• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Soft resetting - Have you ever?

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2016
    Depending on the system you're playing on, soft resetting can be performed whilst holding down a range of buttons at once.

Soft resetting will change the hidden values of a Pokémon such as a starter or in-game event Pokémon to, in a sense, increase the chances of finding a shiny Pokémon. Some will use it for IVs, EVs, Natures and Characteristics.

Have you ever performed a soft reset and been successful? Did you perhaps begin to reset for a shiny Pokémon but gave up?

Share your stories.

Years
  • Yeah, for whatever reason I was playing my X game and I decided I wanted a shiny Amaura. Normally I keep forgetting about the existence of soft resetting because I don't tend to go shiny hunting, but I thought, hey, why not try it this once and see if I can get this particular shiny? I do like how it looks and all that, and I've never run into a shiny before and this way seemed easier than actually going out and hunting--

...I gave up. My character is still sitting there, at the desk in that lab, with no shiny Amaura in her hands because I eventually got bored of resetting and decided to just put the game aside. Maybe one of these days I'll try again.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • Nope, I don't care enough for those traits. Catching a legendary can be time consuming enough by itself, soft resetting would make it unbearable.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Plenty of times. I normally soft-reset when I'm trying to get a specific nature in say, my starter or a gift Pokemon or when I'm trying to catch a Pokemon with a specific nature and I don't like wasting Pokeballs haha. I did try soft-resetting for shiny once or twice and was actually success with my Shiny Bulbasaur in Soul Silver after about 770 resets. Considering the odds I was fairly lucky I believe; my classmates thought it would never happen haha.

Years
  • I tried soft resetting for a shiny starter on Black, but I gave up after about 15 soft resets lol.

Reactions: Sun

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I soft reset for Nature and later on IVs for Gen VI legendaries like Xerneas, Yveltal and Kyogre.

Years
  • I've done it, most recently in ORAS trying to get a shiny Regice. I did it for three days but then gave up. I don't know how people do it! I'm not that patient haha.

I've never been successful with this method.

Years
    • she/her
    • home
    • Seen Aug 16, 2023
    I did it 19402924 times while trying to SR for like, a 4-5 IV Latios. Gave up because I lost interest, and then I had my eyes on Virizion. Tried to SR for that, and then lost interest because Virizion is more of a pain in the ass to catch than Latios is.

Go figure. >.>;

you did this in ORAS? i'm actually resetting for a good-natured Latios right now, but how do you check for IVs on Latios when you can't get to the IV-checker yet?
    ... oh, i just realised you may be referring to the Eon Ticket Pokémon you can catch later on x: is that it? haha sorry.

to answer the topic - i've tried sort resetting for a shiny starter (specifically a shiny Torchic in Sapphire and a shiny Froakie in X) but i never followed through on those. now i only reset for legendaries' natures, and IVs if i can be bothered.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Every game, seriously. I always use a female starter and because they're all only 12.5% female, I soft reset for one at the start of every game lol. I think there have only been maybe two occasions where the first Pokémon I chose was a female.

Aside from that though, I tried soft resetting for IVs on some of the events in ORAS but that got so boring I just said screw it. :x I do plan on soft resetting for legendaries with good IVs in ORAS whenever I get around to beating the game (again, I restarted my file).

Years
  • No, I never used soft reset that often. The only thing I even recall using it for was to get a certain nature on a Legendary, when I was catching Cresselia in my now-wiped Alpha Sapphire file.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I've done a little bit of SRing, mainly in OR. I SRed the three legendary beasts, the story Latios and Azelf for the proper Nature and for the most part decent IVs. Latios is kinda the exception, because at the point when you get it in OR, there's no way to check whether the proper IVs are how they are supposed to be (also that stupid cutscene).

I'm also considering to try to SR the Diancie, they are distributing right now.

Years
  • I've done this many times to SR for shinies or starters with certain genders/natures. Of course my luck's usually bad and it takes a while but it's still really helpful for when you're needing a shortcut to make your life hunting for shinies easier.. so glad I don't have to turn the system off and then on again.

Every game, seriously. I always use a female starter and because they're all only 12.5% female, I soft reset for one at the start of every game lol. I think there have only been maybe two occasions where the first Pokémon I chose was a female.

Aha this is me too now. As of a few years ago I really started liking using female Pokemon and now 99% of the ones I have on my team are girls. So that naturally requires a lot of SRing. :D

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    I've tried soft resetting for a bunch of different legendaries but I can never get a shiny one to show up. I tried for like four hours in Platinum for the shiny Giratina that just wouldn't show up. The only time I was ever successful was resetting for a female Snivy in Black 2. It only took me an hour, but I eventually got one.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Soft resetting is incredibly monotonous. I'd rather use the Pokéradar to get shiny pokémon, as at least that requires skill not luck.

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • I've tried it a few times, namely in Silver for a shiny Lapras and Platinum for a shiny Giratina... but I gave up in both cases. In Lapras' case... I was young, and just got impatient. With Giratina... it was blocking my progress in the game, so I had to either put it off indefinitely while trying to get the shiny, or I had to give up on it. Fortunately, shortly after that a shiny Giratina was announced for an event and I got that.

Back