• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pokéstar Studios

Years
  • In Black 2 and White 2, we have another one of those side quest things (like contests, musicals, etc), this one in the form of movie creation, with Pokéstar Studios. As you visit it during the main story after beating Roxie, you make a movie with Pokémon you're given and then afterward, you get to create more and the outcomes are determined based on how you use the lines given to you. And you can even make strange endings that deviate from the script given, and afterward you can get decent items from the people in the lobby.

I was compelled to make this topic after I made a movie for the SA event. Anyway, what do you think of Pokéstar Studios? Is there something you'd add to it to make it more enjoyable? Or are you one of those that goes "BOOOO HAND-HOLDING WASTE OF TIME F*** THIS PLACE!!!"? Discuss.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    HOW DID I MISS THIS THREAD?!

As some of you have heard me say before, I love PokeStar Studios. I think it is one of the best side quest things in Pokemon to date. Way better than the Musicals of Black/White, and better than the Contests of Gens 3 and 4. For whatever reason, I found this particular side quest rather enjoyable. Some of the movie plots were actually pretty good (ones like Ghost Erasers, Mystery Doors of the Magical Land, and Full Metal Cop come to mind), and it was great that you can watch what you just made (since you don't know exactly what the movie will be like until after you're done filming it) and that you get recognition for it from fans.

My only complaint is that it sometimes adheres a little too strictly to the general battle format of the games; sometimes it still looks too much like a typical battle scene, and I could do without the text popping up during the movie for things like "XXXX was hurt by poision!" or "It's super-effective!".

I don't understand why they didn't include it in X/Y; would've been perfect, what with the fact that the regional Champion is also a world-famous actress....

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I had fun doing the movies in Pokestar Studios. Before I went to Castelia, I did as many of the scenes as I could to get free healing items that were useful later on.

Years
  • While I enjoyed the Musicals to a varying degree, the Pokéstar was also cool in a couple ways, namely the unpredictability of what you'll watch back as already mentioned, as well as the fans you gain and recognition outside of being a top Pokémon trainer (kinda like being a Pokéathlete in the Pokéathlon which still remains my favourite sidequest along with Contests). Not to mention, the fact that Brycen is involved in the movies is majorly cool (although that could be cause he's one of my favourite Unova Gym Leaders lol) :)

Years
  • When I first learned of PokeStar Studios, I thought it was such a cool idea, being able to shoot movies with your Pokemon and could hardly wait to get my chance XD Even now, I still think it's a pretty interesting feature and is a good way to pass the time, though like with many timewasters in Pokemon, it has its drawbacks. But first, the things I liked about it: movie making aside, I liked how you could make sequels of some of your successful films rather than just make all one-shot movies. I liked some of the plot lines; even if they were cliche, they were funny. (Especially the Soviet Russia Pokemon-style one where Pokemon trains YOU.) Finally, I liked that there wasn't just a "good end" (following the script to a "t") and a "bad end" (which happens due to making the wrong choice when given multiple lines and whatnot), but a third ending that came when you deviated from the script. I liked that fans gave you items for successful productions.

On the flip side, I was confused was how much money a movie was able to make. And that you didn't get some of that money. Even now I'm still completely uncertain as to how to earn more money for a film, unless using your own Pokemon is how you go about doing it XD (I never got around to being in PokeStar films after I did all the initial ones.) I also didn't like how it was all battle with some talking. I mean, there probably isn't much you could do, but maybe they could've always combined some aspects from the Pokeathlon and have running scenes or something. I dunno, having more than battles would've made it more enjoyable XD Lastly, I didn't like how you always had to start with rentals, but I guess it sort of makes sense, plus it wasn't a huge drawback, haha.

I sort of wish PokeStar did return to XY; the PR Videos are pretty cool, but just imagine being able to shoot films and watch them in 3D <3

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    I'm gonna admit I never watched the movie at all that you have to produce as Riolu-Man/Woman. Was pretty cool though. I've seen the other stuff that you can do, and I really want to try it out. Hopefully I can get the TM fly though, because I can't really get back (well I could but it would take freaking ages).

The Tyranitar one looks amazing. That was one of the first ones I heard about. It just looks so cool! There's also that horror on with the pink zombies, haha. I've never seen that fully too! I heard the last part is a giant squid zombie in a graveyard. Totally gotta see that :o

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
    Years
  • Best. Side thing. Ever. I remember spending hours on it during my first night playing White 2. Yep, instead of continuing my journey and taking down Team Plasma, I made movies. Way more important, obviously. :P I was actually pretty sad when I saw people rush through it angrily and brush it off as nothing but a mere time-waster (gotta stop and smell the roses, yo!). I like that these are kind of like disguised puzzle battles (though they essentially spell out what to do); unfortunately, there's a huge element of luck in some of these that can make them frustrating.

The movies themselves were fun and silly. My favorite one was "Timegate Traveler", in which, as Yato mentioned, Pokémon trains YOU! The one where you built the first robot that can feel emotions, raised it like a child, but then have to destroy it because it went berserk is a sweet one. And off the top of my head, "The Giant Woman" and the one with the sassy Smeargle are some of the funnier ones. The different endings are really interesting as well! I haven't gotten all the strange endings yet, but it's fun trying to figure those out.

Also, you can make loads of cash from these! Old Gateaux can sell for 6,000 and Lava Cookies for 4,000 apiece on Route 5. I believe you get these in bunches too, so yeah. Too bad you can only sell them one at a time, but I guess it's a reward for the patient. Last I checked, I had like 400 of each of these; I'm probably not gonna sell them all, haha! With the money you can make from the Studios, it's a great combo with Join Avenue.

Oh, one last thing I remembered! Once you get your own private dressing room, there's this hidden list of old script titles, which are puns of real-world books and the like. I found this amusing. :P

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • Pokestar Studios was amazing! I only seriously began making movies during my second playthrough of Black 2 and only then found out how fun it really could be. I've made a few blockbuster movies before, as well as a few that turned out to be...not quite up to the director's expectations haha. I have not managed to complete all of the movies yet because my attention got diverted elsewhere, but after seeing this thread, I have a mind to go back and try the rest of the movies to see how they go.

Years
  • I maybe only did shoots at Pokéstar Studios before I left farther past Virbank City. I wasn't that good in a lot of them, but some of them I did good in. I thought it was just a neat way to keep playing the game but at the same time take a break from continuing the main storyline.

Back