• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Jerking awake right after you sleep ( ~ __ ~ )

Years
  • So you see guys it happens to like 60-70 % people just as you sleep you get this vision like you're falling from hill or something and boom! Here goes sleep xD you're awake now XD

Here is the science behind this...when your body is too exhausted and just as you sleep your breathing and heart rate slows down. The sleep is very light. If above mention things happens too fast the brain will think that your vitals organ are failing and jerks your body awake by showing such thing like falling, tripping etc..

Did it happen to you while you sleep? You find this theory about hypnic jerk interesting? Share your thoughts xD

Last edited:
    Years
  • Haha, this always happen to me for two to three times per month. I remember the time when I was so jumpscared I screamed. But seriously, it's cool that the human body has this "reflex".

Anyways, I have a story about this phenomenon (I just got this from 9GAG):
    Spoiler:

dudealmighty

The Very Best
    Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2016
    I think this does happen to me! I always have a "dream" about stumbling down the stairs and I jerk awake.

People always talked about that "falling" sensation and I never really got it because always thought it was like falling off a tall building. If it actually is like this and I'm talking about something else feel free to let me know xD

Years
  • I think this does happen to me! I always have a "dream" about stumbling down the stairs and I jerk awake.

People always talked about that "falling" sensation and I never really got it because always thought it was like falling off a tall building. If it actually is like this and I'm talking about something else feel free to let me know xD

I think it sometimes vary since sometimes I dream that I'm running and I trip or I'm sitting on a tree branch that's waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy too high or the usual, falling off a tall building.

Years
  • I think it sometimes vary since sometimes I dream that I'm running and I trip or I'm sitting on a tree branch that's waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy too high or the usual, falling off a tall building.

XD I've too many of them lately xD #Iamexhausted. Sometime my dream of falling or tripping was related to real world thing like falling from chair in uni and then I jolt awake WHAT THE HELL or like I'm conquering the world and destroying things with one punch......oh! That's other one c;

About that granny theory.....man! That's way too deep, why angels were trying to kidnap me these past few days but hopefully my brain saved me XD.

I think this does happen to me! I always have a "dream" about stumbling down the stairs and I jerk awake.

Na na! You have posted a awesome post. The main purpose of thread is to tell people why this happens that's all. You're free to share any thought about it ^ _ ^.

Years
  • I'm not sure if I've ever experienced this but sometimes I've had nightmare-ish visions that have happened minutes after I fell asleep only for me to find myself awake again.

Or I've also fallen asleep during boring class lectures and still managed to hear the professor lecturing.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Go figure. Sounds like a plausible explanation and certainly makes more sense than my "it happens because I focused so hard on my thoughts that they feel too real". For me, it was usually just the same old "look to the ground, but stumble anyway" situation that I encountered during such an event.

I also remember being able to trigger it multiple times in a row on certain occasions even without being tired...

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Sometimes I dream of scary things that jolts be to wake or heard some scary noise that disturb my sleep pattern

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
    Years
  • yeah, this has happened to me The "jerking awake" also happens to me at the moment when, in most of my dreams, I realize I'm dreaming, and it wakes my up for some reason.

Back