way, it's that it appears that way as soon as I close the text entry box (and, when I use Alt codes, it automatically appears as a question mark instead of an arrow).

Years
    • Seen today
    I don't think that's correct. I'm using the four fonts that come with Pokemon Essentials, not anything else. That said, I tried it on a blank project that didn't use PE, and it didn't work there either. And it's not that it appears in the playtesting that way, it's that it appears that way as soon as I close the text entry box (and, when I use Alt codes, it automatically appears as a question mark instead of an arrow).

Yes, the question mark appears to replace a symbol that doesn't exist in the font.
    I had a similar issue with my own project. There was a series of periods and the document formatted them as ellipses (...). When I pasted it into my project and ran it, they appeared as blank rectangles, since I didn't have ellipses in my font.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hm. Well, I wouldn't rightly know how to format the arrows into the font, so I guess I'll have to stick to the cardinal directions.

Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Use icons.

Make an icon named "uparrow.png" and put it into the Graphics/Icons/ folder, then in the message use: <icon=uparrow>

Last edited:
    Back