• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] How would a SSB/Stadium hybrid game work?

Years
  • Hey everyone, I was wondering what people's opinions would be on a new Pokemon Video Game concept; A Super smash brothers/Pokemon Stadium Hybrid. Originally, I figured that Nintendo would eventually put more Pokemon into SSB, with over 500 possible characters to choose from. As time has continued, I see that Smash is about ALL Nintendo Franchises, so having too many Pokemon would kinda defeat the purpose.

So I came up with the Idea of basically using the Smash engine with all Pokemon, unlocking more as you defeat gym leaders , earn badges, explore new areas, and filling your pokedex. Type effectiveness would work like in the turn based games, so certain characters need to be swapped, mid battle still. Every Pokemon's moveset would start very basic. Just like in Pokemon, and as you level up and learn new moves, these would replace your "B" Specials (\/B, <B, >B, ^B, Neutral B)

Stats would be calculated just like in the pokemon games but by using a Nerfed down verison of SSB's Custom character stats. HP would be brought back as well, instead of having a %. So every match will be like a Stamina match in smash. Your Trainer runs around in the background like in SSB: Brawl, and at any moment you can choose a pokemon to send out and send into areas unavailable to your human self, taking control of your pokemon and solving "Adventure Mode" like areas, defeating wild pokemon and aiding your trainer in their navigation. Trainer's have platforming challenges and puzzles in towns as well, requiring you to speak to locals, which, obviously pokemon can't do as well, so your trainer enables the game to be more than just a beat 'em up game like smash and more plot based, while keeping the fun combat system in smash. Let me know if you guys have any ideas. Like, I said, Its only an Idea, but It's one that I wanted to share with you all.

Thanks,

-Fiyah Powah

Last edited by a moderator:

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • I'd recommend making a smaller scale prototype first in your engine of choice. I've had a similar idea in the past and it's definitely doable, but you really don't want to make functionality for all 721 Pokemon and all ~600 moves, especially for a fighting game styled like Smash without confirming its something you want to be involved in(and even then I'd strongly urge you not to use more than ~30)

Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2015
    My honest advice, and I know this is a little counterproductive, stray away from the fighting genre in general unless you're really experienced. Being a very physics-heavy, programming-intense type genre, it doesn't lead itself very well to creating fun, innovative new concepts.

If you want to ignore my honest advice, try sticking with something designed to do that. MUGEN is great if you're talking simple fighting, but if you want to do something like SSB, you're going to need something a little more tricky, like Unity or Python with Pygame. But those require learning entire programming languages to really get an engine going.

The easy approach with that, however, is to take bits and pieces of better code that you like, glue them together, see what sticks. But that requires lots of intense research into premade engines with the aforementioned scripting languages.

That's my advice from a good deal of experience.

Back