• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

the homeless

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    i'm sure this will be an uncomfortable topic for many on here, for reasons i'll let them decide

but nevertheless
    when it comes to the homeless, what's your first feeling when you see them on the street? is it a feeling you feel shame over?
    how do you engage with the homeless, if at all? can you honestly say that you have donated a piece of your kindness, money, time or otherwise?

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • I have an initial feeling of hopefulness for them, but also a want for distance. I'd like to give those types money if some of them didn't take advantage of it and buy drugs and things... >_>

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Initially thoughts of 'oh god don't come over this way', followed by 'god I feel so bad about not giving them anything' to 'wow that could easily be me if I didn't have family that cared about me'.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    There's plenty of them in NYC. I don't stare at them. I just keep walking.

Poki

Banned
    Years
  • I just keep walking 'cause it's full of rapists (or criminals in general) here, and you never know who you might run into.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
  • I've developed an aversion. Some people genuinely need help, but others, not so much.

In Montreal, I saw a "homeless" guy bumming smokes and money off people, and then show up a few hours later wearing nice clothes, incl. an Ecko leather jacket.

In Toronto, I see repeat offenders with different stories. They always wander around with a new story to tell each week, pointing to a "hospital" tag and needing money for various travel expenses out of the city. One guy gave the entire waiting room at Greyhound Station off Bay a whole speech about how he needs to get back to his family, that his son was in trouble with the police, and he was short 50$ for a train ticket. He asked everyone to please, please, please give him something so he could get back home. One lady offered to purchase the ticket for him, though, and he suddenly threw a fit, became violent, started screaming at people and ran straight out the door exasperated that no one would give him money. Obviously if he were in the kind of situation he claimed to be in, he would've accepted the woman's assistance in purchasing the Via Rail ticket! But we all know that he was full of bollocks.

That said, I did help someone once. He asked for food, for money to buy food at the Starbucks across the street. The Starbucks was closed, and I was alone and concerned that if I denied him his request for food that he'd become violent. He seemed nice enough. I bought him a Subway gift card for 5.65$. I hope he didn't sell it for 3$ or something :pink_frown: I wonder about it sometimes.

In Toronto's bus bay, "homeless" people are everywhere. They invade the Subway there and ask for free food constantly and the workers are harassed. It's a sad state of affairs.

I take pre-emptive measures to try not to be approached. I talk on the phone, I listen to music super loud, I avert eye contact. I play my 3DS or read a book. They usually address crowds rather than individuals, so it's a safe way to go about it.

I feel sad for people I find sleeping outside or on bus chairs, etc. There's one guy in my hometown that lives off the money he collects from alcohol bottle deposits. He has a shopping cart and sleeps outside. It's upsetting. One person can't make a widespread difference; we'll have to wait for some kind of movement to really get the ball rolling for housing, shelters, etc.

Ottawa just shut down a popular aboriginal shelter downtown. Lack of funding, apparently. It's sad.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I've interacted with the homeless on more than one occasion. Despite the stigmas, most of them are actually quite friendly. I hardly ever give them money, but I'll buy a couple sandwiches for them, and most recently, gave a guy a card for a free coffee.

Although, what stands out most to me was when I went on a trip with my old church down to San Francisco. We were down there specifically to talk, interact, and help the homeless. We talked with so many people, and it was really eye opening to hear their stories. One woman came down here to be with her boyfriend, but she ended up on the street after he kicked her out. Another guy had asked his wife for twenty bucks to go to the bar, but instead of going to the bar, he bought a ticket and left his family for good. His son was only a baby when he left, and he was now apparently 22 when we spoke to him, so probably around 27 now. He wished every day that he didn't leave, but he knows he can't go back.

Homeless people really aren't that scary. Some of them can be dangerous, so it's probably best not to approach people alone, but a lot of them just want someone to talk to and hear their story. Most people just brush them off, after all.

Years
  • Most of the homeless people I've seen here (or I assume they're homeless, anyway) are the ones that like to go up to cars stopped at red lights on highways to panhandle stuff off drivers. I actually saw one driver give such a person what appeared to be a wrapped-up sandwich once. Me, I wouldn't be brave enough to even acknowledge anybody was there. Strange guy coming up to my car window, nope nope nope. That window's staying rolled up tight.

If I see them on the street, though, I won't go out of my way to engage them (they're not special in that regard, I don't like engaging anybody especially if I'm out by myself), but I will feel bad for them, assuming they're not just faking it. I haven't done anything for them yet personally, but if I did it would be in something practical, like food or clothing - not money. Unless said money was to a homeless shelter or something.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
    Years
  • Heh, I've been there. From experience, most bums are just people who made shit decisions that caused them to lose their homes, or bums who were just so anti-establishment/lazy that they refused to get a job to support themselves. Then there are the "career homeless" who are content with living on the streets and not bathing, who give the worst image of homelessness to the booji folk.

I know that most of these people dugtheir own hole, and made their own situation so dismal. But so many of them really are appreciative of genuine help and concern. So many homeless people come from some pretty fucked up childhoods and such, so they were ill-equipped for the life of adulthood in a capitalist society. In America, the general "Anti-welfare" mentality that the middle and upper classes have only end up fucking over people who've suffered the most in the system.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    i often wish faking homelessness wasn't a thing, because i've been tempted to give money on multiple occasions and at some points i have. i've mostly given enough money to like.. buy a burger or two from mcdonald's, though.

i almost gave all of my leftovers from Texas Roadhouse to a man who was standing on the side of the road with a sign asking for food some time ago. i highly doubt anyone would degrade themselves in such a manner unless they really needed the food. but sadly i didn't get the chance to give it to him because my roommate pulled out of the plaza just a little too quickly - before i could tell him to stop and let me give the food to the guy.

but i'd say for the most part i tend to not acknowledge the homeless unless they're asking me directly for some change, or if they're holding a sign asking for food.

change and food are little to give to someone who obviously needs both of those things more than i do.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    They need help, all of them. People like to turn a blind eye to this subject, but literally anyone on this forum could become homeless at any time. Not all homeless people are drug addicts or alcoholics. About 25% of the homeless population are mentally ill (although that's another entirely different stigma that needs to be discussed and addressed but not here). There are so many other reasons for homelessness - domestic abuse, poverty, etc.

The fact of the matter is, the reason that they are in their situation is irrelevant and shame on anyone for passing their judgment on them or saying "they deserve it" based on their life decisions. Nobody deserves to not have food to eat or a roof over their head. Seriously, that's sickening.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Every day on my way to work, I see one homeless woman sitting on a cement stoop next to a grocery store. Every day she's there. It breaks my heart. I wish I was making enough money to really help her out, but I simply can't afford to give money to her to help her. It makes me angry, though. I work in a rich neighborhood. Like it's literally a rich neighborhood. Doctors, CEOs, and lawyers all live nearby. And from the looks of it, none of those people are helping her.

Most of the homeless people I've seen here (or I assume they're homeless, anyway) are the ones that like to go up to cars stopped at red lights on highways to panhandle stuff off drivers. I actually saw one driver give such a person what appeared to be a wrapped-up sandwich once. Me, I wouldn't be brave enough to even acknowledge anybody was there. Strange guy coming up to my car window, nope nope nope. That window's staying rolled up tight.
    There was a homeless man who came up to me at a drive thru window. It was so fucking scary. Thankfully the employees were really on him, scolding him and threatening to call the police on him. So he eventually left, but then I pulled out, and he ended up walking to where I was sitting by myself at a red light. There was a police car across the highway, so I'm sure I could have gotten his attention if something happened, but it was still so scary.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Yeah it's something I feel shame over, because they're in a tough situation and I'm not and there's no good reason to explain that. But mostly I feel anger because actually something can be done about it, but our government have more selfish priorities than aiding citizens.

I've yet to meet an abusive or violent homeless person; a lot of them where I live are quite artistic and actually generous on the rare occasion they have something to give. I've given money to homeless people before, but not every time. It doesn't really make me feel better and I know it's not going to solve the problem, but sometimes i just can't ignore them.

Don't even look at them, keep walking or they will try to ask you the infamous "spare some change?"
    did you register just to post this

Years
  • I feel really sad when I see homeless people and also very guilty because I don't give them money. I don't give because of the possibility of them buying alcohol or cigarettes with the money instead of food. I do give them fruit every now and again though. I have walked past the same homeless man pretty much every day for the last two years and there are another two regulars on my way to and from my city station.

There are plenty of charities and programs that help the homeless in my city so if I decide to take on another charity (or switch one of my charities) I might contribute money in that manner.

dad

big poppa
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 13, 2018
    it makes me extremely grateful for all of the things that i have. it also makes me think things could be worse. when it comes to homeless people it's really hard to tell who really needs help and who is an imposter. i find it extremely pathetic that there are imposters out there who feast on others money and emotions when there are actually people who need help. near the mall there are people who bring out their whole families and write their story on a sign asking for money. it always imposes the question of how the whole family got there, how they got the sign, and the legitimacy of their needs.

i do a fair amount of donating. i donate clothing to the salvation army about twice a year. around christmas i donate money to the Salvation Army. we do the can drives around the holidays.. recently we started bringing food to the women and children shelter ect. when i get a car i'm planning on doing more volunteering but at soup kitchens.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Some of them are actually perfectly content to lead a nomadic lifestyle, so I've heard. If I'd lost everything, I can imagine I would be, too. I look upon them as I would any stranger I know nothing about.

Last edited:
    Back