• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Basic guidelines to StarCraft II Multiplayer

TY

With StarCraft II becoming a F2P game, it gave me a reason to make a guide about the basics in general and of each race aswell.

There are 3 races who all operate different. The Terrans utilize conventional weapons, while the Zerg are primitvie and the Protoss use high-tech weapons.

To start off each race starts off with their main structure (Command Center for Terran, Nexus for Protoss and Hatchery for Zerg) and 6 workers. The Zerg also spawn in with a Overlord cause the Hatchery doesnt give enough supply on its own.

Basically you make a army within the supply limit, expand that limit with Pylons, Supply Depo's or Overlords and have a good economy by expanding.

The basics:

If you want a fully saturated base, you want 16 workers on minerals and 3 in each gas position. We will explain them later on as the timings may differ for each race. You collect 5 minerals and 4 gas on each trip of your workers, except with gold bases (with gold looking minerals). They give you 7 minerals on each run!

Always keep an eye on your Supply Limit. Always make some more Overlords/Pylons/Supply Depos when you almost reach your limit. The maximum you can reach in a normal game is 200.

Dont be afraid with expanding early on. This can actually turn into your favor as you have a better income and can produce stuff much faster. This is essential for the Zerg race as they want to be up one base against a Terran or a Protoss.

Keep an eye on the mini-map, it is your biggest friend. The mini-map (if you have a good view over the map) can spot enemy forces for you and where they will strike so you can defend much easier.

And now on to the races specifically :3

Terran

Spoiler:

The Terrans start off with a 11 supply limit instead of 10, which puts them in a slight advance. However if you want to build something you'll lose an SCV for that time as its busy building that structure. To start off you always wanna make SCV's till you have 10/11 of them, then start on a Supply Depo, which will increase your supply limit.

Spoiler:

Note how i keep making SCV's though i will eventually override my supply limit? This will never happen as by the time i will reach 12 supply, the Supply Depo will be finished and i can continue making SCV's without being supply blocked. These timings make you able to do stuff way faster than if you waited till its done before making more SCV's.

Also note the small icons above the production bar? Those are units/buildings who are hotkey'ed, meaning that you can easily select them by pressing the corresponding number on your keyboard. So if i press 4 ill select my Command Center. If i double press it you jump towards your "CC". This is handy if you wanna train multiple units when not looking at your base. This also works with multiple structures by using the Shift key. With that key you can add a unit/building to a group.

So once you get 13 SCV's, its time to build a Barracks. From here you can create military units and research infantry tech with a Tech Lab add-on, or produce twice as fast with the Reactor. Usually a Tech Lab also grants you more units aswell. The Barracks is also needed to tech up to a Factory, which produces tanks and mech units. And from the Factory you can tech up to the Starport, which makes aircraft. After you got 14 SCV's its time to grab some gas. At each mineral spot there are 2 geisers full of gas, and you need to make a Refinery first to harvest it. Then at 15 SCV's you make another Supply Depo to gain more supply to get some Marines up, the basic Terran unit.

Also once you feel like expanding you should. Once you reach 300 minerals you can send a SCV down the ramp and once it's at your "natural" (the place you naturally expand) you have enough to build a "CC" there.

Also a slight note: Dont forget to upgrade your CC's into Orbital Commands, which help you a lot with dropping MULE's on your mineral lines to harvest even more minerals :3

Spoiler:

These structures are Engineering Bay's. They contain upgrades for the Infantry and some slight other upgrades. The upgrade center for the tanks and aircraft is called the Armory, which is also required to make Hellbats and the Thor mech.

Spoiler:

Then, if you feel like your upgrades are okay and your army size and economy are good aswell, it is time to push out and defeat your opponent! Dont forget the abilities your units may have, like the Stimpack for the Marine and Siege Mode for Siege Tanks. And once your opponent says "gg" and leaves, you may be proud of what comes next:

Spoiler:

Protoss

Spoiler:

The Protoss are quite different than the Terrans, in the way that they start with a 10 supply limit cause of the Nexus and 6 Probes. Like the Terran SCV, the Probe also makes buildings, but instead of being there for the duration of the construction, Protoss structures build themselves, so the Probe can go back harvesting. Also all Protoss units and structures have shields which regenerate over time, unlike the Terrans and the Zerg.

Spoiler:

See this circle around the Pylon? Thats the field the Pylon powers up. Only in that field you can build Protoss structures. Also if your Pylon gets destroyed and there is no Pylon to back your structures up, they will become unpowered and will not work. This doesnt count for the Nexus and the Assimilator, which is the Protoss refinery for gas.

Spoiler:

Now the Protoss Nexus has a special ability called Chronoboost. This allows you to make a production or research facility to become slightly faster with what it's producing. It does cost energy though, but it regenerates over time.

Spoiler:

Now that you know slightly how the Protoss works its time to make some buildings. 13 Probes and then make a Gateway, the Protoss barracks. 14 Probes for the gas, just like with Terran, but you may choose (like i did) to get your second gas aswell for the more gas expensive units, and Protoss has a lot of them. Then you make a Cybernetics Core which houses the most important upgrade for Protoss, the Warp Gate tech. This allows you to turn your Gateways into Warp Gates and then you can deploy units instantly near any power source (Pylons). They do have a cooldown so its not spamming units 24/7. The Cybernetics Core also houses all air upgrades. From there you can make the most Protoss tech, like the Stargate which makes all Protoss air-units, the Robotics Facility, which makes the heavy Protoss units and the Twilight Council which allows you to go to tier 2 and 3 of the ground and shield upgrades.

And then its like with the Terran, if you feel safe to attack, go ahead and then you will see this glorious screen:

Spoiler:

Zerg

(will update with pictures, the game crashed when i tried to do this ;-;)

The Zerg start off with a Hatchery, 6 Drones and a Overlord, since Hatcheries provide only 2 supply to your limit. So to get more supply you have to make Overlords. Zerg makes units from the Hatcheries through larva, which can house a max of 3 larva (unless a Queen injected larva on it). Zerg can only build structures on Creep, which also makes them faster. As for Zerg you always want to be ahead in bases and have a good creep spread all around the map for easy movement. Also if a building is off creep (due to a dead creep tumor or a killed Hatchery, the building will start to bleed and eventually die. Zerg can easily go 3 bases before going into a Spawning pool, which allows you to make Zerglings and Queens. Queens are a essential unit. Not only are they a good defense against early pushes, they can also inject your Hatcheries with more larva to produce units, aswell as planting creep tumors for creep expansion. With the Spawning Pool you can also tech up to the Lair, the evolution of the Hatchery, which allows you to make structures that allows you to make Hydralisks, Mutalisks and Infestors. From the Lair you can go to the last tech, the Hive. From there you can make the most powerful units Zerg has: Ultralisks and Brood Lords. Also you need the Lair for tier 2 upgrades and the Hive for tier 3 upgrades. To get a Hive the Zerg needs a Infestation Pit. Also Zerg sacrifices Drones to make buildings, so dont forget to replenish them after losing a few to make buildings. Also you may want to use your Overlords to scout the map. They are really useful in that regard and can even detect cloaked units if you morph them into Overseer's.

So thats that. I hope you learned a lot from it and i hope it was really helpful aswell ^^

Back