• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Clones good or bad?

POKEMASTERALEX

Pokemon Master.
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 12, 2019
Hey Team I'm trying to complete the Alpha Sapphire Pokedex and I don't really like the idea of getting clones of legends. I realize there are a few that can only be obtained through events that have passed and those are the only ones I'd consider obtaining clones of.

What do you guys think about this?

I want to finish my dex and put in the work, you know? I don't want to just acquire a ton of legends. I'd feel better if the person trading it to me requested another rare pokemon so we could either trade or trade and trade back.

Thoughts?

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Personally, I am fine with clones! It's cool having original events, but if I didn't actually acquire it myself, I'd have to be taking someone's word for it that it was original and uncloned, which you can never honestly be too sure of. I'd rather have obtained it myself, which isn't really possible for a lot of things and reasons :P Anyway, I think this might fit in our trading forum more, because it's not ORAS specific :)

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
Hacks and clones differs a lot for me. I don't see any problem with clones as they are exact copy from the legit ones. As long as nothing is obtain by cheats and hack methods, everything is all good. :)

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 13, 2017
(Sorry about my english ><)

For me... Really, theres exceptions, but I don't like it. Events and legend (for dex ONLY) are okay to me, since they can't be obtained in other way. But then, their value should go down, since you can get an infinity of them. No rarity anymore.

Wich is my second point. For me, cloning shinies and competitve Pokemon are a big NO NO. Shinies are valauble because they are rare. So why ? Competitive can be made and are HARD to breed. They are valuable because of the time it takes you to make them. So clones...

Personally, if I open a shop someday, I will ban clones, except for my dex completion (and I tought really seriously about it before saying that >< ) I mean... Gn. If you can obtain them legally (because for me, clones aren't hack but... Really near :/ ) just do it : Pokemon is a grinding game, isn't it ? (well, that's another debate. I know. >< )

Cakesu

Hyrule's Saviour
Years
I don't mind them at all. They're quite convenient for anyone who doesn't have time to spend on MMing for a shiny and wants to expand their collection without having to give the originals away.

And sure, it may make shinies and Legendaries / Events a little less valuable, especially shinies, but cloning isn't the only thing that has decreased their value, TSVs has made it all the more easy to get free 'non-cloned' shinies too. So nah, clones aren't all that bad, to be honest.

Reactions: Sun

POKEMASTERALEX

Pokemon Master.
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 12, 2019
(Sorry about my english ><)

For me... Really, theres exceptions, but I don't like it. Events and legend (for dex ONLY) are okay to me, since they can't be obtained in other way. But then, their value should go down, since you can get an infinity of them. No rarity anymore.

Wich is my second point. For me, cloning shinies and competitve Pokemon are a big NO NO. Shinies are valauble because they are rare. So why ? Competitive can be made and are HARD to breed. They are valuable because of the time it takes you to make them. So clones...

Personally, if I open a shop someday, I will ban clones, except for my dex completion (and I tought really seriously about it before saying that >< ) I mean... Gn. If you can obtain them legally (because for me, clones aren't hack but... Really near :/ ) just do it : Pokemon is a grinding game, isn't it ? (well, that's another debate. I know. >< )

I feel the same way. A sweet shiny means nothing anymore. Cool events that only you managed to get to mean nothing. Even really well trained pokemon like my Pikachu with max special attack and near max speed decreased value in a way!

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
I disagree, some continents and country do not provide events like Keldeo, Meloetta, Hoopa and Diancie. There's nothing wrong or such as lowering value with cloning event Pokémon. It's very easy, you tell people that you don't trade clones and that's that.

If there's anything that's lowering a Pokémon's value, it's a Pokémon created through any cheats. That's's how event Pokémon and shinies alike become cheap.

shayminskyforme88

Collecting Events
Years
It's a double edged sword to me. Cloning is good in such a way that it allows more event collectors to get a particular events as well as providing a safeguard in case of scam. The other side would be scammers who lie claiming something is uncloned and trading it to other people as something uncloned when it is in fact cloned. Personally, I actually trade for clones as I clone myself. I have saved my self a couple of times from being scammed out of my stuff since I cloned them. If someone would trade me something uncloned then that would be a bonus.

POKEMASTERALEX

Pokemon Master.
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 12, 2019
It's a double edged sword to me. Cloning is good in such a way that it allows more event collectors to get a particular events as well as providing a safeguard in case of scam. The other side would be scammers who lie claiming something is uncloned and trading it to other people as something uncloned when it is in fact cloned. Personally, I actually trade for clones as I clone myself. I have saved my self a couple of times from being scammed out of my stuff since I cloned them. If someone would trade me something uncloned then that would be a bonus.

I see what you're saying and the safeguard thing is very legit.

My overall point is that one of the biggest goals is to complete the pokedex. It's supposed to take work and cooperation between friends. However, I can literally go to the cloning thread and ask for any pokemon. That's the same as being gifted a complete pokedex. If someone were to use clones to finish off their dex, it doesn't count. Yes there are event only pokemon like genensect. The creators aren't stupid they know that. They will either release it in a another event or in-game. If they don't, they expect people to trade or trade and trade back.

I'd rather meet a guy online and see what he wants for his legit genensect. If he wants an IV bred pokemon trained with good evs and favorable moveset, then I'd get one and trade it to him. If he wants a rare shiny or a few shinies, i'd track those down. This way the dex it's something you've put time in to. I don't want to compile my dex, come up with 15 guys I need and then post them on a clone thread. I want to earn them.

That being said I love how pokecommunity is full of nice people and pokemon players who don't mind cloning and trading. I'm not discrediting their hard work at all. I love seeing fans work together. I'm just saying it doesn't feel like I earned the pokemon.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Want me to be honest?

For Pokémon findable in the games, go for the Pokémon yourself. If you trade, you may get a clone, but sometimes you'll find someone give you a legendary then restart to go catch it again. Some people are like that.

If you trade for those that are event-only, you better be ready to accept a clone. Many collectors with thousands of events only have thousands of events because they clone. Even with hundreds, it's only because of cloning. The exception is someone who has had the ability to acquire every single event since Generation III (usually with a very high budget for airline travel from Japan to South Korea to Taiwan to the US Gamestops to France to Germany back to Japan). And that probably doesn't exist since many are local (movie events, anyone?) and require in-person download; pre-orders for the movie tickets in Japan get you access to the many legendary Pokémon events in Japan, and those for instance will be highly sought-after. I'll consider myself extremely lucky if I even get clones of two of those myself, ever (there are six).

I myself lucked into Serena's Pancham today, myself; now I have to go find Ash's latest Pikachu from 7-11. And I'm cloning the Pancham to trade for it. And the Pikachu will be cloned. Big deal. You know how you get the event, right? It sends you a Wonder Card. There can be anywhere from 10 to 100,000 picked up, and every single one is created from scratch from the Wonder Cards. AR Wonder Cards? Legitimately downloaded Wonder Cards saved for easy pull from an AR device, and hard to identify in some cases. Ever use an AR code in Gen. IV or Gen. V? I tried a Shiny Eevee one day (and BTW, no, I have not traded these). I got every single one with different IV spreads. It creates Pokémon from scratch. It's sad that any event generated via older AR is virtually undetectable now; I looked up dates of some older events today and there is no date in Kalos at all. I have to hope, in the future, that data returns to provide legitimacy to these again, but right now, I could import and trade a Shiny Eevee and you'd have no idea it came from an AR code. It would be unique. It would be yours alone, no clones. But it would be a hack.

So for that reason, I have no problem with clones. The events are legitimate. They have just been duplicated. It could be argued that using AR hacks to create them yourself is exactly the same thing. For that reason, I never understand the fuss. But I play the game the legal way like everyone there does. And cloning is part of the game. If you don't take event clones, you're going to have a hard time finishing your Dex for those missing few. That's how the game is played with event trading since they can never be replaced once traded away.

Shinies? Not as important, unless again it's an event clone. Tanabata Jirachi 2014. Best Jirachi ever. But some cloners see Shinies as taboo for cloning. Anything normal? Almost no point unless it's 6IV, and that's only to save you having to spend two days breeding another one for someone else. Legendaries in game? I'd clone mine, but people don't often trade for those anyway, so again there's no point. I leave mine untouched should they ever be needed. If I use one, I clone it first. I actually had Rayquaza lose to Deoxys INTENTIONALLY to not gain experience. Funny, I know, but Deoxys can be found later. Did this for Zekrom and Reshiram in Unova as well. They must hate me. LOL Ditto? Heck yeah. If you get a 6IV one, put a crown on it and have it live in the daycare. It will be your breeding superstar. If it's Shiny and foreign, clone it and flaunt it. It's very possible they are Pokégenned, but I see it as you're basically going to inbreed whatever you get anyway, so any Ditto at the start of the chain is canceled out anyway. Shane that my HA one didn't get in from Gen. V. Had to get a new one. Too bad the first was a hack.

I see what you're saying and the safeguard thing is very legit.

My overall point is that one of the biggest goals is to complete the pokedex. It's supposed to take work and cooperation between friends. However, I can literally go to the cloning thread and ask for any pokemon. That's the same as being gifted a complete pokedex. If someone were to use clones to finish off their dex, it doesn't count. Yes there are event only pokemon like genensect. The creators aren't stupid they know that. They will either release it in a another event or in-game. If they don't, they expect people to trade or trade and trade back.
I'm going to correct you here.

If you go to the cloning thread, you have to supply the Pokémon to be cloned. I'm a cloner. I don't take requests from people saying, "I need a Deoxys, can you clone one for me?" That doesn't mean I'll not be happy to give someone a cloned Deoxys (and please don't all bombard me asking now). The point of the cloning thread is that YOU already have a Deoxys to clone. We clone it for you. You can then give it to other people. How do I know this? I'm one of the cloners. We don't give people a Pokédex on request. Could I? Easily (though it would take an entire day to do it). Would I? No way. Requests have to be for Pokémon acquired by the cloner by the requesting party, and then cloned. We send both (or more) sets back. Occasionally I throw in free gifts. I'm a nice guy like that.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 24, 2017
Cloning is aight I guess.
It's not something I'd do myself, though I wouldn't be averse to using a cloned Ditto for breeding.
I suppose it kinda devalues the rarity of shinies, or the exclusivity of event Pokemon, but people want what they want.

Injecting is what I'd be opposed to though.

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
Years
Don't have any problems with AR-based ways to get those Pokemons, getting clones or anything related. If you have fun with it, and enjoy your game more after that, then its ofcourse no problem.

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
Years
  • Age 33
  • PA
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
considering every generation has had a clone glitch, including the current one, i'm pretty sure its safe too assume gamefreak puts them in there on purpose.
especially give how the current clone glitch is one of the same ones from back in the time of the gb/gbc/gbp.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
Years
  • Age 42
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 9, 2021
Cloning is fine as long as you're clear its a clone, I've managed to get all the legit UK events since having OR and have happily cloned them for people when doing trades. I've also cloned my entire dex and sent a copy to bank and my Pokemon Y cart so if ever my game messed up id still have all my mons.

I'm always clear though that they are clones and dont deceive people, the same with breeding If ive bred it ill say its bred if ive bred it and cloned it ill say its a clone.

Years
I think clones are good! I myself clone a lot and operate my entire trade shop through cloning.
I use to breed competitive pokes, but I don't really have any time to anymore :p
Because of cloning I've managed to get a complete shiny Dex and countless competitive pokes

Does it devalue the pokemon? In short, yes
However, bare this in mind, over the past week I've given away 20+ shiny pokes, legendairies and events to users who didn't have anything to trade for free.
Because, well, why not?

it helps other users get more value out of their game and prevents me from taking a loss, so to be honest I'd say it's better to exist than not, but it really depends on who is able to clone. :p

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
Years
I think clones are good! I myself clone a lot and operate my entire trade shop through cloning.
I use to breed competitive pokes, but I don't really have any time to anymore :p
Because of cloning I've managed to get a complete shiny Dex and countless competitive pokes

Does it devalue the pokemon? In short, yes
However, bare this in mind, over the past week I've given away 20+ shiny pokes, legendairies and events to users who didn't have anything to trade for free.
Because, well, why not?

it helps other users get more value out of their game and prevents me from taking a loss, so to be honest I'd say it's better to exist than not, but it really depends on who is able to clone. :p

Sorry have to chime in on this quote, it does not devalue the pokemon at all, it's an exact replica of the original, there is nothing wrong with clones at all in mind that is why I offer that service here, it does help those who have shops and want to keep what they have and give out to those in need or just starting out.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
I personally dont feel one way or another about cloned Pokemon. I won't do the cloning myself, but I won't shy away from, say, a cloned Pokeball/GTS Vivillon. The main thing that would upset me, though, is if someone tried to pass a cloned Pokemon as legit.

Other than that, the fact that it devalues the Pokemon doesn't really bother me.

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
Years
I personally don't mind cloning, and am thinking of taking it up myself. I remember back in Diamond/Pearl games I had collected 450+ of the Pokedex all by myself (didn't have wifi to do GTS, so I had to borrow friends' old RSE games), and while it was satisfying, it's not something I'd recommend to someone who just wants to enjoy the game. Therefore, I think cloning may even be beneficial for the Pokémon community.

DarkSkys

Still Alone, Still Alive, Still Unbroken
Years
Cloned or not, I can tell the difference. As for the games now, I'd say there's plenty of clones in the GTS.

Back