• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite songs by acts you generally don't like?

Years
  • This thread was inspired by a recent marathon that a certain music critic did one day where he went over his favorite songs of various artists, most of which were ones he didn't have much nice to say about, if anything at all. That said, even though it's likely there are several acts out there in music (especially today) that make you want to change the station or shut it off just hearing the mention of their name, i'm sure you're able to find that one song by at least some of them that you can, in good conscience, if not like, at least respect. Between acts we have today in the myriad of pop and rap, if they've been able to bust out hit after hit, odds are they at least get enough right that you can find something to like about them.

I haven't thought of any at this very moment, but how about you? What acts that you usually don't want to hear have given you something to grudgingly appreciate? Discuss.

Jayce

x-kid
    Years
  • I don't really care for One Direction, but I do like their songs "Night Changes", "Little Things", and "Story of My Life".

Hm. Maybe I do like One Direction.

I'll also say "Love Me Harder" by Ariana Grande. Most of her music (from what I've heard) isn't quite to my taste, but that's a nice song.

Hannah

beep bop boop
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Nov 16, 2021
    I don't like Ariana Grande but I do like Almost is Never Enough and Love Me Harder. (I don't really hate Ariana. It's just that I wish she just stuck with the good-girl-Cat-Valentine look, since it suits her much better.)

Years
  • Blasterjaxx & DBSTF - Beautiful World

I dislike Blasterjaxx in every sense of the word, and I'm not exactly DBSTF's biggest fan either. But the vocals, guitar, and synth/melody in the break of this track is quite good, in the first half of the track at least (second half is a bit iffy, they're trying to be clever but it all goes wrong).

The drop is complete poo though and it ruins the entire track

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm sorta with Jayce here, I don't like most One Direction songs but Night Changes and You And I are notable exceptions, likely due to them having a more personal sound to them.

Also, I'm not the biggest Ariana Grande fan but Break Free is one that actually doesn't bother me, but I guess that's likely because I fell in love with Zedd (who produced the song) thanks to his massive hit Clarity. I even labeled that song one of my all-time fave EDM tracks so it was a good sign I enjoyed this one as well.

I also am not much of a fan of stuff involving Jack White but I do admit being in love with Seven Nation Army, the massive hit he had with The White Stripes. Never gets old hahahahaha.

Years
  • As far as One Direction goes, I mentioned on another thread in here that I at least liked Best Song Ever, since that one was a track that wasn't just incessant nagging to females, and instead has somewhat of a story to it at least. So that would be my favorite song by them.

I'm sure there are other acts I can think of right now that i'll have a song to name, but a few people were mentioning 1D so that was a track I had to pitch in on.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    i don't care for ariana grande in the slightest but that one song she did with mac miller goes the fuck off

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
  • I listen to a lot of country music. The most popular country artist right now is Florida Georgia Line, and I can't stand them. Well, actually most country artists are getting annoying now. I swear to god, if I have to hear one more song about a fucking truck, I'll burn all of my johhny cash, willie nelson and hank williams jr albums and switch to K-pop. Oh well, I guess the genre has to evolve in order to survive, but I wish they would show a little more variety and do something like Eric Church does. Mix the old outlaw country with todays modern pop country.

Sir Codin

Celine Dion is an evil witch who can kindly go to hell, but I kinda liked "My Heart Will Go On."

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Yo I always have and always will hate T Swift, but Shake it Off is one catchy tune.

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
    Years
  • I never really liked One Direction, but their song, What Makes You Beautiful, is an exception. Mostly because I saw a parody of their music video. xD It was pretty good. Plus there's also Turn Me On by Nicki Minaj that I like due to Homestuck.

Years
  • To give this a bump, I decided to think of an act to mention, and I thought of one.

Although a lot of Beyonce's hits have been insufferable to me (especially Crazy in Love and Single Ladies, which have been overexposed like no tomorrow, thankfully 7/11 hasn't), I can say that I liked her 2007 collaboration with Shakira, Beautiful Liar. That was a track that I remember liking a lot when it was new to the scene.

As for Nicki Minaj, I don't outright dislike her but can understand most of the disgust with her (and I only mention her because the post above me did), but Moment 4 Life, with Drake, is still my favorite of her songs, bar none.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Savin Me by Nickelback. The band gets a lot of hate which I don't really care about, but this is the only song I've heard from them that I really liked. The other songs I heard from them sounded pretty generic.

This is easy because I don't have very many favorite bands, mainly favorite songs. I always have only 1-3 songs from a single band/artist with the notable exceptions of my favorite bands where I have about 15-40 songs from them.

Years
  • I hate it when a terrible artist that I hate releases a song that I have to secretly enjoy.
    Hate it.
    I want to hate everything about them, then I can't.

With that being said, I'll give you a list of a few.

1. Taylor Swift is awful, her songs tear at my ears like savage beasts. Except I Knew You Were Trouble and Blank Space. Those songs are actually pretty decent... I just wish someone else sung them because I hate her music so much.

2. Celine Dion has an amazing voice that is wasted on sub-par songs... except Falling Into You. That song is truly fantastic and I wish more people knew of it than the extremely overrated My Heart Will Go On

3. Five Seconds of Summer can pretend to be rockers as much as they like but the only thing that separates them from groups like One Direction is that they can play instruments. I hate their songs... although it was kind of cool to see them experiment a bit with punk in that Good Girls song (I forget the title).

4. Speaking of which, One Direction may well be the worst group around right now (IMO) but You and I is almost decent.

5. Ariana Grande is another one with a great voice wasted on horrible songs... except Love Me Harder. That's pretty okay.

I could probably go on forever.
    Seriously irritating pop artists of the world, JUST LET ME HATE YOU IN YOUR ENTIRETY.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2016
    Add me to the list of "I like some songs by One Direction, but don't like really like the band". A few of their main hits are really catchy, I do like Story Of My Life & You and I. (I don't hate them, as scrutinized as they are. But they kind of annoy me slightly, I think that's due to the fact I know most of their hits off by heart!!)

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I hate anything by Taylor Swift, except for a few songs... including the one below:

Spoiler:

I also like Miley's Wrecking Ball. Sure, I don't like or agree with her image at all. I still think that Wrecking Ball is a really nice song though. I don't know why, but I guess because seeing how she's gone downhill from her Hannah Montana days, it's the only best song she has that's worth listening to.

Also, anything by One Direction is enough to cause my head to explode because I hate them so much. =.=

IggyKoopa

#429: magical pokémon
    Years
  • Skrillex is good at making a lot of songs that I don't like, and then there are some of his songs - First of the Year (Equinox), Get Up, or even dare I say Kyoto - that I like but I'm really ashamed to admit it.

I still don't like any of the songs on the Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites album though, even if a lot of people say it's his best work.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I'm not the biggest fan....or really a fan at all of Lil Wayne. However, I will say I have always for some reason enjoyed Drop The World and Martians Vs Goblins.

Years
  • I'm not the biggest fan....or really a fan at all of Lil Wayne. However, I will say I have always for some reason enjoyed Drop The World and Martians Vs Goblins.

I'm ashamed to admit it but I'm the same with Drop the World. There's just something about the rage in that song that makes me love it.

Back