• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Klefki's Tier

Years
  • Am I the only one who thinks Klefki should be in OU?
    It probably is .. I haven't checked lately, but what do you think?
    It's OP in my personal opinion.

Redingard

The Rider Breeds Pokemon
    Years
  • "Opinion"

That's the keyword here. It's simply an opinion. It has no amazing stats, it's just juseful. Just like most Pokemon. Tyranitar could just as easily be described as OP as Klefki, all because it's someone's opinion. But neither of them are. Klefki can easily be taken out with an Earthquake or Flamethrower-two very common moves. Nor can Klefki hit hard. If you're smart, you take it out fast so that it can't set up death for the rest of your team. It certainly isn't OP, just look at its stats on Bulbapedia or something.

Years
  • Yes, but give it a focus sash and it's a great Pokemon to set up.
    Besides, in all competitive battles I've been in, Klefki has been used.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Klefki has a wide range of attacks in its movepool, so it could be a pretty good Pokémon if utilized correctly. However, its stats seem to be a little inferior when compared to other Pokémon like Scizor, Charizard, and Lucario. Klefki's HP and defenses are quite low, and can be taken down instantly with moves like Close Combat, Brave Bird, and Double-Edge. d: Also, since this thread is more related to competitive battling, I'm moving this over to Battle Center.

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2015
    It could probably be UU at most. It's good but it just doesn't seem good enough for OU

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
  • The only thing that Klefki has going for it is the fact that it gets the Prankster Ability. While its typing is not that bad, its movepool is quite shallow and unimpressive. It is outclassed by other prankster users such as Tornadus and even Sableye. Which get crippling moves ( Will-o-Wisp), tailwind, and recover on Sableye.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    It would be decent except Defog and better spinners i.e MegaToise kinda ruins it, that and it has no reliable recovery so id sooner use something like Skarm and whatnot for Spikes. I guess the priority on Spikes is nice but still too easy to stop and definitely not OP lol.

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
  • Personally, I can just see Klefki being to this generation what Sabeleye was to previous generations, albeit slightly better as it has Spikes etc. (however it can be debated that Sabeleye is better, I'm just giving my opinion). Therefore I see it being UU at best, but I can see it being run on OU teams, I'm considering using one on my personal competitive team because it puts in a hell of a lot of work for me atm on Showdown, Klefki is useful and not as bad a Pokémon as I feared on first look. After all as the saying goes don't judge a keyring by its keys.. wait that doesn't sound right?

zygardian harbinger

The One and Only
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2017
    In my battling, I actually haven't seen Klefki used all too much, although as a Steel- and Fairy-type, it does have a wide range of resistances to types. Its Prankster ability is quite useful, and it has decent stats for its Defense, Sp. Def. and Sp. Atk. I don't necessarily see it as OP in UU. But it would be one of the better Pokemon in that tier...

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Ok well ill just bump this topic.

Klefki will probably be ou, after facing this set

Klefki@Leftovers **SwagKey
    Prankster
    Max HP / Defensive ev spread
    - Substitute / Torment
    - Swagger
    - Thunderwave
    - Foul Play / Protect

Annoying af, anyone faced it yet?

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I was just looking this up about 10 minutes ago, I definitely see Klefki having the potential to be part of the OU tier. It does have a lot of potential and it has some great niches.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
  • Ok well ill just bump this topic.

Klefki will probably be ou, after facing this set

Klefki@Leftovers **SwagKey
    Prankster
    Max HP / Defensive ev spread
    - Substitute / Torment
    - Swagger
    - Thunderwave
    - Foul Play / Protect

Annoying af, anyone faced it yet?

Thousands of times, just on Liepard. >.> But that set didn't get Liepard to OU so idk if it will for Klefki. Better typing though I guess.

Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2016
    Foul play is to stop certain pokemon that could come in on Klefki and set up, despite not getting STAB from this move it is still a great asset.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    It's kinda hard to tell what tier some Pokemon will go into in the early stages of a new metagame. I'll say that I think Klefki will be UU, and one of the more frequently used UU pokemon. But I could be wrong. Nobody really knows until extensive testing is done.

Also:
    ku-xlarge.png

xxIGNorant

Lumiya's Royal Stormtrooper
    Years
  • I'm using Klefki on my Pokebank OU team with a lot of success. I don't know if I missed it earlier in the thread, but I didn't see anyone mention the use of dual screens. Set up the appropriate screen for the enemy Pokemon facing you, and proceed to lay down Spikes.
    Here is the spread + moveset I use:
    Klefki @ Light Clay
    Ability: Prankster
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Bold Nature
    - Spikes
    - Foul Play
    - Light Screen
    - Reflect
    Even if he gets 2HKO'd through the screen, he'll have at least one layer of spikes up and the screen(s) in place for use by the rest of the team

Ársa

k.
    Years
  • I'm using Klefki on my Pokebank OU team with a lot of success. I don't know if I missed it earlier in the thread, but I didn't see anyone mention the use of dual screens. Set up the appropriate screen for the enemy Pokemon facing you, and proceed to lay down Spikes.
    Here is the spread + moveset I use:
    Klefki @ Light Clay
    Ability: Prankster
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Bold Nature
    - Spikes
    - Foul Play
    - Light Screen
    - Reflect
    Even if he gets 2HKO'd through the screen, he'll have at least one layer of spikes up and the screen(s) in place for use by the rest of the team

If you're going to run Foul Play, I'd suggest alongside Swagger + T-Wave, as D_A posted above. Your set is walled especially by Mandibuzz, but in general most defog users (as outside of Braviary they lack a decent Atk stat). T-Wave is necessary to at least do SOMETHING to opposing defog users, and is one of the few things that Klefki is able to do which isn't reversed by a simple defog. If you pick a single screen and cater its nature and EV's to suit, then Klefki can at least cripple opposing threats behind your screen. IMO there are far better spikes users than Klefki - including Roserade, who now has access to Spikes + Sleep Powder this gen.

Back