• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RMT [I]

Riku

Who cares to know, eh Bubbles?
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Feb 22, 2021
    So, I just sorta got started in this world of competitive battling. Just really started PO a couple days ago. But, I have a team I really like, but just was wondering (and was advised) to post it here for crit/feedback/suggestions/etc.

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Substitute
    - Disable
    - Thunderbolt
    - Shadow Ball

Excadrill (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sand Rush
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Rapid Spin

Landorus (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Sand Force
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Hammer Arm
    - U-turn

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
    - Stealth Rock
    - Crunch
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower

Gyarados (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Moxie
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Dragon Dance
    - Waterfall
    - Stone Edge
    - Bounce

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
    Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
    - Gyro Ball
    - Power Whip
    - Thunder Wave
    - Spikes

I originally had Blissey but opted for Excadrill... dunno if that's the best set for Drill to use though. Thank you in advance for any feedback ^^

Gazza

Heaven-Piercer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Aug 25, 2016
    Excadrill (M) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Sand Rush
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    - Swords Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - X-Scissor

Maybe use Air balloon instead of Life Orb for a free quake switch.
    Also change Rapid Spin to X-Scissor for coverage and shock Reuniclus users who try to Focus Blast Exca.

Give your Ferro Rapid spin if you need to. ;D

Tyranitar and Exca should be used to clean up and revenge kill. If you can get two Swords Dances in along with T-Tar's Sand stream to boost speed Exca can sweep pretty much any team.

I'll Probably edit this some more for you later. (b'-')b

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I'd use Focus Blast on Gengar, especially if you're using it as a lead. I really think you shouldn't use it as one, though - it's a great Conkeldurr counter with that set (you disable the Payback and/or Stone Edge and it can't touch you), and Ttar and Excadrill both dislike it greatly. It'd be much more useful outside of the lead position.

Return is also an option >> Rapid Spin on Excadrill to hit Rotom-W, Gliscor, and Virizion harder.

Maybe use Air balloon instead of Life Orb for a free quake switch.
    Also change Rapid Spin to X-Scissor for coverage and shock Reuniclus users who try to Focus Blast Exca.

Give your Ferro Rapid spin if you need to. ;D

Tyranitar and Exca should be used to clean up and revenge kill. If you can get two Swords Dances in along with T-Tar's Sand stream to boost speed Exca can sweep pretty much any team.

I'll Probably edit this some more for you later. (b'-')b

Ferro doesn't get Rapid Spin, sadly. :(

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • Gengar definitely wants Focus Blast over Thunderbolt. The overall coverage is much better and Substitute lets you escape some of the inconvenience of Focus Blast's accuracy. And you really need the coverage for really any Steel-type are Dark-type that isn't weak to Thunderbolt like Lucario, Tyranitar, Excadrill, or even the rare Weavile. It really is better.

With Landorus, just in terms of how you play it, I wouldn't get too U-turn happy. Just like with CB Flygon last gen, a lot of players spammed U-turn so Flygon actually lost its utility and just wasted turns. When you can, just attack with a stronger move. It was just an observation I had and yeah, you pretty much waste Landy if you just U-turn all the time...of course, that doesn't mean never use it but yeah.

Excadrill probably doesn't want to lose 10% of its health for Rapid Spinning. I would just use Air Balloon. Alternatives to Rapid Spin are X-Scissor (mostly for Lati@s) and Brick Break (lets you beat foe Excadrill without needing to win a Speed tie, so you don't have to surrender your hard-earned boost). Since you seem pretty secure against Lati@s, Rapid Spin is probably preferred to protect Gyarados.

This is a cool team. Good luck with it :)

EDIT: Don't forget to set Ferro's Speed IV to zero or Gyro Ball doesn't hit as hard.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I wouldn't use Gyro Ball and Thunder Wave together on Ferrothorn, since Gyro Ball weakens if the opponent is slow as well; you'll have to replace one or the other with Leech Seed, Stealth Rock or Protect. Also, use Relaxed or Sassy to capitalize on its defensive stats.

Back