• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Family First

Years
  • How close are you to your family? Do you get along with all your family members, or are there some that you particularly dislike? Where does most of your family live, and do you visit them often? Do you give priority to your family, or will you choose to hang out with friends over spending time with them?

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I hate every single member of my family. I only visit them on holidays, except my father who I have to see daily because I live with him. I will choose to hang with friends over family any day.

Years
  • I get along with my family members pretty well; I don't dislike any of them. My mom and stepdad live about an hour away from where I go to college, my dad lives seven hours away in the state I mostly grew up in, and two of my stepsisters live in Ohio (last I checked, anyway) while one's a couple hours away from where I am. I stay with my mom and stepdad for most of the summer and winter break, and I'll sometimes see them on other breaks or during school days, while my dad I'll be lucky to see a few times a year. Two of my three stepsisters have estranged themselves from my mom and stepdad, and we haven't been able to see the third. As for the last question, I'd rather hang out with friends, but given how I don't have any where I live, my parents automatically get priority. If I'm with my dad, I may want to be with my friends, but it depends on the time of year and if I'm at his place or if I'm on vacation in another state.

Years
  • I'm not very close to my family. I currently live with my granny because of personal and financial reasons.
    No one else really makes an effort to talk to me.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I'm not close to my family, my mum i love but haven't relied on her a long time, my brother and dad i will probably always love and try my best to find excuses for them, but it's unlikely we'll ever be close.

I think it at least had it's upsides, they've never left me homeless or similar and would never compare myself to people in bad situations; but their emotional distance made it a lot easier for me to move out into the world by itself at a rushed but mostly stable pace.

Family needs to meet that fine balance mark for being close enough for happiness, but distant enough for a person to experience life for themselves.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I'm mostly indifferent to my family. They don't really know me, and I don't really know them. Well, maybe that's not true. My brothers know me a lot more than my dad, though. My dad just deals with the mask I wear around him. I don't feel comfortable being myself around him. He probably thinks that's who I am, though. Clown.

Tolkin

Meowstic
    Years
  • I love my family to death. We never leave anyone behind :) No matter how stressed out we are, our family is always in-tact. Even if half my family is in the Philippines, we are always together. Forever.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I treat my family like I treat friends - treat me badly for long enough and I won't talk to you anymore, treat me well (or even not badly, honestly) and we'll be cool. So I'm cool with my great aunt and my mom and I are best friends, and I don't talk to my sister. There's really no one else in our family so those are the only relevant people.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I love my parents and my little brother and I get along with them fine. Sometimes I just get so annoyed, but lately I've been trying (and have been successful) to not be such a ♥♥♥♥♥ because I know even though they can be annoying they really love me and care about me. I have an older sister who moved out a few years ago because she's much older than me. I don't hate her I just don't like her most of the time which is like the most basic way for me to put it.

Besides that I have a cousin I hang out with a lot and I also love my grandparents. All family members after that I either don't mind them, don't care about them, or just dislike very strongly.

Years
  • I've been fortunate enought to have grown up with a very-tight knit family. My cousins are essentially siblings to me and I'm almost as close with my aunts/uncles/grandparents as I am with my parents. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • I'm only really close to my mother and that's because we've been through everything together. Literally everything. Struggles with jobs, shaky living situations, an arrest, and various other difficulties that come to people that have no direction in life. Thankfully those troubles have lead to a far more stable environment the past five years and they brought us really close in those times especially when neither of us could really count on anyone else in our lives. I'm kinda close to my sister but ever since she moved we've drifted, but before that we were like best friends. And speaking of, my mother and I are seriously like best friends, haha. We tell each other everything about our lives and we speak to each other kinda like brother and sister... that's kind of weird, I guess, but it works for us.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • I am pretty distant with my father. He's a loving father and all, but since he works most of the week, we're not that close. It's as if there's this awkward silence whenever my father's around.

My youngest brother is more of a care-hate relationship.

I'm really close with the other members of my core family.

My relatives? Not so much.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I guess I'm close to them. *shrug* Like, I'm really close to my dad. The thing is, my parents have a tendency to not understand me very well. It's hard living with them sometimes, yet I need their support, or I can't support myself This is due to disability reasons. So, I guess in some way though, I am close to them. It just depends on your definition of the word too. It's hard to explain. ><

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I've become a lot closer to my family since I moved out. I couldn't really stand them when I was living with them but that was probably due to the fact that a 20-something still living with their parents is not a viable situation indefinitely.

But we're all much happier and closer now. I'm going to lunch with Mum today actually!

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I'm very close to my immediate family, maybe because we moved around a fair bit when I was younger and didn't often know a lot of people outside of each other at first each time. My brother is still one of my closest friends, despite our 5 year age gap. I tell my mom absolutely anything and everything going on in my life. I guess I'm not quite as close to my dad but we share similar senses of humour and we get along very well, so we're still close.

My extended family... well, only one aunt lives in the same city as my parents (and my cousin/her daughter, I guess? I'm not sure where she is now) so I guess I probably see her the most. The rest of my family mostly lives out in western Canada so I only see them once every year or two (or three). Some live even farther. (I have an aunt and cousin in Korea that I've never met and I'm still not convinced they're real, hahaha.) I get along fairly well with my mom's side of the family, but I've seen my dad's side a lot less over the years so it's kind of awkward when I see them now because I've got almost nothing in common with any of them--all the cousins are much older than my brother and I, too. I wouldn't say I'm close to my extended family at all, which kind of sucks because most of them are very close to each other since they all grew up in the same area except for me.

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    I'm neutral towards my family most of the time. I have no common interests with any of them and I'm generally not a social person so I almost never talk to them unless they ask me what I want to eat.

I'd like to move out but the fact that I'm 17 (in 2 months), I don't have a job and I can't cook or drive gets in the way of that.

Years
  • It's weird. I like my family just fine, I'm just... bad at talking to them. Hate calling people; I have nothing new and interesting to say anyway. I love seeing them when I can, but I live so far away from them all and I can't drive. If I could go out there more often, I think I would. I do love them, but they probably think I hate them or something. :(
    My sister is the only one I keep in any sort of regular contact with; I text her and/or talk to her over Twitter like once a week at least. She's a lot better about staying in touch with my parents and extended family. Sometimes I wonder if they ask her how I'm doing.

I am not close with any of my extended family on my father's side of the family, except maybe my grandma. I have a few of them added on Facebook and I'm like "what who are you people again?" It's hard because I'm hardly ever in their area, and when we are, we're usually visiting my mom's family instead.
    On my mother's, there's my grandparents, my aunt and her family, an uncle, and then a few great aunts and uncles I know.
    And then with my stepdad, I have a grandma and an uncle I see pretty much every time I visit my parents.

The older I get, the more I realize I'm a terrible person. :(

Poki

Banned
    Years
  • Officially moved out of the ♥♥♥♥hole I called home this morning. I live at my grandparents' now.

I don't get along with anyone on my mum's side of the family. Never have, never will. I absolutely detest these people!

Last edited:
    Back