• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I Don't Understand why Dawn is so Popular.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • Is there anything within the Pokemon Anime community that you don't understand the popularity of? I never understood why people liked Dawn so much, no offense or anything... Keep discussions civil.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I never understood why people liked Dawn so much, no offense or anything... Keep discussions civil.

You're dead to me, Musique.

My pick is fairly obvious: short-haired Serena. I've already explained how hair plays a major factor in a female character's beauty trait and how certain hair styles suit only on them. Serena was meant to be designed with long hair, and giving her a haircut utterly destroys the appeal of her character design. Thankfully she's going to leave the series and not winning dat Ash and be replaced by another long-haired girl (from the leaked concept arts) that's definitely not going to get a haircut later on.

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2017
    Is there anything within the Pokemon Anime community that you don't understand the popularity of? I never understood why people liked Dawn so much, no offense or anything... Keep discussions civil.

I don't know either, maybe bc she's beautiful, smart, innocent... NVM, I just like her {XD}

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    Is there anything within the Pokemon Anime community that you don't understand the popularity of? I never understood why people liked Dawn so much, no offense or anything... Keep discussions civil.

I think it has alot to do with she was the closest to being like the new series protagonist than all of the other female companions. Coupled with the fact that most of Ash's winning strategies was based on things she did, I guess people love that Dawn was a perfect fit for Ash's battle style.

Years
  • Tbh I don't think Dawn was that great in terms of her personality, although I liked her skills as a Coordinator. Her being handed a Togekiss for free ticked me off, though. I hate handouts.

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    Tbh I don't think Dawn was that great in terms of her personality, although I liked her skills as a Coordinator. Her being handed a Togekiss for free ticked me off, though. I hate handouts.

Well she was owed a powerhouse pokemon after that crappy release of her Ambipom.

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    There's a lot of reasons why Dawn was so popular, her chemistry with Ash was another thing, Pearlshipping was big in Japan when D/P series was going.

Yah, maybe her being co star had some thing to do with it too.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Guys, you do realize that the thread title is just an example, right...

I also never really truly understood why Best Wishes was so unpopular. I get that no one liked how Ash reset, but I actually found this to be interesting.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Dawn was very popular because she was the 1st co-star worthy of calling Ash's partner !
    Actually , I think May to be more popular then Dawn.

Years
  • I also never really truly understood why Best Wishes was so unpopular. I get that no one liked how Ash reset, but I actually found this to be interesting.

Well, people not only hated the complete reset of Ash but also him losing easily to Trip's beginning Snivy in their first battle since Snivy had not battled until then. Also, Iris and Cilan were among his most hated travel companions, with Iris arguably being his worst female companion ever.

Oh, and the Nimbasa Gym as well - Ash relied on Palpitoad so much that he didn't have a backup plan in place when Palpitoad was defeated, and Ash had to run back to the Pokemon Center (while risking a forced forfeit) just to get another Pokemon, only to find out it was one that couldn't defeat Elesa's Emolga who defeated said Palpitoad. And it was that reason he had to bring out his Deus Ex Machina aka Pikachu.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • You're dead to me, Musique.

My pick is fairly obvious: short-haired Serena. I've already explained how hair plays a major factor in a female character's beauty trait and how certain hair styles suit only on them. Serena was meant to be designed with long hair, and giving her a haircut utterly destroys the appeal of her character design. Thankfully she's going to leave the series and not winning dat Ash and be replaced by another long-haired girl (from the leaked concept arts) that's definitely not going to get a haircut later on.

Sorry but this is.. lowkey messy. Like a female having long/short hair shouldn't have any impact on their beauty, Serena's short hair actually suited her and it's actually a trend that's going on in the real world right now lol. I mean, she may just be an anime character but it goes further into a deep rooted issue of women only being seen as beautiful if their hair is the typical long and feminine style.

The short hair was also a massive turning point for Serena's character and probably one of the most liberating things the show has done. I really enjoyed the scene where she did it because she was shaking off her mistakes and starting again.

--

ANYWAY. Something I never understood was the appeal for the Johto saga. A lot of people seem to absolutely adore it, and whilst it does have some shining episodes I found the overall saga to be completely boring compared to Kanto. It just lacked a lot of vital things, there were no hair raising moments - or at least very few compared to the other seasons.

Lunarly

(●´ω`●)
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Feb 2, 2019
    Well to me Dawn was probably the most "sexualized" character out of all the female characters since her skirt was way to short for a 10-12 year old I'd assume. Also like most others said, the shipping of Ash and his female friends started with Dawn.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Sorry but this is.. lowkey messy. Like a female having long/short hair shouldn't have any impact on their beauty, Serena's short hair actually suited her and it's actually a trend that's going on in the real world right now lol. I mean, she may just be an anime character but it goes further into a deep rooted issue of women only being seen as beautiful if their hair is the typical long and feminine style.

The short hair was also a massive turning point for Serena's character and probably one of the most liberating things the show has done. I really enjoyed the scene where she did it because she was shaking off her mistakes and starting again.

Just in case you're wondering, I never implied that I disliked short hair, because I've seen plenty of fictional women who look better with short hair. I would be upset if May suddenly grew out her hair, because her short hair was part of what made her overall design appealing.

The short hair was also the worst turning point to Serena's character, because it made me lose respect for the character overall. And that once scene has been affecting my life ever since. I couldn't concentrate on whatever I'm doing, and whenever I try to think of Smash, that scene keeps coming back to haunt me.

Also like most others said, the shipping of Ash and his female friends started with Dawn.

I'm pretty that started with May.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • Just in case you're wondering, I never implied that I disliked short hair, because I've seen plenty of fictional women who look better with short hair. I would be upset if May suddenly grew out her hair, because her short hair was part of what made her overall design appealing.

The short hair was also the worst turning point to Serena's character, because it made me lose respect for the character overall. And that once scene has been affecting my life ever since. I couldn't concentrate on whatever I'm doing, and whenever I try to think of Smash, that scene keeps coming back to haunt me.

But a character's physical features don't define them.. well actually, lol, I guess in anime they do. But I think that was the point. Serena changed her entire "character" because she wanted to improve herself. The outfit/hair change was a liberating moment like I said and it's actually quite clever of the writers because anime characters don't change their physical attributes like clothing and hair. After cutting her hair she just became more confident in herself. She still retained her personality, that sweet, caring personality she's always had. If it's really having that much of an effect on you then that's really your own problem and it shouldn't be pushed onto the writers to be seen as something they did wrong when a lot of people I've discussed it with agree on the move being good.

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2017
    Well to me Dawn was probably the most "sexualized" character out of all the female characters since her skirt was way to short for a 10-12 year old I'd assume. Also like most others said, the shipping of Ash and his female friends started with Dawn.
    You're joking right? lol
    It started with Misty.

Years
  • Is there anything within the Pokemon Anime community that you don't understand the popularity of? I never understood why people liked Dawn so much, no offense or anything... Keep discussions civil.

"Kawaii "lovable", "cute", or "adorable" is the quality of cuteness in the context of Japanese culture. It has become a prominent aspect of Japanese popular culture, entertainment, clothing, food, toys, personal appearance, behavior, and mannerisms."
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawaii.
    ^ I think the reason behind the popularity of Dawn is the prominent kawaii aspect of the Japanese culture. Many people who watch the Japanese media like to see kawaii characters and things. Dawn is cute. She was designed to be an eye candy. Ask her designers.

Years
  • I don't understand the popularity of the show after Season 8, once the new dub takes over its just a completely different (and AWFUL) show, the dubs just don't match the characters and it's like they overexaggerate every movement and mannerism of the characters to match the dub and...just no. Plus the quality of the actual Pokemon starts going downhill in Generation 3. I may be one of the nostalgic fans but there's a reason we're nostalgic, the show we fell in love with was the original, not the crappy new updates they keep adding.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I don't understand the popularity of the show after Season 8, once the new dub takes over its just a completely different (and AWFUL) show, the dubs just don't match the characters and it's like they overexaggerate every movement and mannerism of the characters to match the dub and...just no.

Yeah... TCPI is bad. They ruined the anime's dub, imo. I'm honestly with you on this one, so it's probably not nostalgia talking. guess, such is what happens when you hire cheaper voice actors. :| So, I feel you.

Years
  • Yeah... TCPI is bad. They ruined the anime's dub, imo. I'm honestly with you on this one, so it's probably not nostalgia talking. guess, such is what happens when you hire cheaper voice actors. :| So, I feel you.

Yeah, I mean obviously it's all just down to taste and I can't fault people for having their opinions but I just don't understand how people can like it, it's just baffling to me and I've seen a lot of responses around the internet towards people who feel the same as me where they get "it's just because you're one of those nostalgic fans" thrown at them for daring not to like the newer seasons.

Last edited:
    Back