• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Machamp

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
Years
  • Machamp.png

According to the Pokedex entries, Machamp is 5'03" tall (or, as I have marked, 160.02cm). With the ratio of a 68-pixel sprite representing a 160.02cm Pokemon, I can conclude that one pixel = 2.35cm.

Machamp's arm is 40 pixels long. I obtained this by removing the lower left arm in MSPaint and "straightening" it by splitting it at the elbow and rotating each part by an appropriate angle. At 40 pixels, one can conclude that Machamp's arm is 95cm long, or for the sake of generality, 1m. Assuming that each punch is thrown from a "neutral", 0cm position, each arm travels approximately. 1m per punch.

According to its PokeDex entry in FireRed, "Its four ruggedly developed arms can launch a flurry of 1,000 punches in just two seconds." With this in mind, I have calculated that Machamp's punches are fired at an approximate speed of 250m/s (for those of you who are still in the Dark Ages and using the Imperial measurement system, that's 559.23mph).

That's pretty fast, guys. But it gets better.

When pulling its arms back, it shifts direction which means that a certain amount of g-force is applied to those arms. Considering the magnitude of this directional difference, the amount of time taken to correct it is negligible. Therefore, one can conclude that Machamp's punches have a general acceleration of 250m/s2. To calculate the g-force, we divide by the the gravitational acceleration of Earth, 9.80665m/s2. When Machamp fires or retracts a punch, (s)he feels 25.49G of force.

Now humans can endure this type of force on our muscles due to the soft tissue in our bodies: they absorb some of the force elastically and distribute it over time. Machamp is a completely different story, as its arms aren't soft, they're "rugged", i.e. hard, durable, etc. Humans can endure a constant 15G of pressure on body tissues, and individual instances of <30G force without suffering damage. But our friend Machamp can't. Without the luxury of soft tissue to deform and absorb the force, Machamp's arms should literally explode whenever it launches these rapid-fire punches it is apparently so well known for.

Discuss.

Charliezard

A wild shroomish appeared!
    Years
  • From all that information I have come to a simple conclusion...You have way too much time on your hands. xD, but wow 0.0 Sounds like me really -Flexes-
    This is a reason Pokemon can't be real, it shames me D:

Elite Champion

The Old Pokemon Days <3
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2012
    yeh, its only a game

ditto- can look at something and transform into it

and yes, you do have to much time

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
    Years
  • Yeah, and Pidgeot can fly twice the speed of sound, what's your point?

Considering how big Pidgeot is, it clearly has an insanely high muscle power-to-weight ratio. It's the reason the Bugatti Veyron can go so fast: massive engine + less weight to lug around = extremely high speeds.

Not to mention that Mach 2 is it's top speed. How long would it have to accelerate/dive in order to reach that speed? One must wonder...

So, let me ask you: what was your point?

Elite Champion

The Old Pokemon Days <3
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2012
    dude, were not being bad but not much people on here are intrested to go into
    that much detail about a game

take blastoise for instance

he's a six foot tall turtle that shoots water out cannons attached to its back

King!

better
    Years
  • I think what you've done is marvelous....

Taking small information to get into such detailed conclusions about this wonderful subject....

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Dude, u are over analyzing it and its science thats not real. You could easily tell us why everything about every pokemon is scientifically incorrect.

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    That's pretty cool. 1,000 punches in less than two seconds, lol.
    Dude, u are over analyzing it and its science thats not real. You could easily tell us why everything about every pokemon is scientifically incorrect.
    It's just a fun fact to know. Calm down.

Vail

wah
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2014
    His arms should explode, but they don't. And that SPECIFICALLY is why Machamp is one of my fave Pokemon. 8D No but really, they're pretty awesome.

invisible-chan

~Pocky Goddess~
    Years
  • XD Nice! Now my friends has more reason to spazz over Machamp. I have a few questions for you, if you don't mind.

1. Why did you do it? Curiosity from out of nowhere or something brought up in a conversion? Trying to show off how epically geeky you are? You know you can't deny how wonderfully geeky that is (<3's geeks).

2. Have you discovered any other trivia based off their pixels or are you going to?

I wish I had the patience to calculate something a random and awesome as that. XD

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    That's pretty funny, if you ignore the blood-and-guts aspect...

thudthudthudthudthudthudthudthudthudBOOM!
    xD wow, I am so spazzy today...

PS- Gymno? You listening? I'd like your input about this...

KurlyFries

let's get this bread
    Years
  • Wow. That's insane.

If I were Machamp, I would've learned by level 12 Machop to not punch anything that fast.
    Natural selection, I guess.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
  • Considering how big Pidgeot is, it clearly has an insanely high muscle power-to-weight ratio. It's the reason the Bugatti Veyron can go so fast: massive engine + less weight to lug around = extremely high speeds.

Not to mention that Mach 2 is it's top speed. How long would it have to accelerate/dive in order to reach that speed? One must wonder...

So, let me ask you: what was your point?

-_- You're basing your theory on pixels, logic and unclear entries. That was my point.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Gym inputs on what he wants to :O

But wow that's a lot of detail... Pokémon isn't supposed to be that detailed? XD;

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • You have waaaaay too much free-time. XD

I can't believe someone would actually use their free-time to search up Machamp. ;O

If it can fire 1k punches at the speed of 250m/s, why isn't it an uber?! Dx

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Outrage! If I say for him to come, he does. If say to jump, he asks me, "how high". How dare you suggest otherwise! >:O

(jk, of course.[Please don't hurt me! >.<"])

Back