• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Innovative Ability Showcase/Discussion

Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2015
    Okay, so someone was wondering if Abilities were allowed in my Move Effects showcase, and I already had plans to do this one, so I figured I'd just start it now.

Basically, this is for any sort of interesting and new abilities ideas you had.

This is open discussion and the ideas are free to use. If you post it, DONT COMPLAIN IF IT IS USED.
    Also, because of the nature of the topic, NEW RULE: Please explain what kind of Pokemon would have this ability/why. Is it a hidden ability? Is it signature, for one Pokemon only? Elaborate.

My first contribution, Essentials code and all, is "Cold Read". Basically this was meant to be a Frisk equivalent for natures, that, because we agreed that was sort of useless, was expanded to natures AND ABILITIES.

Code:
          # Cold Read
          if self.hasWorkingAbility(:COLDREAD) && @battle.pbOwnedByPlayer?(@index) && onactive
            PBDebug.log("[#{pbThis}: has Cold Read]")
            frisked=[]
            frisked.push(pbOpposing1) if !pbOpposing1.isFainted?
            frisked.push(pbOpposing2) if !pbOpposing2.isFainted?
            if frisked.length>0
              friskedpoke=frisked[@battle.pbRandom(frisked.length)]
              nature=friskedpoke.nature
              ability=friskedpoke.ability
              naturename=PBNatures.getName(nature)
              abilityname=PBAbilities.getName(ability)
              @battle.pbDisplayEffect(self)
              if EFFECTMESSAGES
                @battle.pbDisplay(_INTL("{1} found {2} to be {3} with {4}!",pbThis,friskedpoke.pbThis,naturename,abilityname))
              else
                @battle.pbDisplay(_INTL("{1} discovered the foe's {2} and {3}!",pbThis,naturename,abilityname))
              end
            end
          end

We placed that right after Frisk. Basically, on entry, it lets you know what their nature and their ability is, giving you a good idea on how exactly it's run. It's designed mostly as a Pokemon hunting trick, allowing you to get the legendaries/Dittos you were aiming for.
    Who gets this? Actually, the best answer we came up with was Butterfree. He's great with status sets, and therefore a valuable Pokemon catcher. Plus it learns Psychic moves, making it not entirely farfetched. We've also considered adding in one or two Psychic Pokemon that can have this ability as well.
    The (deliberately vague) effect description: Cold Read,"This Pokemon gets an idea what the opponent is like."

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Good for hunting legendary pokémon!

Continuing the talk on other thread:

Halves all damage? So it's levitate, fur coat and a special fur coat all in one? Sounds hella broken! I do agree though that for some of those Pokemon that seem like they do have a 'third' type giving them an ability that gives them some of its properties is a nice way of going about it. I'm toying around with a version that has some mix of increased resistances (or immunities), increased weaknesses, and additional STAB-esque power to flying-type moves.
    This is for weak pokémon like Dustox. For a time, my goal was to balance all last-form pokémon. So there's (almost) no NU/UU/OU. All at the same tier.

Wootius

Glah
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2022
    I nerfed Arcanine a bit. So I wanted to make it up to it.

Suntouched: Fire moves heal this Pokemon for 1/16 of the damage inflicted.

Wootius

Glah
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2022
    TdhybZE.png

I put it in below sheerforce in Battler.

http://pastebin.com/EsmPJunG

Wootius

Glah
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2022
    For Machamp. My version loses a chunk of ATK/HP, down to 120/80 for these

Precision: This Pokemon's moves can not miss.
    Multi-armed: All moves used by this Pokemon hit twice at half power.
    (H) Perfect Form: Attacks made against this Pokemon are always at 0 priority. Doesn't affect Status moves.

Last edited:

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • Multi-armed seems really interesting from the mathematics perspective, since it means you're more likely to deal closer to your average, not to mention any crit fishing you may attempt or status changes. Perfect form on the other hand seems somewhat subtle in a multiplayer environment, especially without any effect on Prankster.

Wootius

Glah
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2022
    Multi-armed seems really interesting from the mathematics perspective, since it means you're more likely to deal closer to your average, not to mention any crit fishing you may attempt or status changes. Perfect form on the other hand seems somewhat subtle in a multiplayer environment, especially without any effect on Prankster.

And with Machamp's power Multi-armed would likely break a lot of weak subs. I can probably code Multi-armed in myself for single hits, but don't know whether I can do it for already multi-hit attacks.

My game has a decent number of priority users. I'm torn as to whether it should stop Prankster antics. I hate free priority, so I obviously think it should but I'm only one guy. It'd hurt TalonFlame at least hehe.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2015
    Heh, it's funny you guys mention that, because I actually have a Fakemon named Polterglove that is Fighting/Ghost running with that exact same concept. The name of the ability is "After-Image" instead, and suggests sort of a supernatural thing.

Christopher, you're neglecting a couple other interesting possibilities: Power-Up Punch, the other punch status moves, Night Shade... there are lots of things that does that work really well. This is essentially a balanced Parental Bond.
    EDIT: Oh, you already caught those. Never mind. XD

One quip, though: Multi-Armed isn't the best name for this, because every Pokemon with two or more arms is multi-armed, by definition. XD

I'm also running a Dark, Light, and Fire type version of Refrigerate, called Corruption, Purification, and Conflagrate respectively. Does anyone have ideas of how to keep the naming scheme for more types? It's such a great effect I wouldn't feel bad about adding one for each type to the game.

Last edited:

WriterRaven

I Illustrate Through Words
    Years
  • I'm also running a Dark, Light, and Fire type version of Refrigerate, called Corruption, Purification, and Conflagrate respectively. Does anyone have ideas of how to keep the naming scheme for more types? It's such a great effect I wouldn't feel bad about adding one for each type to the game.

My suggestions for the other types are as follows (excluding Normal, Ice, Fairy and Flying, since they already have an ability along these lines):
    Water: Deluge
    Grass: Verdant Force
    Electric: Galvanize
    Fighting: Prowess
    Poison: Envenom
    Ground: Terra Firma
    Psychic: Attune
    Bug: Colonize
    Rock: Stone Touched
    Ghost: Possess
    Dragon: Draconic
    Dark: Shroud
    Steel: Mechanize

I also gave you a new suggestion for Dark, because Corruption sounds like it's on the evil side of things and I'm of the opinion that the Dark type doesn't have to automatically mean "evil" (even though the Japanese type is translated as 'Evil').

And while I'm here, I'll throw in my own contribution, an ability I came up with for one of the new species in my current project.

Haughty: Lowers the foe's Attack if they use a move that makes contact.
    (I imagine a mon, Serperior for example, taking a blow and looking at the attacker as if to say, "Did you just touch me?")

Code:
            if target.hasWorkingAbility(:HAUGHTY)
              effMessages=true
                if user.pbCanReduceStatStage?(PBStats::ATTACK,false,true)
                  user.pbReduceStatBasic(PBStats::ATTACK,1)
                  @battle.pbDisplayEffect(target) if effMessages
                  effMessages=false
                  @battle.pbCommonAnimation("StatDown",user,nil)
                  if EFFECTMESSAGES
                    @battle.pbDisplay(_INTL("{1}'s Attack was lowered!",user.pbThis))
                  else
                    @battle.pbDisplay(_INTL("{1}'s {2} lowered its Attack!",
                       target.pbThis,PBAbilities.getName(target.ability)))
                  end
               end
            end

Due to my still learning to code things - almost all of this is copied from other ability effects - it took a while to test properly, figure out where I went wrong, but I got it working. =)

Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2015
    While those names are all great, I was hoping to keep all of them with an "ate" or "tion" sound at the end. XD

I'm not sure about Haughty. It seems interesting, but I feel having it be absolute is sort of.. maybe a little broken? Maybe throw in a random chance?

Wootius

Glah
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2022
    Twice per round limit would be the best. You have to take a hit for it to work, so maybe a -2 and it caps there.

WriterRaven

I Illustrate Through Words
    Years
  • Haughty is a signature ability at the moment, for one of the new species I'm adding (Saberquen, a branched evolution of Pawniard). With that in mind I'm inclined to think it's fine as it is, but that opinion may change as I make more progress on my game. I'll have to run proper tests to see how effective it is.

Wootius

Glah
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2022
    Honestly, a little more granularity to it would make it perfect. 1 Stat stage being 25% would make this perfect. Intimidate would apply -2 automatically.

I like the idea. Writer, much more innovative then my plain Special version of Intimidate.

Back