• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Pokerus? Ever had it?

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    So to me, the Pokerus has always been more of a myth to me, up until Gen 4. Has anyone ever obtained a pokemon with a pokerus?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I finally caught Pokerus in ORAS, but had never had it before that. I've definitely seen pictures of it in gen III, and I know it can exist in gen II, but it's obviously rarer in the pre-wifi era because individuals have to catch it themselves and can't spread it easily to people all over the world.

And re: the second post, yeah, there aren't too many threads. This isn't the most active forum, but many of the discussions that are here are good.

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2018
    Was lucky enough to happen across it after a few years of playing Silver. Figured out how to spread it too before it wore off thankfully.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    Was lucky enough to happen across it after a few years of playing Silver. Figured out how to spread it too before it wore off thankfully.

THats great. how accomplished did you feel and what indication did it give to let you know it was pokerus?

to me pokerus will forever be the more mythical one than shinies.

Years
  • I actually somehow got the pokerus once on my gold version. I don't even remember which pokemon had it, but I just remember playing it one day because I was bored and...something seemed a little different when I looked at my menu...

Yep. I couldn't ever catch a shiny pokemon in that game, but I somehow managed to get one of my pokemon to catch the pokerus. Go figure.

Didn't play much after that and of course that save is now gone. I've never seen it pop up again in any other game so far.

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2018
    Well, there was the in-game text but I had already noticed the increase in experience from battles. At the time I had no idea it was completely random to catch it in the first place so it was a tad bit frustrating trying to work out the conditions for getting it.

When it passed to another party member though--mwahahaha! That was good enough.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • I do not recall ever having a Pokémon with Pokérus in any Gen. 2 games. The lack of global trading from the second generation makes it much harder to obtain Pokérus since many people on the GTS and Wonder Trade spread it like wildfire :P

Years
  • I do remember getting Pokérus in Crystal once. I was told by the Pokémon Center nurse that my Quagsire had been infected, and I was like, "What? Is this bad?!" I would find out in later years that it isn't, haha. But at the time I didn't really know what it did, since Stat EXP is quite different from EVs.

Years
  • My first encounter with it was in Leaf Green. I think a poliwhirl or something had it. I was so glad because leveling for me at the time was annoying to all hell.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I definitely did and the satisfaction of having was pretty awesome! I never really understood the concept myself when I was playing through GSC considering I was pretty young. But know that I look back I'd have to say I was pretty lucky to get one with the "disease".

Guest123_x1

My Pokémon ended up with the PokéRus on a playing of Silver back around 2001-02 or so. I was surprised to see the special message from Nurse Joy in the Pokémon center, then was even more surprised to have Professor Elm call me as soon as I walked out of the Center, to tell me about the "virus" going around. At first, I didn't really think much of it, but I did notice each of my Pokémon had a small dot in their properties screens. Ironically, I seem to remember reading about PokéRus in a Pokémon magazine around the time G/S were first released in the States, but I didn't think it'd ever happen to me, so...

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2015
    I had the luck to get a Kricketot with the Pokerus in Platinum and it was my first (catched) Pokemon of that save file. I wasn't entirely sure of what the Pokerus could do at that time anyway. {XD}

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    I've had Pokérus a number of times, actually. The first time was in Emerald when I was grinding my team for the Elite 4, and that was really useful. Since then I've gotten it a bunch.

Now if only I had the same luck with shinies...

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2015
    Sadly I have never been that lucky. If/when I do, I'll prolly croak from heart failure.

Back