• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Singles OU team

Years
  • After building and using my first team with help from this community, I have gained several experiences, and decided to build another (hopefully) more functional team. From what I have understood, variety is king in pokemon teams, therefore that is what Im going for in the next team I want to build. Though Heatran and Excadrill can be a fun combination, they can easily be stopped by the same Pokemon, and that is why I want to have a team with lots of variety between the pokemons. I also want to focus on lots of different moves, so I can counter pokemons that are only week to one thing. In my previous team, I struggled to kill pokemons that were weak to fighting and water. I dont want that to repeat itself :P

This is my current team:

Sableye @ Sablenite
    Ability: Prankster
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
    Bold Nature
    - Dark Pulse
    - Calm Mind
    - Recover
    - Will-O-Wisp

Heatran @ Air Balloon
    Ability: Flash Fire
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
    Modest Nature
    - Ancient Power
    - Stealth Rock
    - Flash Cannon
    - Lava Plume

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
    Relaxed Nature
    IVs: 0 Spe
    - Leech Seed
    - Protect
    - Gyro Ball
    - Spikes

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Hurricane
    - Grass Knot
    - Dark Pulse
    - Sludge Wave

Excadrill @ BrightPowder
    Ability: Mold Breaker
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Iron Head
    - Rock Slide
    - Rapid Spin

Clefable @ Leftovers
    Ability: Magic Guard
    Bold Nature
    - Calm Mind
    - Moonblast
    - Flamethrower
    - Soft-Boiled

From this team, the pokemon I liked the most were Clefable, therefore I want to use it in my next team. I have also tested out Landarous T a bit, and I liked it very much, so maybe you can help me integrate it into my next team as well . Hopefully some of you can help me with this :)

Years
  • After building and using my first team with help from this community, I have gained several experiences, and decided to build another (hopefully) more functional team. From what I have understood, variety is king in pokemon teams, therefore that is what Im going for in the next team I want to build. Though Heatran and Excadrill can be a fun combination, they can easily be stopped by the same Pokemon, and that is why I want to have a team with lots of variety between the pokemons. I also want to focus on lots of different moves, so I can counter pokemons that are only week to one thing. In my previous team, I struggled to kill pokemons that were weak to fighting and water. I dont want that to repeat itself :P

This is my current team:

Sableye @ Sablenite
    Bold Nature
    - Dark Pulse
    - Calm Mind
    - Recover
    - Will-O-Wisp

Heatran @ Air Balloon
    Modest Nature
    - Ancient Power
    - Stealth Rock
    - Flash Cannon
    - Lava Plume

Relaxed Nature
    - Leech Seed
    - Protect
    - Gyro Ball
    - Spikes

Timid Nature
    - Hurricane
    - Grass Knot
    - Dark Pulse
    - Sludge Wave

Excadrill @ BrightPowder
    Jolly Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Iron Head
    - Rock Slide
    - Rapid Spin

Clefable @ Leftovers
    Bold Nature
    - Calm Mind
    - Moonblast
    - Flamethrower
    - Soft-Boiled

From this team, the pokemon I liked the most were Clefable, therefore I want to use it in my next team. I have also tested out Landarous T a bit, and I liked it very much, so maybe you can help me integrate it into my next team as well . Hopefully some of you can help me with this :)

Sableye:
    My Mega Sableye set isn't necessarily BETTER than yours, but you might wanna try it out. It's been really useful for me. Yours is fine, but, y'know, ideas.
    Sableye @Sablenite
    252 HP/252 SPDEF/ 4 DEF
    Ability: Prankster ---> Magic Bounce
    Nature: Bold
    - Taunt
    - Will-o-Wisp
    - Night Shade
    - Recover
    With this EV spread, Sableye can check physical and special attackers equally effectively - the maxed-out SPDEF EVs and Will-o-Wisp guard against special and physical hits respectively. By not using Calm Mind and Dark Pulse, this build lacks a hell of a lot of power, but Night Shade deals a nice constant 50 damage every hit to anything that's not Normal-type. This also frees up a slot for Taunt, which is freakin' INDISPENSABLE in Gen 6's hyper-defensive metagame.
    If you do try out my build, I recommend sticking with regular Sableye and only Mega Evolving it if absolutely necessary. Against most physical attackers, Will-o-Wisp is more than enough for Sableye to stay alive, and priority Recover is OP as hell. When you DO go Mega, probably do it against a special sweeper like Keldeo or Greninja.

Heatran:
    It might be a good idea to slap Protect on Heatran, to scout for any moves that will pop your Air Balloon, or any nasty Ground-type moves after it's popped. Consider replacing Ancient Power.

Tornadus:
    Not gonna lie - Hurricane's quite a risky move to use because it misses so much. Try Air Slash instead - It still deals really good damage, and has a bonus chance of flinching your opponent.

Excadrill:
    I've never used one, but most people will tell you to give your Excadrill a Choice Scarf and teach it U-Turn. It helps keep your momentum, and it's really good for taking down weakened opponents.

Clefable:
    Wish + Protect gives not only recovery to Clefable itself, but if you use Wish and then switch, your new Pokemon will be healed. It's really useful. I recommend:
    - Moonblast
    - Wish
    - Protect
    - Calm Mind

Years
  • Excadrill:
    I've never used one, but most people will tell you to give your Excadrill a Choice Scarf and teach it U-Turn. It helps keep your momentum, and it's really good for taking down weakened opponents.

Excadrill can't learn U-turn.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • IMO, defensive Heatran makes better use out of Lava Plume than offensive variants, as it has much better bulk to spam it safely:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Lava Plume
    -Toxic
    -Protect/Taunt/Roar
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 248 HP/192 SDef/68 Spe
    Item: Leftovers

Offensive Heatran sets are better off using Fire Blast for the extra power or Magma Storm to trap potential counters:
    -Magma Storm
    -Earth Power
    -Taunt
    -Toxic/Solar Beam
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/Air Balloon/Power Herb

Or
    -Fire Blast/Magma Storm
    -Flash Cannon/Hidden Power (Ice)/Stone Edge
    -Earth Power
    -Stealth Rock
    Item: Air Balloon

(Note: even with a Timid nature, Heatran still OHKOes Charizard Y and Talonflame with Stone Edge. Earth Power is pretty much a requirement for offensive Heatran sets so it won't get walled by opposing Heatran)

Therian Tornadus has no use for Dark Pulse at all. Even though Knock Off runs off Therian Tornadus' weaker attacking stat, it overshadows Dark Pulse because it removes non-Mega Stone items, which is darn helpful nowadays. It also has better coverage options than Sludge Wave and Grass Knot. Hurricane already hits Fairy Pokemon hard enough, while outside of the occasional Rhyperior, Seismitoad and Mega Swampert, Grass Knot is useless:
    -Hurricane
    -Focus Blast/Superpower
    -Knock Off
    -U-turn
    Nature: Timid/Hasty
    EVs: 96 HP/160 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Assault Vest

Or
    -Hurricane
    -Focus Blast/Superpower
    -Knock Off
    -U-turn
    Nature: Hasty
    EVs: 76 Atk/180 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

Luck/hax items are frowned down upon in competitive play, like Bright Powder, so change Excadrill's item to Air Balloon or Choice Scarf.

Edit: Water and Fighting resists to include in the team include Latios, Dragalge or Dragonite:

Latios:
    -Draco Meteor
    -Psyshock
    -Surf/Hidden Power (Fire)/Earthquake/Roost
    -Defog/Roost
    Nature: Timid/Hasty

Or
    -Calm Mind
    -Draco Meteor
    -Psyshock
    -Surf/Roost

Or
    -Draco Meteor
    -Psyshock
    -Hidden Power (Fire)/Defog
    -Trick
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Scarf

Dragalge:
    -Sludge Wave
    -Draco Meteor
    -Focus Blast/Hidden Power (Fire)
    -Toxic Spikes/Scald
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 228 HP/252 SAtk/28 Spe
    Item: Black Sludge/Draco Plate/Dragon Fang/Choice Specs
    Ability: Adaptability

Or
    -Toxic Spikes
    -Sludge Wave
    -Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
    -Scald
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 248 HP/232 SDef/28 Spe
    Item: Black Sludge
    Ability: Adaptability

Dragonite:
    -Outrage
    -Extreme Speed
    -Earthquake
    -Fire Punch
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Band
    Ability: Multiscale

Or
    -Dragon Dance
    -Outrage
    -Earthquake
    -Extreme Speed
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Lum Berry

Or
    -Dragon Claw
    -Fire Punch/Superpower
    -Extreme Speed
    -Roost
    EVs: 216 HP/64 Atk/228 SDef
    Item: Leftovers

Last edited:
    Years

This is my current team:

Sableye @ Sablenite
    Bold Nature
    - Dark Pulse
    - Calm Mind
    - Recover
    - Will-O-Wisp

Heatran @ Air Balloon
    Modest Nature
    - Ancient Power
    - Stealth Rock
    - Flash Cannon
    - Lava Plume

Relaxed Nature
    - Leech Seed
    - Protect
    - Gyro Ball
    - Spikes

Timid Nature
    - Hurricane
    - Grass Knot
    - Dark Pulse
    - Sludge Wave

Excadrill @ BrightPowder
    Jolly Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Iron Head
    - Rock Slide
    - Rapid Spin

Clefable @ Leftovers
    Bold Nature
    - Calm Mind
    - Moonblast
    - Flamethrower
    - Soft-Boiled

Sableye:
    My Mega Sableye set isn't necessarily BETTER than yours, but you might wanna try it out. It's been really useful for me. Yours is fine, but, y'know, ideas.
    Sableye @Sablenite
    252 HP/252 SPDEF/ 4 DEF
    Ability: Prankster ---> Magic Bounce
    Nature: Bold
    - Taunt
    - Will-o-Wisp
    - Night Shade
    - Recover
    With this EV spread, Sableye can check physical and special attackers equally effectively - the maxed-out SPDEF EVs and Will-o-Wisp guard against special and physical hits respectively. By not using Calm Mind and Dark Pulse, this build lacks a hell of a lot of power, but Night Shade deals a nice constant 50 damage every hit to anything that's not Normal-type. This also frees up a slot for Taunt, which is freakin' INDISPENSABLE in Gen 6's hyper-defensive metagame.
    If you do try out my build, I recommend sticking with regular Sableye and only Mega Evolving it if absolutely necessary. Against most physical attackers, Will-o-Wisp is more than enough for Sableye to stay alive, and priority Recover is OP as hell. When you DO go Mega, probably do it against a special sweeper like Keldeo or Greninja.

Heatran:
    It might be a good idea to slap Protect on Heatran, to scout for any moves that will pop your Air Balloon, or any nasty Ground-type moves after it's popped. Consider replacing Ancient Power.

Tornadus:
    Not gonna lie - Hurricane's quite a risky move to use because it misses so much. Try Air Slash instead - It still deals really good damage, and has a bonus chance of flinching your opponent.

Excadrill:

Clefable:
    Wish + Protect gives not only recovery to Clefable itself, but if you use Wish and then switch, your new Pokemon will be healed. It's really useful. I recommend:
    - Moonblast
    - Wish
    - Protect
    - Calm Mind
    Tbh I'm not really looking to improve the current team, but rather build a new team, but I'll make sure to try it out some time

Years
  • Latinos looks like a Pokémon that I'll check out, is it something I can change out for. Do you have any suggestions for Pokes that can replace tornadus?
    @PlatinumDude

Back