• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hail Team! Please Critique!

Asrodrig

#1 Meowth fan
Years
  • I've always thought Hail-teams were cool. Let me know if you think this would work alright.

Lead: Abomasnow (Timid)
    Lum Berry, 4 Atk/252 SpA/252 Spe
    • Substitute
    • Leech Seed
    • Blizzard
    • Focus Punch

Sweeper: Mamoswine (Jolly)
    Life Orb, 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    • Earthquake
    • Ice Shard
    • Stone Edge
    • Stealth Rock

D-Wall: Cloyster (Impish)
    Leftovers, 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
    • Spikes
    • Rapid Spin
    • Rock Blast
    • Explosion

SpA-Sweeper: Glaceon (Modest)
    Lax Incense, 208 HP/252 SpA/48 Spe
    • Blizzard
    • Water Pulse
    • Hidden Power (Fighting)
    • Fake Tears

Staller: Froslass (Timid)
    Brightpowder, 248 HP/228 Def/32 Spe
    • Substitute
    • Thunder Wave
    • Blizzard
    • Confuse Ray

Sweeper: Weavile (Jolly)
    Expert Belt, 40 HP/252 Atk/216 Spe
    • Swords Dance
    • Ice Punch
    • Night Slash
    • Brick Break

Erufuun

apple bunny lover <3
    Years
  • Hm, I think you should give Glaceon a Choice Specs/Scarf, and then replace Fake Tears with Shadow ball!
    Everybody else looks good, though. c: Though, I would change Weavile's hold item to Life orb or even Focus Sash!

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2015
    On a hail team, its a VERY bad idea to have every poke with ice typing. This means that you have a huge weakness to fire, steel, fighting, and rock moves.(plus a huge weakness to stealth rock with no spinner) . Don't want to be harsh, but you should literally start from scratch with this team. Try things which resist above typing, e.g Heatran and celebi combo or bulky waters etc
    Also think of sweepers (non ice type) which benefit from hail. Hail is generally a defensive weather, so usually you are stalling and wearing away the enemies health while conserving your own.

A perfect example of a hail stall pokemon is wallrein:

Walrein @ Leftovers
    Ice body
    252hp 252def bold
    ~ Substitute
    ~ Protect
    ~ Roar
    ~ Surf/ Blizzard

If used right, you can rack up tons of damage from hail. I think it works well with entry hazards and roar, but toxic could replace that. Surf/Blizzard is preference.

You pretty much need a rapid spinner on a hail team (even with a couple of ice types), so try Starmie which fits the idea or resisting types that hurt ice pokemon:

Starmie @ Leftovers
    Natural cure
    252hp 252spe 4spA timid
    ~ Rapid Spin
    ~ Recover
    ~ Surf/Hydro Pump
    ~ Thunderbolt

Also toxic spikes are great with hail stall teams.

There's some good articles on smogon about hail stall which are way more detail than ^, but that's the basics.:)

Asrodrig

#1 Meowth fan
    Years
  • Hm, well I've got Cloyster to Rapid Spin, and I've got Froslass to stop the other team from Rapid Spinning as well. Maybe if I just took out Weavile and threw in something to cover the different types that have an advantage against ice. Do you think a Swampert would cut it?

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
    Years
  • Walrein>Cloyster. With a certain Walrein hail set, you can stall for 32 turns in total. That garuntees like 2 KOs of something. Starmie also outclasses Walrein as a spinner and can deal with Lucario that can onw your team.

You have no counter to hail's biggest nemesis - Tyranitar. If the opponent has a Tyranitar, you're done for. Other things that you really need to look out for but don't have anything to deal with are Infernape, Lucario, Breloom, Zapdos, Scizor, and Heatran. A team with the most common duo at it's core, Scizor and Heatran, laugh at this team. So, really you kind of need to rebuild your team.

Abomasnow is a good palce to start, because it starts the fun up for you. To go with it, I'd put in Tentacruel to lay down Toxic Spikes and also absorb opponent Toxic Spikes. It can also Rapid Spin, and is a great place to start. Next, we obviously need to the infamous Walrein, or as some call it, Stallrein or even Wallrein. Next, to deal with Lucario, Scizor, and Breloom I'd recommend getting a Sleep Talking Rotom-H, or even a Choice Scarfed one. It can also act as a Rapid Spinner to ensure your opponents do not spin away your Toxic Spikes. You still need a way to deal with Heatran, Tyrintar, and Zapdos. Swampert is key. It can deal with both of them with it's STAB Earthquake or even STAB Surf, and can lay down Stealth Rock (Which strip Zapdos of 25% of it's health or something) Zapdos can't do much to it, so it can just keep phazing it out so it accumalates hail and Stealth Rock damage. So, so far we have Abomasnow, Tentacruel, Walrein, Rotom-H, and Swampert. We still have one more Pokemon left! I'd recommend Mamoswine. Mamoswine can power through other team in the Hail, as it's evasion is boosted by 20%! It can also use Blizzard to 2HKO it's usua counters like Skarmory.

tl;dr...

Keep Abomasnow
    Blizzard > Stealth Rock on Mamoswine
    Walrein and Tentacruel > Cloyster
    Rotom-H > Glaceon
    Swampert > Froslass
    Take away Weavile

Asrodrig

#1 Meowth fan
    Years
  • Great, thanks for the help. I'm not going to use Rotom, because I don't know where to get one and it looks stupid tbh. But I do like the rest of your suggestions, so now my team is looking more like this:

Spr_4p_460_m.png

Lead: Abomasnow (Jolly)
    Lum Berry, 4 Atk/252 SpA/252 Spe
    • Substitute
    • Leech Seed
    • Blizzard
    • Focus Punch

Spr_4p_473_m.png

Sweeper: Mamoswine (Jolly)
    Life Orb, 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    • Earthquake
    • Ice Shard
    • Stone Edge
    • Blizzard

Spr_4d_365.png

Wall/Stall: Walrein (Bold)
    Leftovers, 220 HP/252 Def/36 SpD
    • Protect
    • Substitute
    • Blizzard
    • Roar

Spr_4h_073.png

Support: Tentacruel (Calm)
    Black Sludge, 252 HP/120 Def/136 SpD
    • Toxic Spikes
    • Rapid Spin
    • Surf
    • Blizzard

Spr_4p_471.png

SpA-Sweeper: Glaceon (Modest)
    Brightpowder, 208 HP/252 SpA/48 Spe
    • Blizzard
    • Water Pulse
    • Hidden Power (Fighting)
    • Fake Tears

Spr_4d_260.png

Tank: Swampert (Relaxed)
    Rindo Berry, 240 HP/216 Def/52SpD
    • Stealth Rock
    • Surf
    • Blizzard
    • Earthquake

Better?

Last edited:

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
    Years
  • You're not getting Rotom? It doesn't matter if it looks stupid and whatnot, it's you're only counter to Scizor, Breloom, Luke, etc. If you don't know how to catch it, go here.
    http://www.serebii.net/platinum/rotom.shtml
    Look up codes on Google. That's how I got mine. You'll need to catch Rotom in D/P/Pt first. If you can't, get someone to trade you one or hack one in. I think you can change the form in HG/SS without the key. Not sure, though.

Asrodrig

#1 Meowth fan
    Years
  • Seems like a lot more trouble than it's worth. I'm sure Swampert could take care of either Scizor or Lucario, and Breloom doesn't stand a chance against Tentacruel. Gyarados can be hit by Mamoswine's Stone Edge if it switches in, or by a Blizzard for neutral damage from anyone else. Tyranitar is the biggest threat to this list, since he not only stops the weather, but he can attack with rock attacks. Between Swampert and Tentacruel, I should be able to take care of him (especially if he steps on those Toxic Spikes).

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    -.-.--.-.--.-.--.-.--.-.--.-.--.-.--.-.--.-.--.-.--.-.--.-.--.-.--.-.--.-.--.-.--.-.--.-.--.-.--.-.--.-.--.-.--.-.-

Seems like a lot more trouble than it's worth. I'm sure Swampert could take care of either Scizor or Lucario,

No. Swords Dance Life Orb Close Combat OHKO's Swampert. Same with SD LO Bug Bite from Scizor. CB U-Turn also 2HKO's Swampert. Swampert cannot deal with either. Rotom is a bad counter to Lucario too due to Crunch.

Id really put in Nidoqueen or Gliscor over Swampert to deal with both T-Tar and said Luke along with Rotom in here to block Rapid Spin (which is needed as Walrein sucks without T-Spikes and SR) and to deal with Scizor.

and Breloom doesn't stand a chance against Tentacruel.

Seed Bomb 2hko's it. ._.

Comments in bold.

Back